Quad build.

I can see them now following an update to my browser and letting my internet catch up to everything.
Just out of curiosity why did you use a hub motor instead of a mid-drive or actual hub motors in the wheels directly?

I can see them now following an update to my browser and letting my internet catch up to everything.
Just out of curiosity why did you use a hub motor instead of a mid-drive or actual hub motors in the wheels directly?

we had the hub motors already. So a lot cheaper than buying a mid drive.

As we used them in the wheels, we had to buy the versions that can be mounted on one side. I don't want amount on both sides. It makes the quad wider.
Those hub motors are expensive. Changing them yourself is possible, but then we needed more motors and controlers.

It was the easiest and cheapest way to go.
The hub motor is reliable, easy to repair and we can choose witch controler we use.

A good a reason as any. I thought maybe they offered more torque than a mid-drive or there wasn't a bicycle equivalent of a single swing arm mounted hub motor. My e-bike knowledge is limited as there are not many around in our area and only one local shop that sells them.

Mid drive has more torque, but as you get a big enough hub motor, then the torque isn't the problem anymore. These motors have enough torque and with the gearing, you get a lot more torque.
So it isn't needed to get an expensive misdrive.

I have not yet reached 1500w on my controler and that one peaks over 2000w.

Yeah, I would love to use a higher-powered motor, but they hit you with hefty fines and take the bike if they catch you with anything over 750-watts around where I am. I would rather not have that happen. Most of the quad bicycles I've looked at are all UK or Australian designed so have the 250-watt limited mid drives on them. In all the videos they seem to have no issues with this power level and the quads zip along with riders and some considerable weight in the back. I only want to use the max allowed here of 750-watts because of the steep hills in a few areas and rather long shallow hills that just kill your momentum until you have no choice but to get off a normal bike and walk it up the rest of the way. There are no videos of an Armadillo or Pony4 heavy cargo going on hills only tons of videos of them zipping around on paved streets or bike paths. There is one video of an Armadillo with the funny soft side body shell going over a long shallow bridge over a motorway and it does not appear to slow down much. I found one video by a fellow where he's on a cross country trek with a very heavily loaded Armadillo maybe even overloaded and he is still able to climb a hill like around here at about 8-9 KPH just pedaling with minimal assist from the mid drive due to low battery. In the video he explains that due to shade from trees and the solar panel somehow getting unplugged from the charge controller his battery nearly died. He was way out in the woods quite a way from the nearest town.

That is why i go for a mobility scooter. Then i can use it without any problems. It stays under 25kmh and i can use a throttle.

The armadillo is designed for replacing vans in the city. Not for long rides outside the city.
Hills not to steap will not be a problem, but it limits the weight that they can carry.

The pony 4 is also used by people and home. It is smaller and less comfort, but fir pafed roads it is fine.
You can choose the motor on it.

Back