The "Transcender"... comments welcome!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I found this in my stash of 50+ notepads.

This screw drive amphibian would traverse land, water, snow, swamp, and all hostile terrain.
Great for a trip down the creek, over the beaver dam, up the hill, through the grass, and back home.
Also great for driving through the wilderness in deep soft snow.

Only pavement would be a problem, but the vehicle could travel sideways to "jockey" across a road.

I am seriously considering making it. A bunch of old propane tanks for the screws, and an electric drive much like The Yard Mule. Skid steer would be accomplished via levered belt clutches.

If I did make this, it would of course become a DIY Plan.

Brad

Website
miscdotgeek.com
That would be very cool! I'd love to see it with the option for a gas powered motor as well. Or... Hybrid drive! That way if you float too far down the river you can still fire up the gas motor and get home. That thing could be a neat farm tractor of sorts :) Not that I've ever lived on a farm :p

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Yes, that's the tractor I remember seeing. There are a few good examples of screw drives out there. I have further sketches that incorporate a front screw section so that the support arm is not the first thing that hits an obstacle. I am also going for a much lighter vehicle with much larger "screw pontoons" so that it will be functional on the lake, across the mucky bog or right out on the front yard in the tall grass.

Looking at the above photo, imagine removing the tractor and replacing it with a canoe sized housing. Also increase the screw body diameter about twice as much.

Brad

While I admire the creativity its a plan and a project that will soak up time resource etc. etc. and probably have a very, very limited appeal (I could be wrong, of course).
Its a solution looking for a problem perhaps?
I suspect the vast majority of AZ visitors are suburban folks for whom this would be "quirky" and "interesting" but the number of plan buyers/builders you could probably count on one or possibly two hands.
Would a plan/design for something with broader and more popular appeal be a better investment at this time?
Completing your Velo would probably get a lot more attention and sales perhaps.

None of my business (of course) but I want you to make a few more $C to compensate you for the wonderful job you do.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
It's a valid point for sure, and one I now consider each time I scare the groundhogs out of my workspace!

I wasn't sure about the YardMule when I started, but because I really needed it, I made it anyhow.
It is now in the top 5 out of the 40 plans I have online, which was a real surprise indeed.

The Velo is under a collapsed roof, completely rusted and all wood rotted, so that is a done deal.
If one day I have a rain proof workspace, I will probably do a "lost foam" fiberglass streamlined trike of some sort.

Back Yard Ninja Gym made from mainly 4x4's is also on my "out of the box" list to try one day.

Brad

It's a valid point for sure, and one I now consider each time I scare the groundhogs out of my workspace!

I wasn't sure about the YardMule when I started, but because I really needed it, I made it anyhow.
It is now in the top 5 out of the 40 plans I have online, which was a real surprise indeed.

The Velo is under a collapsed roof, completely rusted and all wood rotted, so that is a done deal.
If one day I have a rain proof workspace, I will probably do a "lost foam" fiberglass streamlined trike of some sort.

Back Yard Ninja Gym made from mainly 4x4's is also on my "out of the box" list to try one day.

Brad
Now you're talking. A wall-hung or free-standing pull-up bar and LAT-DIP station plan would sell I think.
But go look on Amazon or e-bay and they are pretty-cheap to buy anyway.
Pull-Up station

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I was thinking about something more substantial, like the obstacle course on the show American Ninja Warrior.
It would include everything for a full body routine (think giant universal station), but some dexterity building components as well.
Weights would be driven either by lever or pulley, probably a sand filled adjustable and shared central stack.

Salmon ladder is a good example of the Ninja Warrior component, maybe some kind of gauntlet like run made of tires, ropes, etc.

The goal would be to use it all year round as well, getting an intense workout in half an hour.

Would need maybe a 40 foot square area, but easy enough to build.
For this one, i would keep welded parts to a minimum.

Brad

Now you're talking. A wall-hung or free-standing pull-up bar and LAT-DIP station plan would sell I think.
But go look on Amazon or e-bay and they are pretty-cheap to buy anyway.
Pull-Up station

To Brad:

I don't know how to send this picture to AZ.com.
Velomobile www3.sympatico.ca/bowden10/velomobile.html
Foam fiberglass sandwich construction.

2 trade offs, use cheaper foam like Mr Bowden (extruded polystyrene) but the epoxy resin is about $150 US/ gal.
Or use expensive Urethane foam with cheaper polyester resin.
Polyester resin melts polystyrene (insulation) foam. Either way glass reinforcing fabric is also needed.
lots of good info at www.fiberglasssupply.com (yes that is 3 s)

Jeffstuff!

To vk3ckc: You should use Thinking/Contemplating/Procrastinating... the story of my life!

Jeffstuff!

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
To vk3ckc: You should use Thinking/Contemplating/Procrastinating... the story of my life!

Jeffstuff!
Procrastinating: An often maligned process that is really used to ensure the best possible result when the task is eventually completed.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
When you look at the 50+ notebooks full of designs I have, it could be said that I am a crastinator as well, and a Pro at it!
For me, it is all about time though, so what is a more fitting term?

Brad

Website
miscdotgeek.com
I don't procrastinate, I use VAST: Variable Attention Span Technology. I currently have one unfinished ham radio project, another planned ham radio project, several blog posts unfinished, and a trike build in progress- nevermind the actual stuff that I need to do!

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
As advancing years make their presence felt, take consolation from the fact that you are still able to do something rather than dwelling on what you are not finishing. I have a friend who says, "It's all part of the choices we make every day - to do this or to do that." Having obvious things still to do avoids circumstances where you have the time to think of and add more things to the list of things that you still have to do. Taking time gives you the opportunity to make it better. For the want of 5 minutes more planning and designing ...

Things that are not yet finished still annoy me a little as I like to get them finished, and there are a few amateur radio things in there, but, when it is all said and done, if they are not life threatening, they don't really matter. Part of the problem with having an active, fertile, mind I guess.

And then there is the daily Atomic Zombie time for which we can all thankfully blame Brad.

I have a list of over 50 things that need to be completed.
The last item on the list...... Find the list, of things to be completed..😄