So a funny thing happened on the way to the welding bench ...?

Hi all

I was welding the rear of the Python trike after chopping the rear end down and instead of using a offcut of work top on the workmate as a bench I needed the holes in the workmate to allow me to clamp the frame , so it was clamped to the painted metal frame of the workmate.

I set about and welded it no trouble , hanging the torch on the weld cart I suddenly though I never fastened the earth clamp to the frame.

Looking down I could see the earth clamping just sitting on the lower painted step of the workmate ? so what happened there I was able to weld it perfectly well with it earthing through 2 layers of paint ?

This leads to a secondary question ?

I would like a welding bench with some steel plate on it so I can weld small pieces that the clamp is hard to fix to ?
I have quite a large piece of 1/16" plate if I cleaned the rust off it and screwed it to another work top offcut with a place to get the earth clamp on how do I stop it then rusting up again?

Curious of the title ? it is a parody possibly only recognised by UK residents of a certain age ?

Hi all

I was welding the rear of the Python trike after chopping the rear end down and instead of using a offcut of work top on the workmate as a bench I needed the holes in the workmate to allow me to clamp the frame , so it was clamped to the painted metal frame of the workmate.

I set about and welded it no trouble , hanging the torch on the weld cart I suddenly though I never fastened the earth clamp to the frame.

Looking down I could see the earth clamping just sitting on the lower painted step of the workmate ? so what happened there I was able to weld it perfectly well with it earthing through 2 layers of paint ?

This leads to a secondary question ?

I would like a welding bench with some steel plate on it so I can weld small pieces that the clamp is hard to fix to ?
I have quite a large piece of 1/16" plate if I cleaned the rust off it and screwed it to another work top offcut with a place to get the earth clamp on how do I stop it then rusting up again?

Curious of the title ? it is a parody possibly only recognised by UK residents of a certain age ?
I have three such surfaces to weld on, using the same thickness....1/16".
Two are made from old BBQ carts, and one smaller sheet, placed on top of my work bench.
I haven't really had to clamp the ground strap, directly to them 'yet', but could if I wanted/needed.

Both carts are roll around.
One larger cart, that stays outside, got painted. I use that cart mainly for using the magnets to hold things, and for outside work.
The second smaller cart, remains mostly inside, and it is bare metal. When it starts to get that light surface rust, after a considerable time,
I just run a sander over it, usually with 120 grit or finer, (hand sanding may be enough) then spray a light coat of WD40 on it, and wipe off the excess.
With our type of weather, I've only had to clean it off a couple of times.

Applying WD40 may or may not, interfere with good grounding on the parts you are wanting to weld.
You need good connection between the table and your parts to be welded, so just sanding off the surface rust/dirt etc.
may be the better option, If you were to do something similar, you might want to weld on a ground stub,
in a place that won't interfere with any welding process.

Another thought occurred to me while typing this post. Making a clamp that would attach to the welders clamp, (or table stub) and a smaller clamp on the other end, that would attach to the parts needing to be welded.

Maybe using mini locking pliers similar to these...https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-locking-pliers-set-3-pc-63840.html
I have this set and they are working just fine...as pliers.
Same size wire, but with a smaller clamp, that could be used on small parts. ...hmmmmm something to think about. 🤔

Last edited:
If the plate is affixed to the worktop piece you "could" weld a tab that points groundwards at one edge and clamp to that?
WD40 is fine I think, I have liberally sprayed it all over my worktop after a good cleanup session and it has not affected my earth bonding at all.

Dan & Ed

Spooky actually using WD40 for what it was made for and not as a lubricant !

Seems like a good idea ...

regards Paul