My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

Hi all

The Mk1 trike was built almost 6 years ago [ this April ] it does about 1k miles a year and has been to Holland 3 times so far towing a camping trailer each time.
it has a few short comings including lack luggage space as it is very short [ fits in car without dismantling ] and both brakes on the front wheel [ bad idea ]
It has worn out about 3 sets of tyres , 1 x front wheel , 1 x chain and 1 x rear derailleur also been through about 3 pairs of 12mm rod end bearings.

So it was to be replaced by the Mk2 build it was to have 2 rear SA drum brakes more luggage space and rear suspension [ a cul-de-sac I should not have gone down ! ] also a better pivot implementation ?

It is still not finished !

So where does the Mk1.5 come into the picture ?

A unique feature of a Python is it's central pivot remove one 12mm bolt and the trike splits in 2 leaving all controls and drive train parts on the front half and 2 rear wheels , seat and frame on the rear half !

So it is easy to attach the Mk1 front to the Mk2 rear and end up with a mk1.5 !

So I have hacked out the rear suspension and built a better/cleaner seat mount and am ready for the union with the Mk1 front end ...

So here it is in daylight seat right distance for Mk1 front end.

Hopefully more room for luggage ?

Still got problems with one wheel dragging more than other , one stops dead quite quickly when spun despite new bearings.
The other wheels also has new bearings stopping the notichiness felt when spining it and swings from side to side when stopping till rests with valve at bottom [ always a good sign ]

regards Paul

Last edited:
It looks pretty good Paul.
Its a shame the new front end and the "PPP" did not make it for the 2019 excursion to Holland. But at least the rod-ends are proven and a known quantity.
There's always next year. :D

It looks pretty good Paul.
Thanks despite Johns prediction with a one bristle brush I managed to put 0.9mm of paint on :D
Although of course there were 4 surfaces for each clamp ?

Its a shame the new front end and the "PPP" did not make it for the 2019 excursion to Holland. But at least the rod-ends are proven and a known quantity.
Got diverted by the Nazca , and a nagging feeling there was insufficient time to test a whole new trike before the off ?

However if I bolted the Mk1 front to the Mk2 rear I could have drum brakes on the rear ? need much less testing than a whole new drive train ? however the fly in that ointment is the wheel that won't spin with no sensible ideas why it does not work properly ?

There's always next year. :D
best way to look at it ....

Last edited:
When are you off on the next foray to Holland paul ?
Is this the same issue that Dan had with the bearings, all I can think of is that there is a preload on the bearings other than that I am stumped for an answer
regards
John

When are you off on the next foray to Holland paul ?
Possibly the day after you get back ? but nothing finalised yet.

Is this the same issue that Dan had with the bearings, all I can think of is that there is a preload on the bearings other than that I am stumped for an answer
regards John
mentioned in detail here SA Drum brake dragging

This is a long shot Paul, its not impossible that spoke tension is distorting the outer flange of the hub creating a misalignment between the inner and outer bearings, might be worth trying slackening the spokes to the outboard flange and see if that alters anything ?

This is a long shot Paul, its not impossible that spoke tension is distorting the outer flange of the hub creating a misalignment between the inner and outer bearings, might be worth trying slackening the spokes to the outboard flange and see if that alters anything ?
I fancy making a stand of wood for the wheel to bolt to and checking it for trueness ?

I also have 2 unpurposed hubs so maybe rebuild the wheel with a new hub is an option ?

I checked my SA90 Hubs for true this time by bolting the m to a 12mm hole in an piece of angle-iron in a vise.
The dial gauge let me get them to within <1mm (in fact far less than that). Simple to do, and very satisfying too.

The dial gauge let me get them to within <1mm (in fact far less than that).
What should I expect to pay for a dial gauge ? they seem to start at £5 ..

What should I expect to pay for a dial gauge ? they seem to start at £5 ..
I paid £15 for mine with a really good magnetic base to fix it to.
HERE

I paid £15 for mine with a really good magnetic base to fix it to.
HERE
Dan thanks for this ? is there a reason why almost all of the pictures of them on Ebay does not show then at Zero ?

regards Paul

Dan thanks for this ? is there a reason why almost all of the pictures of them on Ebay does not show then at Zero ?

regards Paul
Yes, there is.
You set it up so that the dial(s) are on convenient numbers so you can measure both run-in and run-out as the tip is moved by the bike rim. The bezel rotates to allow you to set a 0 starting point for the low-scale.
I was amazed at how precise it allows you to true a wheel, much better than calibrated eyeball. :p

SirJoey

Super Moderator
... and inspired by Lil Hornet !!!
Thank you for the kind recognition! I was thinking that very thing when I saw yours,
but I didn't wanna call attention to my humble creation from days gone by, nor "steal your thunder".

Yours truly does look great, though. Wicked fast for a small trike, I'm sure! :)

Thank you for the kind recognition! I was thinking that very thing when I saw yours,
but I didn't wanna call attention to my humble creation from days gone by, nor "steal your thunder".

No thunder stolen and still inspirational ....

Yours truly does look great, though. Wicked fast for a small trike, I'm sure! :)

Corners very well and not a bad ride for such a short w/b [ to get it in the car in one piece ] however like yours quite low geared not a disadvantage as it is very hilly where I live [ mainly short but steep ] and Pythons can be become very lively at that end of the envelope !

Whilst I have had it on 2 wheels the only time it dumped me was when I locked the front wheel up and slid on some mud into a ditch full of water , going to fast for the bend :(

Someone was seen crawling out from under it on a tennis court ? no one saw him turn it over in such a small space however there was a vacant look in his eyes and the smell of recreational substances ?

regards Paul

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Someone was seen crawling out from under it on a tennis court ? no one saw him turn it over in such a small space however there was a vacant look in his eyes and the smell of recreational substances ?
LOL! Hmmm... wonder what those "substances" were, & if they had anything to do with it? Hmmm... :unsure: