new guy intro

My name's Cory, I'm from Colorado.

Goal is to build three trikes - two Street Fox more or less to the plans (for me and my son) and a two-hand-and-one-foot powered for my (right leg amputee) wife. I've picked up a few free donor bikes, plus the first rear suspension donor. Also got the first stick of square tube. Starting in on the destruction of the donor bike tonight.

I don't have a current image sharing account to post pics, anybody know a couple free ones to pick from ?

I've been using postimage. org. I don,t bother the make an account just use it to browse through pictures downloaded onto my computer then click copy on thumbnail for forum. it's worked so far for me.

already ran into an issue - I pulled two bikes in to pick which one to cut up for its bottom bracket. Both are the 20 tooth (special tool required) Shimano / Isis type

If I were to get one or both of these disassembled (purchase proper tool) will other 3 piece bottom bracket internals swap in, or is the tube welded to the frame proprietary for this type of hardware ?

should I just be on the lookout for a different donor ?

I got donor bikes but i got the same problem. Also a few parts weren't good any more.
So I ordered some parts and went to someone that makes bikes for people that don't have a lot of money to buy a bike. He has a lot of used parts that are still good and all the tools to get it off the bikes.

I changed the steering, so I don't need donor parts.

I am going to go out on a limb here with advice. The shimano / isis refers to the type of cartridge bearing that goes into the bottom bracket.These cartridges have largely replaced the older style of cone and bearings similar to what you might find on an old 10 speed. Once you remove the cartridge and then cut the bottom bracket out of the frame why can't you use the pedal assembly that came with the donor bikes? However if the bottom bracket has threads cut into it and its diameter is roughly 1.375 " other cartridges should fit.

Mine was pressed and I didn't get them out.
So I got from an other bike one with threads, but now I get one backed that they also use for velomobiles.
I am a bit limited with the tools I have.

If it is a 3-piece or cartridge bearing in a steel B-B shell then the threads are all the same irrespective of the BB end cap tightening loosening method.
Usually 68mm wide and the threads are 24TPI with one RH thread and one LH thread. Go here for details: Bottom-Brackets.

Hugh - you're right - as long as I have all the parts that go with the tube cut from the frame, I'm good to go, regardless of age or type.

Danny C - the bikes I ask about above have the cartridge type (center picture) with the 20 tooth tool shown in the picture required to remove them. The rear suspension donor has the "conventional" type with lock ring. I have four other bikes in the garage that have the conventional type, but they're not donor bikes. The cartridge type seems like an oddity

so really my question was - if I use the cartridge type bottom bracket tube cut from the frame, can I use conventional type bottom bracket parts in it ?

Hugh - you're right - as long as I have all the parts that go with the tube cut from the frame, I'm good to go, regardless of age or type.

Danny C - the bikes I ask about above have the cartridge type (center picture) with the 20 tooth tool shown in the picture required to remove them. The rear suspension donor has the "conventional" type with lock ring. I have four other bikes in the garage that have the conventional type, but they're not donor bikes. The cartridge type seems like an oddity

so really my question was - if I use the cartridge type bottom bracket tube cut from the frame, can I use conventional type bottom bracket parts in it ?
YES!