Project X , emma's folding e-trike

Twinkle

Super Moderator
This is a continuation from the old site with the same name

Project X has sat dormant since July when it was just re-starting its shake down rides after a little opportunity with the hinge latch over Christmas 2017 , The hinge was modified but then the roof on Mums house ( conservatory was replaced and the trike was trapped inside the dining room .
This came out of the room and blinked in the sunshine in June and after a few rides and mums sad departure , it returned to the dining room until the house clearance started in earnest .
With about 30 miles on it since its arrival at Peacehaven and replacing the rear brake outer cable as it decided to rub on the ground I am going to replace the original seat I fitted with one similar to the ones we fitted to the 20/20 e-trikes
Photos etc to follow as the project unfolds again .

regards emma

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Looking forward to following your continued adventures here and in the gallery.

I remember "trapping" something I made in the house once, but it wasn't planned!
Built this massive guitar amplifier when I was 14, but it wouldn't fit up the stairwell.
Seems I forgot to account for the 3/4" plywood thickness in the design.
It took days to cut the extra inch out of the 6 foot x 4 foot beast!

Brad

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Hi Folks

With the success of the one piece ( warrior style ) seat back on the other two trikes we decided to upgrade this one , seat blank cut and ready to cover once the m5 tee nuts ( battery / bottle mounts ) arrive

regards emma

I just love to see your handy work, Emma.
I really should build something that I can actually ride.
I know I would be better for it.

Morning Emma good to see you're on the building project again. I know from experience that house clearance of a loved one can be difficult.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Todays efforts saw the replacement seat back and the recovered vinyl base refitted to the trike .
The test ride around the block proved that it is more comfortable than the original .

Morning Emma.= As always the finished is of quality. I see from the pics. they were taken in your drive. All the best this summer.

May I see how this folds? Maybe you posted photos of the folding mechanism earlier -- thanks for patience as I learn to navigate the site.

I'm hoping to build a trike with rear suspension as in the Street Fox and disc brakes as in the Warrior.
I'd like, like you, to add an electric drive near the bottom bracket, and I'd like to make it fold! Seems like potentially I could fold at the existing "hinge" of the rear suspension (it would keep the chain in-plane), though I'm not sure that's enough of a fold to get the bike into my trunk or any particular meaningful space.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
The fold is a lift and twist moment with the rear wheel sitting flat between the front wheel after the seat is removed. Unfortunately the main photos were stored on this site prior to the last site upgrade . Some of the photos are still on the cyclechat forum l believe.

I have the "other 2" of these frames and mine fold "the other way" (get you, Sailor ;)).
No issues with the hinges (identical pattern) on either of these 2 trikes.
The late John Price (Sandman) who made all 3 frames told me that he suspected the issues Emma was having with her hinge were due to a lack of triangulation.
I am not sure that that is truly the case, but my 2 trikes are having no issues as I say, and I am heavier than Emma, so the issue she has had is a bit odd.
Here is a picture of the after end of LOKI to show what I mean about the additional/extended triangulation that exists on my two trike frames.
Hope this helps, although it is unlikely that you would want to unstitch/re-stitch your frame Emma.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Looks like a steel version of the Azub pivot.
Similar but this was produce by the late John Price
I have the "other 2" of these frames and mine fold "the other way" (get you, Sailor ;)).
No issues with the hinges (identical pattern) on either of these 2 trikes.
The late John Price (Sandman) who made all 3 frames told me that he suspected the issues Emma was having with her hinge were due to a lack of triangulation.
I am not sure that that is truly the case, but my 2 trikes are having no issues as I say, and I am heavier than Emma, so the issue she has had is a bit odd.
Here is a picture of the after end of LOKI to show what I mean about the additional/extended triangulation that exists on my two trike frames.
Hope this helps, although it is unlikely that you would want to unstitch/re-stitch your frame Emma.

I have modified the rear end since the problem and there is now an adjustable/ detachable tie rod between the seat back and rear triangle.
Awaiting finer English weather and duckford to release us from imprisonment up here . Also had a couple of problems with the e-controller to sort .
All in good time we currently using an ICE VORTEX and a SPRINT with tongsheng tsdz2 around the mountain here.

Regards Emma

Last edited:
Man I miss seeing these! Been riding my Spincycle a lot recently, while my son is skateboarding, makes me want to fiddle more changing my streetfox, but in reality just need to ride it more. Have all my stickers courtesy of Emma!

Danny
I see in the picture in post 16 above you have a skewer/ bolt attaching the back of the seat to the frame.
I have been looking for something similar but cant find any of the size, about 45-50mm, I need. Skewers for wheels are readily available but too long. Did you buy yours as is or modify something ?
Regards
Stewart

Danny
I see in the picture in post 16 above you have a skewer/ bolt attaching the back of the seat to the frame.
I have been looking for something similar but cant find any of the size, about 45-50mm, I need. Skewers for wheels are readily available but too long. Did you buy yours as is or modify something ?
Regards
Stewart
Stewart, I got all of mine from e-bay.
If you cannot find any long enough (M8 @55mm seems to be about the biggest) then some of the M6 styles can be operated upon to remove the skewer and replace it with one of your own made from M8 threaded Stainless rod turned down and threaded M6 for the section that goes into the cam element. This gets glued into place with a loctite glue.