New warrior seat

The seat was the part of the build I hated most, so I'm finally trying to make a new one. I'm steam bending 1/8th in thick wood and gluing layers together like a skateboard, then I'll glue foam on top. The original seat wasn't uncomfortable, but mine Just didn't come out like I wanted, I'm hoping the curves and making it a little wider will make it more comfortable and look nicer.

I built a cheap steam box out of particle board and used water seal inside. it has two layers of pins so I can steam two sheets at a time. The steam is from a home steamer for clothes I think, but it worked great for well over an hour. I put harbor freight moving blankets over it to keep it warmer. This was about as cheap as I could make it.

This is the wood form, its a few 2x6 and a lot of drywall screws, the paint is just for quick registration.

After an hour of steaming two pieces were clamped together successfully. I wasn't sure the direction to run the grain, so this was a test with each board being different and neither cracked. so I'm going to cross grain the next two as well and hopefully end up with a half inch thick cross grained seat....

been there and got the tee shirt , washed it to death and use it for dusters .....

I digress.

I put mine in a kids paddling pool and some hot water and sun for a few hours one afternoon.
Worked well , however that flat shape gives no lateral support , somethink I find useful on the trike ;)
You would get away with half the thickness of plywood really , two pieces about 3mm to 4mm is fine even with just 2 supports underneath it.
If concerned about it's strength make up 2 strips for the back about 1.25" wide and say 3 pieces each , you can use the same mould then add them to the back of the seat

Paul

Good to know, right now my plan is 4 layers, it'll be just under a half inch or 10mm, which is what my current seat has now. The strength was my concern, but I built my frame with 1.5" supports under the seat and back instead of just the recommended flat bar so hopefully it and the frame along the whole center will be enough to support it. The lumbar support I may add in foam padding later, but my current seat doesn't have it and it has never bothered me.

The lumbar support I may add in foam padding later, but my current seat doesn't have it and it has never bothered me.
Not lumbar but lateral ?
I found my trike did not lean at all whilst corning however I did and was conscious I could just roll off the seat if I over cooked it.
I ride plastic moulded one's now and they have support for the sides of my body @ the lumbar region but not under my back.
Easily added to a wooden one with 3 or so layers of camping mat foam , trimmed to suit .

Paul

I've used seats with and without lateral support on taddies. I find it better with but ok without. In all cases I've had conveniently located bars to brace against and I think that is the important factor in deciding if it's needed.

My current seat is what's in the manual and I haven't had an issue with it so i don't think I'll be bothered with this one if it works out, but I'll keep it in mind

Wahoo, it worked. First test fit, all the bolts lined up, the angles weren't perfect, it required a little flexing to get it into place but it didnt break or crack at all.

Interesting enough, this was four layers of 1/8" plywood, but it didn't equal a half inch thick, which was the thickness of wood I used for the previous seat, 1/2" thick plywood, which also didn't measure at a half inch thick....

Final with foam glued into place. The foam is the anti fatigue mats they sell for flooring in a gym. I didn't want to risk shaping it with an angle grinder, after issues I had last time, so i used a ryobi hand held sander that uses half in sanding belts, it made it so much easier and cleaner. Its two layers of half in foam glued together. The green gaps are to allow for air flow, not sure how that will work.

Very Nice. :)

Final with foam glued into place. The foam is the anti fatigue mats they sell for flooring in a gym. I didn't want to risk shaping it with an angle grinder, after issues I had last time, so i used a ryobi hand held sander that uses half in sanding belts, it made it so much easier and cleaner. Its two layers of half in foam glued together. The green gaps are to allow for air flow, not sure how that will work.
Looks nice! Sort of a Star Wars design...