Reciprocal drive

Am interested in a reciprocal drive as a more efficient means of propulsion. Stringbike has an interesting propulsion that also uses a 'string' as opposed to pedaling. Also want a 'stairmaster' type of pumping as it is smoother than pedaling. Have an idea of how it can work but need an engineer with further help. Any One Out There interested??

AFAIK, there isn't anything more efficient than the standard bicycle pedal/crank/sprocket setup although toothed-belt etc. are just as good.
Other drive inputs are just alternatives. I think this debate has been around a few times. Rowing-bikes etc. "Leg-Press" etc. have all been done and can be made to work, but I am not sure they will be more efficient.
How many "alternative" drive styles have set speed records at battle mountain? Its a very short list I think.
Good Luck in your research and developments. I wish you well.

Has anybody done any comparison on pedalling a generator to charge a battery to use for electric propulsion? It would enable one to pedal at any time, stationary, going downhill, etc., and use the motor for anything else.

Efficiency would depend on the efficiency of the generator and the motor but is the conversion too wasteful?

Is the power available from a car alternator not worth worrying about? I have often thought it would provide a neat way to provide controlled regenerative braking by varying the rotor field current.

Graeme Obree, a former Scottish world champion, used a linear drive for his speed attempt on battle mountain , ( There is a film about it ) .

The late Sandman was looking into it on a velo project that was unfortunately never completed .

Regards Emma

Am interested in a reciprocal drive as a more efficient means of propulsion. Stringbike has an interesting propulsion that also uses a 'string' as opposed to pedaling. Also want a 'stairmaster' type of pumping as it is smoother than pedaling. Have an idea of how it can work but need an engineer with further help. Any One Out There interested??

Robo,
I made my own linear pedal system, that allows both legs to operate independently of each other, and each push of my front legs is a complete revolution of the front gears, and i can either leg press, flex toes and anything in between.

Feel free to see it in Down Under Fast Recumbent Quadcycle F-RQ on the old archived forum, and ask any questions you might have.

PeterT

Back