Warrior Trike Front Wheels

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and am really excited to be starting my first project - the Warrior Trike. I've already started looking for cheap old mountain bikes to start gathering the parts I need.
The bit I don't get in the instructions is the front wheels - Are they made from all new parts, hubs and rims? I was hoping to use some old BMX 20" wheels.

Does anyone have any specific links to the "20mm hollow axle hub" parts it mentions, as I'm really not sure what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Tim

I bought new hubs and rims on Ebay and took them to the local bike shop to lace up.

It is not obvious where you live ?

If using BMX wheels you need 14mm axles , IMHO 20mm is not needed and overkill [ unless you find a good deal somewhere ]

The hard bit is finding BMX wheels that have disc brakes !

Paul

True. Almost all 14mm axled 20" wheels will not have a disc mount. Three options:-
Use 14mm axled BMX wheels and bodge the disc mount by getting wheels with a thread for screw on disc adapter. You need to bolt the disc adapter through the hub as the left wheel will simply unscrew the adapter on braking. I also epoxied the adapter on as well as bolting it. You'll need wheels with enough hub flange to allow you to do this.

The 2nd option is to do it properly and build your own wheels. As Paul says 20mm is overkill and only needed if being exceptionally aggressive off-road. Sturmey do a single sided hub with a 12mm axle and that is the size hub I'd look for. These would be fine and use a centrelock disc.
There are other similar ones with 36 spokes but they get a lot more expensive as they also move up the quality scale.
If you insist on 20mm then:-
and these use a conventional disc mount. Be aware 20mm bolts cost a lot more than 12mm and weigh a LOT more too.

You could also look for a 15mm thru axle hub and get a 15mm to 12mm sleeve to enable you to use a 12mm bolt. 15mm bolts don't exist or if they do are rocking horse poo. The 15mm alloy "bolt" that normally goes in them is only going to work if held at both ends and that isn't going to work for single sided mounting.

The 3rd option is to use sturmey single sided hubs with built in drum brakes. Nice but very expensive.

Do make sure that if you make your own wheels you buy rims with the same number of holes as the hubs. There are spoke length calculators on the net to enable you to buy the right size and lacing wheels is a doddle. It looks complex but it's not.

Do NOT use 3/8 axles which form the majority of cheap BMX wheels. They won't take single sided mounting.

To give an indication of cost for new wheels.

Azub sells the SA 90mm braked wheels for €118, and 6 bolt patern disk brake wheels for €170 each. (these have a 15mm shaft)

(Sturmey Archer 90mm brake hubs go for €60 each)

Thanks guys! Really helpful. BTW, I'm in Southampton (just updated my profile :) )
Tim
I'm in Southampton too, gathering parts and grinding ready for welding. I have 3 mtb rear triangles with springs, various tubing bits, bmx front end with disc brakes, some head tubes and bb shells, and samagaga rear axle and differential plus hubs, sunlite rear axle and 7 mag wheels , atomic zombie plans, lots of books and some old bikes, gasless mig and stick units.. go kart steering set up .. I've just mastered cutting tubes neatly and am practicing notching round tubing.

Website
community.webshots.com
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and am really excited to be starting my first project - the Warrior Trike. I've already started looking for cheap old mountain bikes to start gathering the parts I need.
The bit I don't get in the instructions is the front wheels - Are they made from all new parts, hubs and rims? I was hoping to use some old BMX 20" wheels.

Does anyone have any specific links to the "20mm hollow axle hub" parts it mentions, as I'm really not sure what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Tim
Use. 5/8 bolt an a 5 / 8 inside dia bass pipe . Put the pipe in a drill and us belt sander as the pipe spin to bring it down to the right diameter

Ian

Hi
I almost ready to start. I'm looking at going down the route of buying two cheap 20 inch kids bikes for my parts supply. So I will buy new hubs and rebuild the front wheels to take disc brakes and have strong axles. I have a couple of questions about the front stub axles on a Warrior.
Looking at the TOOIC 20mm through axle hubs mentioned above:
  1. does that mean the axle they run on is 20mm in diameter? I know it sounds obvious, but is it?
  2. I assume there are two bearings, one on each side and so could I save some axle weight by turning down a couple of mm between bearing surfaces?
  3. I plan on using the pedal ends of cranks for the axle mounting stub points so that I will have one reverse thread to keep both axles tight. A pedal thread is about 14mm which I think should be strong enough.
Hi timnuttuk, if you google Kmotion 20mm hubs that should take you to a website which should get you started.

If anyone can help with my questions before I have to part with real money sight unseen that would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

The TOOIC hubs use a 20mm shaft. And yes, as long you can support the bearings you can turn down the shaft a bit in between.
But I would skim off a mm or so, to make mounting the hub over the shaft easier.
For weight purposes. Tube is stronger weight for weight compared to a smaller diameter shaft. I would drill a 10mm hole trough the shaft.

The 20mm refers to the inside dimension of the bearings. As expected they use a 20mm bolt as the axle but if you were to buy 20mm tube to pass through it wouldn't fit without heat on the bearings and a lot of forcing. A 20mm bolt will be just under 20mm (approx 19.8mm) at the shank to fit a 20mm bearing. Pedal cranks are usually 9/16. So long as you can get the relevant thread on the bolt head they should do fine. As the mounts will be 9/16 it would seem that the inside part of the bolt not resting on bearings could be turned to 9/16 too. As already suggested look at turning ramps to the bearing seats from the cut to make it easier to slot the axle in rather than a straight channel cut.

Last edited:

Ian

Sorry for the delay in answering. Life is a little busy at the moment. Thanks Popshot and River. I appreciate the information.
Also as Homer Simpson says Doh! I have since re-read the plans and it is all there in black and white as well. But its going to be an interesting time.