Quad build.

Sorry to hear you have been unwell Emiel. Had the same thing a few weeks back. Leaves you pretty weak & wrung out.
I hope you feel a lot better soon. :)

Sorry to hear you have been unwell Emiel. Had the same thing a few weeks back. Leaves you pretty weak & wrung out.
I hope you feel a lot better soon. :)
Thanks, I am OK again.

Worked yesterday on the quad frame design.
There will be 2 different versions. Mine will be a bit longer and undersea stearing instead of tank stearing, but from the rest is the frame the same.

Next week I finish the design.

I also looked ad what batteries I want. It will get 2 3kwh 48v batteries. I start with one, but later I ad a second one.
The controler will be a 1000w/1500w. This way I can use my 36v batteries also.

the base frame is or most tubing ready, I only need some info about some parts we have and then i can finish it. I will get those parts tomorrow.

The wheel base of the green frame that will be the base what i will also use to build mine, is 1100mm. Short wheel base for a 26 inch wheel frame.
With will be 1m. that is from the outside of the wheels measured.

Here some renders of the frame as it will be.

This is with the bed 30mm lower and the final version. I didn't know the demensions of the motor, but now i do, do that is schanged a bit. THe width of the plate will also be narrower, because i used the diff for dimensions, but i can narrow that a bit. so the with will also be a bit narrower,

Now soem renders i made from what i want to build.
THe gray base frame isn't right and the rear wheel will be in the middle of the box.
But i was playing with some shapes to gett the big looking box shape away and have something that looks smaller and different.

the opening in the front gets a plate that folds open. on that comes a kind of tent that makes that this 1,4m long box, will become 2.2m long and makes that i can lay in it.
In the rear and the middle i will make something that goes down and makes that the quad stands stable as i am in it.
No solar panals, but probably a roof over me.
Rear view camera so i can see behind the box and mirrors afcourse.
Seat need sto be removed to fold open the front.
The seat will also be mounted agains the box
That keeps it also closed.
Roof window that can be opened, heater, fans and 220v connection so i can charge my laptop and charge my batteries. I start with a 1000/1500w controller, but as my 3kw batteries are ready, i switch to a 2000 or 2500kw controller.

the goal is 2 3kwh batteries.
they caome just behind and under my seat.
hook so i can pull a trailer.

WOW and WOW a big leap from a tadpole towing a caravan , hope it gets built.

Paul

WOW and WOW a big leap from a tadpole towing a caravan , hope it gets built.

Paul
It will be. Parts are ordered and i want the quad frame be ready before may 23. I don't think that i have the caravan part on top ready by then, but as it isn't i hope to finish that in the comming summer.

With a 2.5KW controller you won't need to worry too much about the weight.
It also gets an other gear ratio, what increases the torqe. I don't need the top speed and i think with that even with 1000w on 36v, it will be strong enough to get up the hills, even with my luggage in it.

Open and closed.
I need to design the mounting, but it looks a bit like this.
I wanted it first from fabric, but that makes it mire complicated and I think that this looks better. Also can I ad windows in it, if I want.

It seems unecessarily tall. When sat in it there's loads of unused headroom yet it's too short to stand up under the main side door. It looks like it could do the same job a foot lower and would save weight and wind loading. The fold down tent section would appear to just as easily be on the back and save the folding of the seat though it's easier to brace the tent section to the chasis than the ground.

I think the GoLo's problem is it was made to attach to an existing cargo trike instead of the 2 being designed together.

Emiel has a chance to change that as he is designing for camping in mind ?
I think also the whole lot is to tall outside [ drag ] as it does not sit very low on the chassis Emiels will also be somewhat like that if it is designed to sit on the platform his 3D renderings show.
It would better if the 6 struts shown holding the platform off the base [ lowest ] chassis were actually part of the platform and so when in camping mode the platform is removed and the sleeping area could seat on the lower chassis that would give leg room for sitting with a greatly reduced outside height without compromising the inside ?

