Why do I want stuff that is absolutely no use to me ?

Hi all

So my weekly work out is a ride to Mothers and back 8.5 miles there and 3 short steep hills 2 long hills takes about 1 hr - return anywhere between 6-14 miles depending on route.

So why do I want :-
a) tilting trike - analysing the above route there is only 1 bend that I slow down for on the Python trike otherwise tilting brings NOTHING to the party !!!

b) suspension - analysing the above route there is only about 1 mile where the pavement is bad enough to warrant suspension and that is over quickly and the noise from the pannier [ tools-pump-spanners - puncture repair kit etc ] is more annoying than the bumpy ride ?

c) velomobile - analysing the above route there are at least 10 barriers like this that a velomobile can't pass through [ bearing in mind my route is at the side of a ring road on the pavement):

In the above where you can see 2 sets railings at each end Mansfield only deploys 1 set at the ends making them very narrow and a challenge even on the 2 wheeled recumbents I ride !!!

So all these things would be heavier than existing Python Trike and a) + b) would be little improvement for the added complexity and c) could not be used on a journey I make at least 3 times a week.....

So why won't the brain accept this and put it's thinking into somethinking more practical ???

puzzled Paul

The tilting thing does boost your ego when you wiggle it and everyone looks. It does nothing for practicality and adds a lot of weight. I built mine because I wanted to and could not because I needed one. Nobody needs one but desire is a harsh mistress.
Either:-
Be like the stone - the stone wants for nothing. Desire is the root cause of all unhappiness.
or:-
You're only on this ball of dust a short time so go for it. Better to have done it and possibly regretted it than not to have done it and definitely regretted it.

The tilting thing does boost your ego when you wiggle it and everyone looks.
Nailed in in one , I go to several bike meets and rides in the year and wanted to rock up at one on something resembling a normal trike then nonchalantly step off it and let it collapse behind me :D

You're only on this ball of dust a short time so go for it. Better to have done it and possibly regretted it than not to have done it and definitely regretted it.
But ... I don't have the time to do what I need to do nor the space to store unused objects ? so why waste time dreaming of these contraptions ?

Suspension was abandoned on the Python Mk2 rear end and cost me probably 6 months work/delay instead of just making what I have now which still needs improving some what ......

I get asked that question about things I'm keeping.
Usually I don't have an answer, other than, ' I might need it someday'.
There is a sense of satisfaction, that comes, when you find that one special 'whatever',
that has been laying around for the last twenty years, and it fits the need perfectly.

In regards to your build thoughts, "If you build it, then its done". Simple as that.
We don't always need rhyme or reason to create things ....for example

Need I say more ?

I would admit to having a foot in both camps. I like the challenge of making something new & unusual (mainly for the challenge that it represents) but I also see the honest value in keeping things as simple as possible.
Personally, I don't like front suspension (I always feels it is like being on a pogo stick bouncing and diving on braking). I built a tilting mechanism for the Delta, but it scared me rigid. :D

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
If in doubt, throw it out. If only I could apply that.

It is not a straightforward decision. No-one else knows what is in your mind. Recall those things you have that are too valuable to throw out but you couldn't sell if you tried? Although you could use the space, you keep hanging on to it? Years pass by and one day when you are no longer in control of it, someone who has to clean the place up will just casually throw it out. All it has done is take up space that you could have used for something else. Unfortunately, it may just as easily be thrown out.

Like many others, I'm sure, I have a shed full of things that I obtained because I had a planned use for them. Unfortunately, I should have spent more time using them instead of collecting more.

History does not record the name of the man who said: "I told Orville and I told Wilbur - that thing will not fly!"

You seek to build because you seek to push the boundaries of the possible - perhaps the DIY-possible rather than possible-at-all. You may or may not succeed, but you'll never know until you try. And succeed or fail, your work may inspire someone else to try, and they may succeed.

There are dozens of AZ plans and Brad doesn't still have all those bikes. But his building and publishing has inspired other people to improve their lives.

Hi all

So why do I want :-

So why won't the brain accept this and put it's thinking into somethinking more practical ???

puzzled Paul
Below is my ..." So why do I want".

This build was/is impracticable, in many ways.
It will eventually be chopped up and the pieces used for something more practicable, art or trashed.
But I don't regret making it. I learned from it, and a certain satisfaction derived from just doing it.

You make a compelling argument for why you should not complete your build as designed.

I agree that if there is..
no storage space,
no satisfactory route to ride,
no practicable use for the design, well I guess it boils down to ..... desire....as Popshot said,
" Nobody needs one but desire is a harsh mistress".

To find the answer you seek, Master Stormbird, overcome desire, you must.