My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

I'm impressed that you attempted it and more impressed you made it. The effort in just shoving a trolley a few yards across Lidl's snow covered car park was enough to convince me to stay indoors.
The wife claiming don't be stupid you are mad and want your head testing is a great incentive ?

Just what Drypod is designed for ?

Well that didn't go according to plan ....

Had to meet my brother at my mothers to move some stuff , usual ride for me , I think he looks down his nose a bit at me turning up on the trike [ bit frosty ] so needed to be punctual etc.

50 yards from destination got a very flat flat ! put some air in to bluff riding up to fix later got another 10 yards and imitating a pancake , no choice but to drag it there to find him packing his car up and ready to leave bummer !!!

Got tyre off and found puncture a small slit in inner tube , no sign of anything in the carcass , remembered i had left a tube and tyre in garage for just such occasion fitted that pumped it up ok.

When and spoke to mother back on trike got about 10 yards and flat AGAIN !

So back to mothers least is was a very sunny day if to cold for doing this.....

As trike set up for Holland I had two new inner tubes with me so hauled out a new one after checking 2nd tyre to check nothing in it [ could not find leak in tube ] put some air in it to make it round for fitting saw 2 aneurysm in it that would have made a grown man faint .

So now have 1 duff tyre 1 suspect tyre and 3 unusable 3 inner tubes , not really going well is it ?

Out with last ' new ' tube pumped up ok and fitted I rode off with some relief.

On inspection the marathon had 2 shards of glass in it both down to the green guard could not find anything else , so new tube refitted and fingers crossed that fixed it.

To be honest with my cycling I have yet to wear out a pair of tyres they all get thrown away because of damage before they are worn out , these should last this winter.

The trike on the other hand is not faring well , it was never titivated last year as it did not go to Holland.

This is the back with the front to the left you can just see the panniers.

rear seat mount look at state of lower exposed bolt.

This is the front seat mount those pristine looking bolts have been on the same length of time but are protected by the bit of angle [ genius I say ! ]

Other side of angle....

And we round off with the poor pivot and front end , need some new rod end bearing me thinks judging by the slop and creaking coming from the,.

Most of the damage I think is from being 5" from the ground and the stuff thrown up by the front wheel , need to get higher me thinks ?

all for now Paul [ Python pilot extraordinaire [ in his own mind ..]]

Perhaps you need a front mudguard lower extension? Having the frame powder coated instead of painted may help too. I had a bike frame and forks powder coated recently. It would have been just £40 if I didn't want sparkles in it for another £20. Being a sucker for bling I paid the extra £20. If you're feeling really adventurous you could get the frame electroplated. Galvanized would be practical and nickel plated would look great.

You have a lot of work to do as you want to paint it. I would let it powder coat like Popshot says.
Now you have time to do that all. The Netherlands doesn't allow to travel from and to the UK for now. Also, there is noting to do out here ad the moment. Evening clock and all restaurants are closed. It is only takeaway or delivery.

Popshot & Emiel

There is a large mudflap just visible to the left of the lower rod end bearing.
I think it is a problem with some parts of the frame being 5" off the floor.
I don't recall anyone on here showing pictures of well traveled tadpoles so does it affect them ?

I have heard bad things about powder coating in respect to car chassis , also this design is constantly eveolving being drilled and welded on a yearly basis so not ideal if powder coated ?

Take care all Paul

As you keep working on it, then just paint it. Powder coating is nice, but not as you keep working on it. Then I would just use paint.

As you use basic colors, then just sand the pieces that lost the paint and paint those parts. I do the same with my trike.
My new one get a powder coat, but that can take a while before I put that on. I want to be sure my trike is ready and doesn't need things to change. As the powder coat is on, I want it to be finished.

Nahhhh....... Just burn it! Burn it with fiery flame and then make yourself a proper "tadpole" trike instead.
Then you will no longer be a social outcast. ;)
Other advice is available. :D

Well it used to be good and I had not realised it is now poor as they changed the formula ?

guess ?

Hammerite.

Car builders claim that normal Dulux gloss goes on better is cheaper and easier to find and just as durable.....

So hope to try that soon.

Paul

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I just use auto enamel - in a spray can. I have a single-wheel bike trailer frame that has been out in the weather for about 4 years and not used and it still looks fine. A welder would soon fix that but it could be readily re-painted.

Whatever you use next Paul, it looks like you need to take the Hammerite off first. It looks like it has poor adhesion to the steel and is shelling off.

Whatever you use next Paul, it looks like you need to take the Hammerite off first. It looks like it has poor adhesion to the steel and is shelling off.
yes picture 2 the big bare patch to the right of the lower bolt was just ' is that mud and will it wipe off ? well yes it did wipe off because the paint left the steel ! '

Paul

I just use auto enamel - in a spray can.
Not keen on these as they are hard to use in a small UK urban environment [ SWMBO does not like paint on the grass or plants ] and difficult to just ' touch up ' a bad area

I have a single-wheel bike trailer frame that has been out in the weather for about 4 years and not used and it still looks fine.
I think the clue there is ' and not used ' this is the direct result of years of grit blasting !

Paul

Ok warm enough in UK to feel spring is around the corner , sap is rising and lock-down boredom is biting.

I found this on t'web...Tilting delta Flevo/Hybrid and decided I needed to try one.

So that's why I have a mule ? sort of variably configurable Python ?

So use as much as possible ....

Front end was not quite right could not easily get a wheel in and chain rubbed on frame in lower front rings.

Brush with the flap disc on the inside of the drop outs got the wheel in.

It is possible that the chain problem was caused by not reading the build instuctions properly and getting the axle to far away from the frame, due to the frame depth it needs to be as close as possible and still get the wheel nuts on ?

like this :-

done :-

Much better and now some clearance :-

Sadly front ring cannot go below about 36 t by the looks of it , however by the time it is rubbing there are duplicate gears in the 48t so change UP !

I thing a rebuild Mega range will suffice for not having a 28T front ring and make it simpler , not like it will ever go to Holland with some camping gear ...

Next up Duschar joint:-

So on this front to left and rear to right.

I need to parallel tubes one main spine from rear terminating in the 12mm rod end bearing and spine connection front end to seat and connected via 12mm rod end and elastomer.

Like this :-

We have the parts ....

Paul

If you want to raise the seat won't you largely have to remake the front frame with the pivot higher in relation to it's place now?

If you want to raise the seat won't you largely have to remake the front frame with the pivot higher in relation to it's place now?
Well the seat will have to be a bit higher to accommodate the elastomer , I need to mock some of this up to see how the dimensions pan out ?

Like this hopefully I will only need 1 elastomer ?

Paul

As it works and you like the system, then I would cut away a part where the chain hits the frame. You can close the opening and it will be strong enough. You can always ad a strip inside as you don't trust it. Then you can reach all gears. Moving the pedals a bit up, will also help a bit.

It depends on the weight how many elastomer you need. Do you also ad one by the steering?

I am also working on my trike. Weather is good and comming week I get my steering, so I want the trike ready for a test ride next week.
Hopefully it stays this weather for a while.

Emiel

Yes there are lot's of options , if I can get a internal geared hub in the problem would go away , the steel is over strong at 2mm [ only stuff I could get at the time ]

I suppose I am no porker @ 75kg ish ? No elastomer on the steering [ yet ! ]

yes lets get building.

Paul

ps where is half way between where you live and Hook of Holland , just idly dreaming

Paul, I think one is enough. You can always ad one, if you find it having to much flex.

Internal gearing will solve a lot.

Hook of Holland is about 156 km from where I live. Breda is halfway. I live in Helmond. Eindhoven is ad the left of my city.