Sturmey Archer hubs for my project?

Hi All

New to the forum, this is my first post.

I am hoping to (finally) make a start on my first build in the near future. Still haven't decided between the StreetFox and the Warrior - any views as to which of these would be easier for a first timer?

One of the key components I still have to identify/source is the type of hub for the front wheels. I have found a vendor of BMX hubs in Germany, leaving me to find matching spokes and rims. In that scenario I'd be a virgin wheel builder, also. ;-)

Reading through previous threads on this forum, I've found a few references to the use of Sturmey Archer hubs in tadpole builds. However, some of the comments appear to be contradictory/confusing (to me, at least). I have some pre-loved 24" wheels with SA braked hubs (70mm drums), fitted with 9mm axles. Isn't that axle considered to be too small/weak? There isn't enough metal in the casting to allow machining/boring out to a larger axle, if the SA mechanical drawings are accurate.

Over in the recent "New little tool for tyre on/off" thread (https://atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/new-little-tool-for-tyre-on-off.880/), the video shows a very brief shot at 5:51 which appears to feature these hubs fitted to a velomobile.

What am I missing?

Hi All

New to the forum, this is my first post.

I am hoping to (finally) make a start on my first build in the near future. Still haven't decided between the StreetFox and the Warrior - any views as to which of these would be easier for a first timer?

One of the key components I still have to identify/source is the type of hub for the front wheels. I have found a vendor of BMX hubs in Germany, leaving me to find matching spokes and rims. In that scenario I'd be a virgin wheel builder, also. ;-)

Reading through previous threads on this forum, I've found a few references to the use of Sturmey Archer hubs in tadpole builds. However, some of the comments appear to be contradictory/confusing (to me, at least). I have some pre-loved 24" wheels with SA braked hubs (70mm drums), fitted with 9mm axles. Isn't that axle considered to be too small/weak? There isn't enough metal in the casting to allow machining/boring out to a larger axle, if the SA mechanical drawings are accurate.

Over in the recent "New little tool for tyre on/off" thread (https://atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/new-little-tool-for-tyre-on-off.880/), the video shows a very brief shot at 5:51 which appears to feature these hubs fitted to a velomobile.

What am I missing?
Tadpoles typically have single-sided mounting of their front wheels and the SA Drum hub axle (9mm) that would go through the hub of a front wheel of a normal bike is not strong-enough to be used single-sided.
My trikes have included SA 90mm drum hubs with 12mm QR axles. Stormbird on here has often used 70mm SA drum hubs but these too are primarily designed to have 12mm single sided axles.

SA list two versions of their drum braked hubs, the X-FD (70mm drum) and the XL-FD (90mm drum) in six variants.

All are listed as fitted with 9mm axles. The mechanical drawings appear to suggest that the "neck" in the casting precludes the possibility of machining out the bore for a larger diameter axle, although I haven't measured it myself.

https://postimg.cc/svqw7NGQ

Ah. I think I've found it now.

Should I be searching for XL-SD and X-SD hubs?
Yes, the SD denotes the single sided nature. The "X" is 70 mm and the XL is 90mm.

Hi All

What am I missing?
I bought some SA hubs from Ebay on the basis that they came from a tadpole trike.
They were NOT genuine SA single sided mounting hubs.
Someone had took the 9mm axled hubs and converted them [ somehow ] to have a M10 axle , i recently sold them to someone so no longer have them.
the other thing that is different about the single sided hubs is that the back plates are handed i.e a mirror image of each other makes mounting them a little easier [ not that it is easy in the first place ]
it is a problem you will also find with disc brake calipers that they are NOT handed either.

Paul

ps 70mm is perfectly adequate [ and cheaper ! ] for a trike with a rider of normal weight , it was the velomobile boys that found the 70mm were lacking due to their vehicles weight and speeds they could achieve.

s 70mm is perfectly adequate [ and cheaper ! ] for a trike with a rider of normal weight , it was the velomobile & FAT-boys that found the 70mm were lacking due to their vehicles weight and speeds they could achieve.
Is what you meant to say I think. ;)

The single sided Sturmey hubs are very nice but not cheap. A number of wheelchairs use them too if looking for secondhand ones. If funds won't stretch there's always the well trodden route of disc hubs. Treat 12mm as the minimum axle you need for single sided mounting. 12mm disc hubs are cheap and 15mm ones can easily be sleeved to take a m12 bolt. 20mm hubs are also available if you are very heavy or plan on serious off road abuse. If not wanting discs or drums then 14mm axled bmx wheels will do and will save wheelbuilding which looks hard but is really simple.

The streetfox is the simpler plan. Many combine the streetfox rear and warrior front.

Thank you Popshot, lotharko.

I've decided to "park" any idea of building my own wheels for now, in the interests of getting something built some time this century! 🙃

The search for suitable SA hubs will continue in the background, though. Who knows? I might get lucky once I stop actively searching!

In the meantime, I think I've identified suitable wheels (ready built) for sale in Germany. I'll start a new thread for that discussion...