Paul

Well it depends on the usage of the caravan. For me is that design not good, but for others it can be.
It is designed for comfort ad a camp side and stay there for a few days.
Mine is designed for range, on and off-road and for riding comfort.

The advantage of that version is, is that with that you still have a vehicle to travel around with, without having to take your camp part with you all the time.
That is why i was thinking to build a e-scooter, but they are illegal in the Netherlands and in Germany you need insurance, so self build is no option.
That is why i probably build a tiny 20inch e-bike that i can hang on the back of my quad.

My camper part can be removed, but i bold it on. I only remove it ad home to have a cargo quad and off-road quad.

I looked ad a seat and other stuff, but i noticed that i am never in my caravan, other than sleeping.
So it doesn't need more than a sleeping compartment. I ad a comfortable matras, a heater, usb connections and light. Just as my caravan now has, some fans so it blows ear in, that helps against condense and with high temperatures, it cools a bit.
The shape is done like that so it doesn't look that big and I like it as it looks different.

I finished yesterday the front arms and suspension mount in the front. I now need to make the front wheel mount and finish the steering. I have the basics and i only need top work that out.
The base frame is for the rest ready. I only need to work out the drawings and some small things on the rear wheel mounting and the motor mount.
I hope to finish all the drawings by the end of this week.
Then we can start getting steel and send drawings out for laser cutting.

As we start building, i think that we have the base frame very soon ready. The parts on it take way more time, but i hope not to much.

This is the base frame.
It has a wheel base from 1,1m and with of 1m,
The rear can be shorthand till behind the motor.
I will ad 40cm behind the seat, ad some extra length in the rear and mount my seat to the caravan part with the back. But other than that, it is completely the same.

Drawings with tube sizes and build foto's will come in a pdf that will be shared with who is interested.
There are several people that want it and this way they can build one them selves.

Disk brakes will be the 203 on all wheels.

203mm rotors do have a tendancy to knock the pads back a bit as they spin, more so than smaller ones. This is simply a result of the size. This means they either drag or the lever has to have a little extra slack in it. I have a 203 on the front of a Whyte PRST and being honest the smaller rotor had the nicer feel. You have the benefit of that extra brake on a quad compared to a trike so smaller 180mm rotors may well suffice. I think 203mm are really only needed on downhill MTB where they drag the rear a lot for stability and generate enough heat to need the extra cooling the bigger rotor provides.

I know bigger always sounds better which is why I went 203mm on the Whyte. Having done it I'm now sure I erred as there's no obvious extra stopping power and feel is worse.

Is the two level rear chassis mainly so designed to allow room for the motor? Couldn't you put the motor under the seat and keep the rear single level at the lower part? This would give you either less overall height or more storeage and wouldn't preclude you from having an extra bolt on raiser if you ever need a flat bed for cargo overhanging the rear wheels.

I only use the front brakes. Rear will be for parking. We went for 203, because of the weight. My quad will be heavy and the 180 would be good enough for it. But the goal is, to pull also a trailer with a small boat on it. Than is the 180, what now the 160 was on my trike. Must say, a trike works better than a normal bike with breaking going down hill.

The motor is there because I wanted a bit more weight to the rear and the space before the diff for the batteries.

For storage is it not a problem for me, but as someone wants to build the quad, they can easily move the motor to the front of the diff and get more storage space.

But now you say it and looking ad it. It is maybe an option to do so.
The batteries will fit and my version is longer, so more space for batteries..can always hang one behind the diff.

Last edited:
I am going to look to move the motor to the front of te diff. Must see how it fits with the chain first, but I think that I can solve that, if it is a problem.
Motor moves a bit to the right, because of where the gear will be on the diff.

Looked ad it and i can move the motor forward on the long version. the short version is possible but or i move the seat forward or up, or make the wheel base a bit longer.