New builder self introduction

Froggie

I apologize if this is not the right topic. The forum rules post suggested an introductory post in Builder's Connection, which I could not find. Note to Mods: I will not be offended if this post is moved or removed.

Anyway, I have reasons relating to my personal health in choosing my first build project, and I plan for it to be the Warrior Tadpole. A tadpole is a baby frog, and although I will be a first time builder, I am far from being a baby at age 75. So I guess an old tadpole would be frog, hence my screen name of "Froggie".

I live in the mountains of northern California, and I am nearing completion on DIY building of my own house, so I am unsure how rapid my bike building career will get off the ground. Earlier this week I dug my welder out of storage after being unused for quite a few years. I also bought some "welding practice" mild steel, hoping I can acquire the skills to weld the thin gauge stuff, which I have never done before.

I have obtained plans for Timber Wolf and Warrior, plus a couple of others. I plan on making some mods to the published plans for the Warrior, some of which are features of Timber Wolf.

Thanks for the opportunity to join this forum, and I hope I can both learn and contribute here.

Hi there

Not a tadpole man myself , however I am a builder in the Brad style !

There is a huge difference in performance and utility between the Warrior and the TimberWolf , I cannot see how you could be happy with a Warrior if you feel you need some of the features of a TimberWolf ?

Tells us more ?

Paul

I would like to use the wide hub feature of the Timberwolf on the front wheels of the Warrior. This includes using a rotating axle. Of course I realize some of the challenges of using the rotating axle in the steerable front of the Warrior, and I am willing to accept any suggestions on how to provide an adequate structure. I believe that the wide hub will provide more lateral strength in turns than the suggested bmx wheels that are only supported on one side. I am envisioning a 2 bearing support for the axle shaft that will swing on the pivot of the head tube.

Thanks for your reply.

There are 2 kinds of BMX wheels :-

Poser wheels that have lot's of spokes and wide rims however only have 9mm axles NOT suitable for trikes.
Real BMX wheels have all of the above and 14mm axles , you will not bend them.

However the hard bit is finding them with disc brake mountings as most BMX bikes either have rim brakes or no brakes at all.

You can use rear wheels on the front if they are the only one's you can find , they tend to be wider as they have the threaded portion for the free wheel.

Paul

What Paul said. You're unlikely to have any wheel strength issues with a 14mm axled BMX rear wheel unless very heavy or intend to race it off-road.

If you get anything originally intended for a bmx it will not have disc brakes. Bmx front wheels will have no option to mount discs. Bmx rear wheels will have a thread for a freewheel and you can get screw on adapters to mount a disc. This works great on a right side wheel where the disc is on the left but on the left side wheel the brake will unscrew the disc mount. It is possible to use epoxy glue on it and also bolt the adapter through the wheel hub if the hub is sufficiently tall. It's a bodge but it works.

Back