The "Covinator" - a Physical Distancing Enforcement Device (P-DED).

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I have noticed that some are not following the physical distance recommendations that have been recommended, so I have decided to take matters into my own hands by creating this body worn electrical pain field generator. As promised, here is a complete step-by-step DIY tutorial showing how you can build your own Covinator using 2 microwave ovens, some basic steel parts, a car battery, and the high voltage capacitor from an old military radar system.

The completed Covinator is designed to be worn as a back back device as shown here...

You will require 2 working microwave ovens. They must be identical because the way the high voltage generator works. Creating a balanced differential between the charge pump capacitor and the output from both magnetrons, the high voltage field generated will be well over a million volts. Anyone within a 10 foot range of the output antenna will feel a very intense pain, much like the heat from an oven when you first open the door. Those who continue to wander into your "safe zone" will be struck by the high voltage arc, which can reach a potential of well over one million volts.

Start by removing the covers on your microwave oven pair. You must wear proper high voltage rated gloves, as there are capacitors inside that are lethal to touch. If you are not qualified to work with high voltage equipment, seek advice from an electrician before removing the cover. The yellow arrows are showing the magnetron and power transformer, which are both used in the HV generator.

Take every single component from both ovens, and lay them out as shown here. It is absolutely critical that all parts are a matched pair or else your high voltage generator may become imbalanced. Becasue of the directional nature of the pain field antenna, a small imbalance in either side of the HV generator could shock the user with a lethal voltage. If the serial number or date code is even a single digit different on any matched pair, you must find a another oven to use for parts. Do NOT use a mismatched magnetron pair in this design.

Obviously, you cannot simply plug into an AC outlet to power your Covinator, or your travel would be restricted to the length of the extension cord! To step up the voltage from the car battery, you can simply make a DC inverter by using the original microwave oven transformers. Since I have covered this in another tutorial on the main page of atomiczombie.com, I will just show the final design here. In my design, I opted for a series / parallel step up system that actually overdrives the magnetrons by twice their rated power. Although this has worked well, I don't advise this as some heat was generated. Living in Ontario, it is never above zero, so my magnetrons were able to run at double their rated voltage with a 50% duty cycle.

Notice, the phase wiring of the secondary outputs, which are in an anit-phase configuration so that the output looks like a center tap. This is important in order to create a differential voltage between each magnetron. If you wire the output stage in phase, voltage will be cancelled, and you may damage your capacitor.

The capacitor is the heart of the Covinator, responsible for the high current pulses that feed the step up transformers that in turn engage the magnetrons. The capacitors shown here are rated at .5uF and 1 million volts. You can use any capacitor with at least a 1 million volt rating, and a power density of .2 microfarads. I found these on a surplus store that was selling used military gear, and they were used in a battleship radar system. Although they were manufactured in 1978, they have been stored properly, and all of them check out to be functional.

I purchased a dozen of these capacitors as you can actually do a lot of fun stuff with them. Here is a another HV project made...

You can also find similar capacitors in defibrillators, but you will need to place 16 of them in parallel to acquire the current needed for this project. Remember to short the terminals of the capacitor with a wire before handling, they are extremely lethal just as many of the components we are working with here.

In order to ensure complete safety, it is recommended that you also add a digital keypad switch so that you do not accidentally engage the high voltage generator while indoors, or during close contact with those allowed in your safe zone. You can find the microcontroller source code for this simple to make keypad system on the Tutorials Page.

Also shown in the photo is a mercury switch, which will cut power to the device in the even that the operator has fallen. This will ensure that if you trip, you will not be exposed to the 1 million volts that charge the pain field antenna. Remember, safety first - especially when working with instantly lethal voltages!

Here is the schematic for the simple keypad controller that enables the high voltage power supply. Please note that you must choose a microcontroller that is radiation hardened since the magnetron can produce x-rays as well as microwaves due to the harmonic nature of running it without any waveguides. All AVR microcontrollers have radiation hardened versions available at a marginal price increase.

The harness is very simple to make using a few hardware store conduit elbows and a 16 inch length of square tubing. Weld together as shown here...

I highly recommend you do an initial "burn test" before attempting to wear the Covinator in public. Engage the system and then ensure that the high voltage plasma arcs that are formed between the outputs of the magnetrons and the pain field antenna inputs are uniform, and strong. Placing any object near the pain field antenna should result in rapid heating and flames as shown here and in the demonstration video. be careful with highly conductive objects such as vehicles and stair railings as you will create a huge voltage potential across their surfaces. it is highly recommended that you do not operate the Covinator indoors, as many buildings are constructed using steel studs in the walls.

Here is a quick demonstration video I made to show proper and safe operation of the Covinator Physical Distancing Enforcement System...

Thanks for stopping by!
Stay safe, stay home, and remember to share a smile with your fellow hackers!

Cheers!
Radical Brad

Last edited:
Website
www.lucidscience.com
This is awesome, I have been following along and am about half way through a build now.

So I have a good arc happening from the magnetrons, but one side seems a bit inconsistent, like it is sparking and sputtering a bit. I noticed a bit of arcing from the capacitor case to the main control circuit as well.

Any advice?

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Great to hear that your Covinator is coming along.
It sounds like a phase mismatch, and it should be an easy fix.
Try reversing the HV input polarity on a single magnetron as shown here.

