Seeking advice on an Electric trike project

I am very much into home made bikes especially from Brad's excellent plans. And powering them with e assist as well. I currently am running a Bafang BBSHD on my fatbike, and a BBS02 on a homemade 2 wheel recumbent. Both mid drive motors. And now this spring for the first time a small 500 watt geared front hub motor on the delta trike. I have no idea how it will actually work and feel. Honestly I can't give you an opinion on what you plan, my suggestion is lot's of research keeping in mind their is lots of info out, some of it is misleading or someone's opinion.
I don't know where you live but take a look at Golden Motor.ca. They sell both front hub and the differential units. I do have a 1000 watt rear direct drive hub motor from them, called the Magic Pie, it certainly did not inspire me with it's reliability but it was pretty fun when it did work. Maybe it would be wise to find out what the tuk tuk type units use and go from there.
Thank you Hugh, I had not heard of Brad's plans, but a little sleuthing I found his book and ordered a copy. I live in Michigan. This had been a steep learning curve but it has been fun.

Thank you Hugh, I had not heard of Brad's plans, but a little sleuthing I found his book and ordered a copy. I live in Michigan. This had been a steep learning curve but it has been fun.
Rather odd as there is a DIY Plans link on the banner at the top of the page and many more plans than appear in his book even if you have both of them !

Paul

Last edited:
Rather odd as there is a DIY Plans link on the banner at the top of the page and many more plans than appear in his book even if you have both of them !

Paul
thanks Paul I certainly saw plans on the banner but didn't make the connection to Brad. Keep in mind I am a total newbie as this is my first try at at this It is also a bit weird since most of what I am seeing has pedals and my project does not.

Last edited:
You might want to check your local laws regarding riding around on a strictly electric project. Where I live in Manitoba something like what you seem interested in would be like riding around on a golf cart, only legal on private property. I realize different laws apply in other areas.

You might want to check your local laws regarding riding around on a strictly electric project. Where I live in Manitoba something like what you seem interested in would be like riding around on a golf cart, only legal on private property. I realize different laws apply in other areas.
Good Point. Thanks

Keep in mind I am a total newbie as this is my first try at at this
We will help where we can , however your project is unlike anything Brad designed and so we have little experience/advice to offer.
You really need to find a DIY electric vehicle forum where there maybe someone who has used the kit you plan on buying.

It is also a bit weird since most of what I am seeing has pedals and my project does not.
Not really that's what Brads designs are about ! Any[most] electric is as ' assist ' not sole form of power.

Paul