Tilter mk3

I'm equally sure that mastering those improvements will be well worth it as the smiles per mile are way in excess of anything-else I've built (so far). Anyone with ideas in their head should get them out of there and into steel.
Glad the wonder is still there and you are still learning/enjoying the experience.

I having been tilting for a year [ to clarify purely trike riding ] I am no longer in wonder mode and only slightly still learning however am I enjoying it ?
I am no longer sure , it meets the brief of being taller and narrower than previous versions , however tilting itself for me is a 50/50 affair.
It can be a chore not being able to ride hands free and at times having to force the seat upright because the trike is going straight but at an angle , however cornering is a joy and gratuitous tilting is fun.
However how much of a ride is cornering compare with riding in a straight-ish line ?

Paul

Depends how you measure it. In distance, probably small. In enjoyment, it's probably most of it.
I'm of a similar mind. For me , a big part is in the "fun of tilting". I bought my first motorcycle in 1961 (a used 250cc BSA) and I have always loved the feeling of tilting in corners at higher speeds.
Now-a-days, even at much slower pedaling speeds, tilting and cornering is still a great feeling and the additional stability provided by laterally separated wheels (trike/quad) gives me the confidence to still enjoy cornering without feeling those lateral forces. And the lack of lateral forces, especially when slowly traversing a side-slope is also a bonus.
Cheers

I've put in a 127mm bb for extra clearance. The big ring is now fine but the small is still tight. Given the motor the small ring is largely redundant tbh. I moved the pas sensor to the right hand side as that's where it was designed to be. I deliberately took it through Ossett precinct for maximum ogle factor and wasn't disappointed by the heads swivelling.:) All being well I'll take it for a longer run tomorrow to shake it down.

Go YOU! :D

Good times mate!

Taco anyone?

Got into a tankslapper at about 35mph down a big hill. Got it down to about 10mph before it coughed me off on the high side. Fortunately the high side is very low. A couple of scuffs to my elbow and a twinge in my back. Biggest damage is to the wallet. The question is whether to rebuild just the one that's taccoed with an identical rim or get a stronger pair?

Popshot

Glad to hear you are ok.

Were you not strong enough to control it ? or were other things coming into play ?

Are you going to go twin walled ?

Paul

Just not strong enough to stop it. The rims currently fitted are these...

Relatively thin across. I'm thinking of something more BMX oriented with multiple box sections and fatter. I'm also going to fit a steering damper. I'm well aware it's designed to mask an issue rather than solve it but better that than nothing.

Last edited:
OMG Popshot, that's a lucky escape indeed.
Was it a long painful walk home, or did the "team" come and rescue you?
When something goes it really goes and its all over in a few seconds. Especially at speed.
You got off relatively lightly I think (thank goodness).

My daughter has a Kuga which just about swallows it. It's the 2nd time she's got me home after the BMS died a week ago. The battery maker fixed it without any fuss. A 72 year old cyclist stopped and enquired about my misfortune which passed the time awaiting recovery. It could have been a lot worse. At least the chap behind me in a van stopped and shielded me whilst I hauled it over the armco onto the path and I wasn't thrown under anything. The "twinge" in my back is giving me a lot more grief now than it did at the time. Ah the joys of bouncing down the road in your dotage! I thought my bouncing days were behind me by now! I distinctly remember I used to bounce better than this.:(

My daughter has a Kuga which just about swallows it. It's the 2nd time she's got me home after the BMS died a week ago. The battery maker fixed it without any fuss. A 72 year old cyclist stopped and enquired about my misfortune which passed the time awaiting recovery. It could have been a lot worse. At least the chap behind me in a van stopped and shielded me whilst I hauled it over the armco onto the path and I wasn't thrown under anything. The "twinge" in my back is giving me a lot more grief now than it did at the time. Ah the joys of bouncing down the road in your dotage! I thought my bouncing days were behind me by now! I distinctly remember I used to bounce better than this.:(
I hope the pain recedes and the bruises/scrapes fade ASAP.
I remember that it took me months to get the NHS to even do the repair operation and 3 or more months after that to recover from the operation when I ripped my tendon off the bone in my little 29MPH spill.
It does make you a lot more cautious in the future, that's for sure.
Best wishes for a speed y return to pain-free.

If you're not strong enough to do the job, you need assist or leverage. Assist if it's a speed/force issue. Leverage will work if speed is less an issue.

And wheels with less TACO vurnability would be a good idea.

I've bought a pair of Sun Black Label rims like the picture above. They are arguably among the strongest that exist, though like every rim are designed to be strong on a bike not a trike.

I've bought a pair of Sun Black Label rims like the picture above. They are arguably among the strongest that exist, though like every rim are designed to be strong on a bike not a trike.
But as it's a tilting trike surely this plays to their strengths?
I use SunRingle CR18's all the time and have had a bad taco when a tie-rod came adrift at speed and the wheel went 90° to the direction of travel.
The double-wall box-structure does make them pretty strong (IMHO). They spoke tension @ 100Kgf max and I think the wheel is load rated at c.150Kg.

A shiny new pair of wheels. The raised lip on the rims didn't help get the nipple spanner on but it was completed nonetheless. I'll get a new pair of high tensile bolts Monday then it'll be up and running again but I'm really wanting that steering damper before making any speed on it.