Warrior head tube length?

I'm making two warriors, so I'll get my first one back to use since everyone else likes riding it.

They're not sure about under seat steering. So I'm going to try to set up these two with the ability to have under seat and above seat.

My plan is to not cut down the head tubes or the fork stems. It will be set up to work with under seat and if thry want above seat, just drop in the handles and tighten them like a normal bike and remove the handle bars from underneath and move the brakes and shifters.

I don't see any issues with the control rods after looking over the streetfox plans. I looked at my first warrior and it has the clearance. I'm still going to mount the boom to the head tube the same distance up from the bottom of the racing cup so the extra length will be above and no affect the rest of the build.

The plans say the length is required, but I don't understand why the head tubes would have to be cut shorter, am I missing something, any advice or input or issues anyone can forsee?

The head tubes can be left at any length. The only "issue" is one of aesthetics, so if a long tube is not a visual problem then it's fine

In my view you are wasting your time , ASS direct steering is not pleasant it can be extremely twitchy.

Most people once they have experienced direct do the opposite and make their trikes USS , if you do a quick trawl of commercial trikes I suspect you will find 80% + have USS and only the really cheap ones have ASS .

I am not a tadpole man so take this with a pinch of salt.

There are several on here who have built both , I am sure they will be along soon to add their experiences ...

YMMV Paul

It'll actually be a time saver, i won't have to shorten the head tubes or fork stems.

My own view is also that direct steering is unpleasant. USS has a forwards and backwards component which cancel each other out, leaving the rider with no force acting on them. Direct steering is all one way leaving the rider pushing themselves left and right in the seat.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
My experience is only with direct steering. I kept the head tubes original length, used matching headstems, cut two handlebars at one end of the straight piece, inserted them in the handlebar clamps (old style) with the handlebar facing outwards, angled them back at about 45 degrees and fitted standard bike controls. The handlebar angle remains adjustable for personal preference. More than happy with the result and have never used anything else. Steering is very close to what you get with a bike, one arm pulls, the other either pushes or just follows.

Ordinarily, twitch is not a problem unless on an unstable surface, off camber, approaching 40km/h or, any combination thereof - something I don't normally do. You can exceed the safety point with anything if you try hard enough. Don't go anywhere near it and you'll be OK. Throw caution to the wind and you know what the result could be. However, testing is something else.