The reason for this is because we are operating the magnetron using pulsed DC rather than AC as in normal operation.
This difference causes a highly directional output of high energy microwaves, which are the catalyst in starting the arcs.
The same phenomena can be observed if you accidentally leave a fork in the microwave when you are heating your lunch.
Of course in our case, we are dealing with 100x the energy thanks to the 80 pound high voltage capacitor.

After that, your high voltage arc stream should look like mine...

Notice the multiple arc branches - this is a sign of a good strong power supply.
Humidity can also effect the arc, so avoid operation during a dense fog, and certainly don't use the device in the rain.

let me know how it works after you change the polarity.

Cheers,
Radical Brad

This is awesome, I have been following along and am about half way through a build now.

So I have a good arc happening from the magnetrons, but one side seems a bit inconsistent, like it is sparking and sputtering a bit. I noticed a bit of arcing from the capacitor case to the main control circuit as well.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Sadly I suspect our government would take a dim view of anyone making this in the UK. Over here a stun device such as a taser is classed as a section 5 weapon putting it in the same group as an AK47 and garnering you a 5 year minimum stretch.

Website
www.lucidscience.com
hey thanks for all the advice!
I decided to used the HV capacitors from 15 old microwaves I found at the dump. They are wired in series to make them handle the new voltage.
I also tried a 3 phase system, using the motor driver from a brushless RC car to drive all of the charge cycles.
This seems to work very well, but I am not sure how to make the body suit from it.

I will report back when I am done the project.
Better stay clear of my safe zone people!!!

NW

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
The "special" design of this unit makes it 100% legal in any place on earth, I absolutely guarantee that.
When asked, I also just claim that I am doing research on paranormal activity, and that this device is a PK meter.
I might build one to surround the entire house next, but that might require 40 or more ovens for parts.

Brad

Sadly I suspect our government would take a dim view of anyone making this in the UK. Over here a stun device such as a taser is classed as a section 5 weapon putting it in the same group as an AK47 and garnering you a 5 year minimum stretch.

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Wow, NorthernWolf, that design is lookin' great!
I am surprised by how strong the arcs are with that 3 phase configuration.
You should be able to extend your personal safe zone up to 30 feet with that one.
Keep us posted on your progress, and remember not to touch the "moving parts"!

Cheers,
Radical Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Actually yes!
If you place the unit on a table like I have in the video, you can add a steel ground plane and then place items inside the antenna to heat them up.
Be careful though because at this point, the current draw is too much to maintain the high voltage arc, and the magnetrons will once again be emitting 2.4GHz microwave radiation.
You will have to use a remote switch since the power density here will not allow you to be within 30 feet of the unit when it is in microwave emission mode.
Of course, that is based on rough calculations with my antenna and capacitor using the basic free-space path loss formula.

Just remember to play it safe when overpowering unconstrained microwave magnetrons with a million volts of high current pulses.

Your first mistake would also be your last.

Cheers,
Radical Brad

Can it defrost frozen peas?

Last edited:
If one is wearing a mask anyway, wouldn't a shirt or sign saying..'.I have leprosy' work just as well? :LOL:

You can catch it if you come into close contact with nose and mouth droplets from someone with untreated leprosy.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Unfortunately, from what I have seen, the sheep require the wolf to motivate them.
Since I am not ready to die, I shall be showing plenty of teeth as needed.

If one is wearing a mask anyway, wouldn't a shirt or sign saying..'.I have leprosy' work just as well? :LOL:

You can catch it if you come into close contact with nose and mouth droplets from someone with untreated leprosy.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
hackaday picks up the Covinator in order to spread the technology to the community...

Seems some actually understand the "true purpose" of the machine, but most don't read the article text and jump right on in!
I see this kind of thing on social medial a lot now. An article may only include two lines of text.

For example...

You can power an e-bike using a vacuum cleaner motor.
You will need a 50,000 foot extension cord.

After posting something like that, I will be hammered with the following questions....

"this is crazy, how do you get 120 volts from batteries??"
"doesn't this require AC power form an outlet??"
"please explain how you expect us to power this"

Some are so quick on the draw to "disprove" something that they in turn become the catalyst for the original joke!
In the Hackaday article, it even spells out the phrase "gag project", which makes all of the responses worth so much more!
Must be part of that "A.D.D." social media trend... read the first line and then jump all over something.

Oh well, the Covinator has served its intended purpose very well, at least for some!
The technology has been proven to work for many decades.... https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/articles/200504/laughter-the-best-medicine

Cheers,
Radical Brad

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Just be careful when handing the 1 million volt battleship radar capacitor!
last time I picked one of these up from the military surplus yard, it was fully charged.

Also make sure to de-bur the square tubing after cutting, it can cause a nasty nick on your finger.
.... just want to be sure we all play it safe.

Cheers!
Radical Brad

I find parts of this project really shocking. Maybe that neans it has served its purpose.

Also make sure to de-bur the square tubing after cutting, it can cause a nasty nick on your finger.
.... just want to be sure we all play it safe.

Cheers!
Radical Brad
NOW ! you tell me.😧 I don't remember that in any of the plans.
You didn't say anything about 'round' tubing.
Excuse me while go dress my finger. :oops: