Steel Furniture: My first Piece!

Website
miscdotgeek.com
Hi everyone,

We here in the AZ Crew know we aren't limited to building mobile things- we can build stationary things too! and I did. I've got a 6 foot table I use for a ham radio and electronics workbench (my "ham shack") and it has needed a second tier for some time. There's just not enough desk space for equipment AND working on things. So this week I built a shelf. The ends are 3/4" square tubing, the cross pieces are salvaged 1" tubing, and the top is 2x12 (1.5"x11.25") piece of douglas fir. The whole thing is coated in shellac. Here's a picture:

I've made a 5 part series on YouTube to document the build. Here's the playlist:

I didn't use anything I hadn't already used on my Trike build. Those skills transfer straight over. I have more coming- I have a bedroom shelf unit to build as well, and perhaps some other stuff as time goes by. I am really enjoying building furniture!

Thanks for reading :)

Can't see why you needed a shelf. There's nothing on the desk. ;)

Website
miscdotgeek.com
You guys are killin me! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So here's the desk, clean (not its usual state!) and without the scope and signal generator on it:

Now I don't need that milk crate, so I regain all that space. Now I'll need to figure out the lamp situation again, but thats no biggy. I have an idea for that: LED lighting underneath the shelf.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I have always thought that tidying the shack is a complete waste of time. Things end up in places that you are not used to (read: can't find anymore) and assuming that you have reached the pinnacle of tidiness, you can no longer do anything in there as it immediately starts to head south again.
The only saving grace is that you can sit and admire it for a short time.

I have always thought that tidying the shack is a complete waste of time. Things end up in places that you are not used to (read: can't find anymore) and assuming that you have reached the pinnacle of tidiness, you can no longer do anything in there as it immediately starts to head south again.
The only saving grace is that you can sit and admire it for a short time.
So true, LOL