SNOW .. A Normality - An Occasion

❄ SNOW ❄

A Normality - An Occasion

A Normality

A born Vermonter, I grew up in deep snow and frigid temperatures.
As a farm boy, all of 8 years old, I would dig out caves, in snow banks that were at least two-three times my height.
Probably wasn't too smart. Spent time making and throwing lots of snowballs. Sliding down hills on just about any material I could get to slide. Enjoyed the serenity of just watching the snow falling, while it magically transformed the landscape into a crisp and clean, white wonderland.
However, as we all know, life itself, brings changes. Off to 'sunny' California we went, to start a new life, Our new home, was now without the harsh, yet wondrous elements of winter. No snowballs, no slipping and sliding, no worry of freezing ones toes.

An Occasion

Winter for us, now comes, for the most part, as a time of dry freezing cold, occasional rain, and frequent windy days. Each year about this time, we wonder if we will be graced with a white winter. Especially around the Christmas holiday's. We've had in past years, (2010) had enough snow to bring our local roads and freeways to a halt. That being a rarity.
This year, like it was right on schedule, for our Thanksgiving day celebration, we had just a dusting, yet enough to give us pause, to watch the snow flakes, turn our yard white, and hope it would last, more than the mere few hours, that is typical for where we live.

We appreciate the harshness of winter, for those, that live where the snow is as deep as ones house, or so cold you could freeze you fingers solid in seconds. But for us, the wonder of a white Christmas, let alone a white winter, is, 'in our lives', . . An Occasion.

Be Warm, Be Safe, in Your, …Winter Wonderland

Here in the UK we live in a generally regulated environment with neither harsh winters nor baking summers. The Gulf stream and Atlantic conveyor do a sterling job of removing the extremes from us. Getting a foot or more of snow has happened twice in my 54 years though I do remember getting a dusting of it on June 1st one year and wondering WTF was happening. It disappeared within two hours as though it had never happened. I do miss the delight in my own eyes on seeing snow and feel sorry for those kids who never experience it.

Here in the UK we live in a generally regulated environment with neither harsh winters nor baking summers. The Gulf stream and Atlantic conveyor do a sterling job of removing the extremes from us. Getting a foot or more of snow has happened twice in my 54 years though I do remember getting a dusting of it on June 1st one year and wondering WTF was happening. It disappeared within two hours as though it had never happened. I do miss the delight in my own eyes on seeing snow and feel sorry for those kids who never experience it.
Yes, I remember the winters from 68-76 very well. Some in particular, were severe in the Wethersfield, and Sculthorpe area's. Having to plow my way out (with a new Triumph Spitfire), of the road that led down to Hulls Mill, where we lived, in Sible Hedingham. (our first home as newly weds)

One time the water actually got up to that 6 ' mark, and nearly inside my car.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
No snow here, although there is occasionally a brief dusting within 2 hours drive and much more within 3 hours.

Bushfires can get very close. Closest so far was no more than 20 minutes in recent times. Many closer grass fires. Temperatures 35C plus and even up to 45C in summer are common. Down to -5C in winter.

Floods are common in winter with Campaspe River 1.5km away. Were more common up to 60 years ago but local reservoir now restricts such things. Highway has been closed once here at river bridge in last 25 years. Does get to about 20 feet deep on the river flats in flood. Used to be much higher. Normally about 3 feet of water in river bed in summer, maybe twice that in winter, normally. Was once common. Fortunately, if my feet were to get wet with floodwaters, there would be a lot of people swimming.

All that is at the moment. It is changing and not as constant as it once was.

When I lived in California "Tahoe" was the California based and favoured Ski destination. Looked like a miniature Norway with Fjiord like terrain and super slopes.
Added to its attractions was the fact that if you drove round to the other side of the lake you were in Nevada where there were "other" attractions to be enjoyed. ;)
Wonderful 2 years I had in Cali. My youngest son is a natural born Californian American.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Posted this on my FB yesterday. Just a light dusting of 6 inches to add to the foot and a half already on the ground.
Kind of that pre-winter hello...

A nice shot Brad. The bike looks (too me) a bit 3D.

For our snow....well it's all gone. Nice while it was here.
Had 27 degree night, so everything was pretty slick this morning.
More snow and below zero nights on the way, so the weatherman say's.

Found some old photo's of what it can be like here, in the high desert.

I'm on my way to work....I'm taking greenhorn trucking students out for some driver training.
What ever was I thinking. But they had to learn.

Here you are looking at the tail end of the southbound freeway traffic. Luckily it was just before my exit to work.
No cars coming northbound, no cars behind me.

All went well, everyone did as I said, and there was no mishaps.
The students were rather quiet on this day. All eyes and attention, were glued to the front windshield.
White knuckles on the steering wheel, kept the road ahead well illuminated.

Last edited: