Sparky Electric Minibike questions

I'm building the Sparky Electric Minibike (with some modifications) and want to maintain its nice look by making sure that the dimensions are correct. I also want to make sure that I'm building it structurally correct. I have some questions.

1) In the plans, 1.5" EMT (Electric Metallic Tube) is specified for the top (spine) tube and forks. Is the 1.5" shown referring to actual O.D, or the electrical industry definition, which is an O.D. of 1.74"?

2) Same as question 3, but for the stated 1" EMT down tubes and bottom tubes.

3) What are the rough dimensions of the seat?

4) Is the battery box secured with bolts only at two points on the right side of the frame, or are those mount points mirrored on the left side?

5) When welding the pipe what are you using for welding current (amps) and welding rods (1/16" 6013, 5/64 7018)?

6) Are the drive belts and v-pulleys 0.5"?

Many thanks!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Greets, and thanks for your support!

1&2) It is the industry definition, which is about 1.75" OD. Anything close is good enough.

3) I cut the seat from a 8" by 8" piece of leftover plywood. I chose that size because it was was what I had. 2 inch thick foam.

4) Yes, there are 4 tabs and bolts holding in the battery box. Place them wherever suits your build.

5) I use about 65 amps for that tube and only use 3/32 6013 rod on the AC setting. I do this as it is the most basic way possible to weld and want to prove that anyone can do this with absolutely minimal tools. A typical MIG would be much easier for sure.

6) I used 3/4" belt, but 1/2" would also be fine if your motor is under 2hp.

Hope to see some build photos!
Cheers,
Brad

Greets, and thanks for your support!

1&2) It is the industry definition, which is about 1.75" OD. Anything close is good enough.

3) I cut the seat from a 8" by 8" piece of leftover plywood. I chose that size because it was was what I had. 2 inch thick foam.

4) Yes, there are 4 tabs and bolts holding in the battery box. Place them wherever suits your build.

5) I use about 65 amps for that tube and only use 3/32 6013 rod on the AC setting. I do this as it is the most basic way possible to weld and want to prove that anyone can do this with absolutely minimal tools. A typical MIG would be much easier for sure.

6) I used 3/4" belt, but 1/2" would also be fine if your motor is under 2hp.

Hope to see some build photos!
Cheers,
Brad
Many Thanks,
Jay