Oh No, what have I done?

Ok, I know I am going to be in trouble for this. But I couldn’t help it, honest.

Have you heard the expression "more money than sense"?

Santa delivered this down my chimney.

I have no real idea what it is, or how to use it right now.

I believe it consumes five-pound notes faster than I can earn them.

I am reliably informed by my Northern sources that this is a VERY BAD MOVE indeed. :eek:

But what is done is done and I shall have to make the best of things I suppose. :rolleyes:

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
But what is done is done and I shall have to make the best of things I suppose. :rolleyes:
My oh my! What an unfortunate situation you find yourself in - and on top of everything else that 2020 has thrown at you..
I'm sure you can call on some of the contributors on here if you need help in getting through it all. All the best with it and I hope you make it.

Hmmmm........

That's the last I will see of you then 😰😥😢

Hmmmm........

That's the last I will see of you then 😰😥😢
Not a chance. You are stuck with me mate. It is just another "interesting avenue" in making stuff.
It might have a short term "grab" on my time until I learn just enough to be dangerous is all.
I'm not leaving the bike/trike world behind and I certainly do NOT want to be making any miniature steam locomotives. ;)

Not a chance. You are stuck with me mate. It is just another "interesting avenue" in making stuff.
It might have a short term "grab" on my time until I learn just enough to be dangerous is all.
I'm not leaving the bike/trike world behind and I certainly do NOT want to be making any miniature steam locomotives. ;)
Your only saying that because you have not watched 50 videos yet on what you can do with it ;)

Welcome to the ridiculous curve that is lathe mastery. Or if not actual mastery then at least learning not to leave the chuck key in when you turn it on.

How's your Chinglish coming on ?

OK, time for an update of sorts.
My-oh-my the saying is so true that "A fool and his money are easily parted", the e-Bay ad was a bright and shiny lure and I was the gullible fish.

Let's just say that the Lathe has been well, err, "problematical".
Rumbling "hot" bearing's, belts that stripped their teeth and all the "normal" mini-lathe faults to boot.
However, we had some legally phrased stern words with the vendor and an accommodation was reached.
The lathe has now been "fettled" insofar as a proper drive-train system has been implemented and some "cosmetic issues" have been attended to.
Bottom line right now is that it turns metal and the thing cuts nicely.

I would have to be honest and say that this was a purchase made entirely on a "whim" and very possibly/maybe "under the affluence of incahol" and I swear by God and sonny Jesus am not even remotely thinking of building model steam engines or the like (never, ever, ever) and I really just wanted another new toy.

But it is good to find that it actually works pretty well (on phosphor-bronze at least) and produces a good finish. So now when I want to make that "odd" part that requires some turning, I will be able to do it.
And that is what I wanted. :D

Last edited:
Dan

Perseverance paid off....

Well done

To the jaundiced eye that looks like turning to me.

Parts order in the post :)

Paul

Dan

Perseverance paid off....

Well done

To the jaundiced eye that looks like turning to me.

Parts order in the post :)

Paul
Perfect Python Pivots are our #1 seller ;-)

I am pleased to have resolved quite a few of the standard-issue "areas for improvement" with the lathe.
I have had a dabble at turning various bits of round bar metal (Phosphor-Bronze, Aluminium, and Steel).
As hoped for (and indeed expected), even this cheapo-contraption does a fairly nice job with no hesitation or issues. :D
All pieces were hand-turned in multiple passes. The maximum depth of cut I have tried so far is 20 Thou and that isn't bad for a 4/5HP (600W) motor.
No "Chatter" at these rates and nice finishes (even with a non-rounded cutter).

Now I need to find things to make for my bikes. I am sure something will turn up.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Nice lathe Danny , looks very similar to our welsh lathe , check if the hi/lo transfer has metal gears or nylon , the nylon gears last about a year , we have a set of metal ones to fit when the workshop gets warmer .

Nice lathe Danny , looks very similar to our welsh lathe , check if the hi/lo transfer has metal gears or nylon , the nylon gears last about a year , we have a set of metal ones to fit when the workshop gets warmer .
No Hi-Lo box Emma, just Fwd & Reverse on the Motor drive switch.
It has all metal gears throughout, 0 .. 2,500 RPM on the dial and I have checked the speeds with a LASER tacho and it does what it says on the label more or less (0 to 2760 in fact).
I suspect it has no guts for really deep cuts as it doesn't have a LOW gear and high torque, but the motor is 17 teeth on the pulley and the spindle is 30 so there is a gearing of sorts in its basic operation and the motor is 600W (4/5 HP) which is pretty good.