Spirit: My first finished build

Hi all,

let me introduce myself: I am Matthias from Germany, 40 years old and was dreaming of building my own vehicle since I was a kid.
Since 2 years I was trying to make it reality althoug I had no welding skills and only basic repair skills.
After my first attempt (a tadpole trike inspired by Wolfgang Bion's Mambo) failed miserably (my version was unsteerable if exceeding 15kmh / 10 mph) I was a bit frustrated but found the Corona special here and asked myself what I could build having all the parts still lying around.

And here it is: My slightly modified Spirit!

Modifications are
  • different dropout to fit "standard old-style derailleur",
  • reinforced frame on the bottom (I am rather heavy and my welding skills suck....)
  • Bafang 250W Rear engine & 468WH battery
  • lights (back light is trailer position light, frontlight is LED Europe-certified) connected to main battery via 36-to-12V stepdown controller
Drove almost 100km meanwhile, bike is extremely fun but challenging to ride.
However despite that I am wondering a bit, haven't found any other Spirit in the forum (or did I not search enough?).
Any other drivers?
Looking forward to your feedback!

Wow

Welcome.

Nice build , yes welding a bit crusty however many first time welders/builders do not finish their first project so kudos for that.

More kudos for reaching 100 km , a great goal for a home build.

There is always a snagging list , even after 100km , so keep improving it...

..and whilst riding think of build number 2 ? there is always another to build :giggle:

paul

Well done. My hat off to you sir. Finishing your build.
As stormbird said, many don't finish their projects.

I'm on my third project. Didn't finish #1 . A PVC pedal car.
Didn't finish #2. the Inferno trike build.
Though it may well be resurrected after I (finish) this present build. StreetRunner Quad.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Yeah, there are some things that definitely could be improved. So for potential future spirit builders:
  • from my feeling it could recline 10 degrees more, to me this is too upright. I always kick my belly when riding after dinner ;). Also lower cushion would need to be much harder than other parts of the seat since main load is still on the bottom
  • front wheel is heavily under load. You need to ride slowly and carefully in woods or over curbs, otherwise it hits the rim
  • you need SPD pedals
Last one I fixed, first 2 maybe by adding a higher fork with suspension, let's see....

After one crash (not used to recumbents) and not having SPD pedals I now wrecked my knees and my doc gave me until end of Novmeber to stay at home and think about next designs...
Maybe some delta construction between toxy trimobile and the Timberwolf, but with fairing similar to Brad's velomobile thoughts?.
My brother said he'd seen a 10 year old ebike with dead battery and 20 kilometers usage lying around at his work. Maybe this could be a good source for new experiments next spring if they cheaply want to get rid of it ....

Let's see... :)

It looks like your seat back is to upright this makes it much easier to ride in traffic and makes it easier to start and stop.
However it means you can have to much weight on your bottom and it can go numb.
Sorry to hear about your knee's , although I don't always use SPD's on 2 wheeler's as they shouldn't run over your legs like a tadpole trike could.
Not seen the Toxy Trimobile before , a cargo trike with FWD ?
I build Python trikes , which can be cargo if needed :- Python trikes shout if you have any questions.

Paul

Okay,

managed to get halfway through your thread (will need another 1-2 evenings for the rest) and I am pretty impressed!
Very cool ideas, however I'd not feel able to replicate a good version without any plans or sketches I suppose....
Are there any drafts or measurements (only saw some pictures about angles or similar until now) ?

Somehow that flevo-alike tilting I find pretty fascinating, but can you really go narrow corners while riding?
Guess I am lacking the fantasy and never seen such thing in real life ...

Well like all of Brad's designs my pythons are really built on the fly.

Original Python 2 wheeler here :- Python build 2 wheeler

Not for the faint hearted and a very steep learning curve.

However they make nice docile trikes with a great turning circle and the ability to be ridden hands for for some distance.

Initially I would suggest just building a cargo Python , I doubt if tilting is needed as you need a wide track to enable load hauling ?

All you need to do to design one is know your inside leg measurement , pick a seat height and use a pivot angle between 56' and 65'.

Look here :- Nightrider pythons he has pictures and descriptions of 2 Pythons , Crazy Mule and The Ricxhaw which is a cargo trike

and of course there is Google Cargo Python search

Somehow that flevo-alike tilting I find pretty fascinating, but can you really go narrow corners while riding?
Guess I am lacking the fantasy and never seen such thing in real life ...[\QUOTE]

All trikes can roll over , tilting is not a guarantee of safety.

My Mk1 & Mk2 with 28" to 30" track and 8" seat height could lift a wheel as low as 8mph , however I was executing a very small radius 90' turn at the time as they are very maneuverable despite being on 2 wheels it did not roll over. Even these could run rings around a tadpole trike.

Now I have a 24" track and 18" seat height , and an insane amount of front end turning ability , it rides the same routes with no drama [ yet ! ] , i am just trying to understand the straight line stability [ tilting ] as the trike rolls left and right following the camber/slopes of the surface it is on however the rider for the most part remains vertical.

As only the seat tilts it would be quite easy to add to a existing Python and try it ?

Also you get the bonus of the trike splitting in 2 relatively easily so a new front or rear can be made to try things out ?

Hence me building 7 trikes and still only having 2 Python fronts and 3 trike rears rears

Paul

Maybe some update after a few months....
Alright, so meanwhile knee is somewhat better again, already did 44 kilometer tour on upright pedelec again..

Also tried one ride on Spirit just to experience a crack and wobbly feeling after 200 meters...
Turns that Seat mount broke off, another proof my welding skills are not worth mentioning...

After long thinking (look for professionally-produced recumbent, build something else ...) I decided to at least try to fix again and then also move the seat pole a bit forward and a bit flatter to get a bit of a more lying position.

Also got some cuttable gel pad I can put under the seat's foam

This plus some extra foam as lumbar support will hopefully add up to some more comfortable ride...

Also had purchased 20inch TOM suspension fork (only affordable threaded 1 inch suspension fork I could find), unfortunately threads/head tube are 1 inch too short, don't fit together :(
Now wondering if I send it back or if I keep it. Also found rear suspension & swing arm for 26 inch wheel in my trash collection. So if I keep it theoretically I could build sort of a fully-suspended chopper bike with Spirit's electric drive easily :D

Let's see .... maybe I decide after giving spirit another ride. However currently temperature below zero, ice outside and family will demand attention these days....