My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

SirJoey

Super Moderator
A velo is my dream HPV. Wanted one ever since the early 80s when I first discovered them.
Sadly though, buying one is still way outta my budget, & building one is outta the question.
So, unless I stumble across a killer deal on a used one, I guess I'll keep on dreaming... :sleep:

About another 8 miles , as it is very wet in the UK and I don't like the rain however I need to see how it brakes in the wet ?

Answer well only slightly exciting as long as you image one of your testicles in each hand when you squeeze the brake levers.

Speedo failed who though a single screw on a SS spoke is good enough to hold a magnet in place ?

Trying to get it out of the rain @ a cafe stop smashed a wing mirror off grrr.... more work as the common bit ended up free and the custom bit in the handle bar end was smashed so I need to make another one.

off to the garage...

oh and it is still raining , been doing that since Monday night ..

About another 8 miles , as it is very wet in the UK and I don't like the rain however I need to see how it brakes in the wet ?

Answer well only slightly exciting as long as you image one of your testicles in each hand when you squeeze the brake levers.

Speedo failed who though a single screw on a SS spoke is good enough to hold a magnet in place ?

Trying to get it out of the rain @ a cafe stop smashed a wing mirror off grrr.... more work as the common bit ended up free and the custom bit in the handle bar end was smashed so I need to make another one.

off to the garage...

oh and it is still raining , been doing that since Monday night ..
Oh, so those brakes are only slightly better than the single disc + V-Brake on the front then? ;)

Oh, so those brakes are only slightly better than the single disc + V-Brake on the front then? ;)
Pay attention at the back there Clarke !!!

Whilst locklng either/both rear wheels up is exciting it does not stop the steering [ much ;) ]

Pay attention at the back there Clarke !!!

Whilst locklng either/both rear wheels up is exciting it does not stop the steering [ much ;) ]
I think that despite all the grief and all your "moaning", you are secretly quite pleased that it works so well.:whistle:

I've imagined it and I can't unimagine it now.
No, No, No! You are not supposed to imagine one of Paul's testicles in each of your hands! That's just plain wrong. But perfectly legal, I understand. :ROFLMAO:

Just shy of 40 miles done now.

Apologies due as I wrongly slagged off the SA brake levers , I found with some wiggling the cable could be attached/detached without taking the levers off the bars :whistle: so they were fitted and are working well [ I like the 'big' lever as they are easy to use with gloves on ]

Rear brakes are sharp however as long as the surface is dry they are easily mastered.

Wet or loose/mud surfaces are very different kettle of birds of a feather and require the utmost caution and forward planning....

So that's all going to be fine till I have to do an emergency stop on a less than favourable surface , at that point all bets are off on the likely outcome :)

Need to move parking brake as it has twice dug in the back of my leg and tighten cable a little.

Add more tubing to the rear frame and a bit of electrical tape as the paint seems to be rubbing off on the panniers ? Ok for Lidl panniers NOT ok for Ortlieb panniers at 3 times the price.

more miles needed Paul

By George he's got it! Wizard Sortie eh-what old boy?

55 miles now.

No problems with the new parts today and all worked as imagined.

Slight hair raising incident as I was waved across a busy road junction , reached 8.5 mph when I had to do a sharp 90' turn onto the pavement got the Python on 2 wheels easy enough to correct just leaned towards the high side and it dropped back onto 3 wheels and the ride continued.

More rides to come , trying for 130 miles before Holland.

Paul

55 miles now.

No problems with the new parts today and all worked as imagined.

Slight hair raising incident as I was waved across a busy road junction , reached 8.5 mph when I had to do a sharp 90' turn onto the pavement got the Python on 2 wheels easy enough to correct just leaned towards the high side and it dropped back onto 3 wheels and the ride continued.

More rides to come , trying for 130 miles before Holland.

Paul
I think you have it beat now. Holland will be very revealing for you as you go "trailer free" as you wanted.

I think you have it beat now. Holland will be very revealing for you as you go "trailer free" as you wanted.
So feeling somewhat smug the wife say's how come this trike thing is always a last minute panic to get it ready involving lots of 😠 & 😧&😭?

Now I very carefully engaged brain before answering that question , especially as the trike was in pieces on the front lawn and being welded in the garage the day before I left for Holland last year .......

So I lamely said ' well I started early enough [ Xmas ! ] and then ran into problems , your honour.....'

Best put the tail between my legs and slink away me thinks ;)

Ok 67 miles now and nothing to report.

I wondered about getting the miles on and why I was doing it ? then realised whilst I walk up to the trike and still think ah new rear end , wheels , brakes etc I need to keep riding..
When I walk up to it and the trike has moved from new to familiar then the pre-holiday riding is done ?

Will that happen before Holland , most unlikely :(

So problem most pressing , how to transport it to York and Hull ?

Rack unfinished so try bunging it inside in one piece is the first option , the Mk1 barely fit and the door slammed shut on it..

The Mk1.5 ?

It only damn well fits , as long as I raise the rear end hence the box.

I cranked the seat back forward which helps.

and plenty of room for other stuff !

plenty please Paul

Now there's an unexpected event. :D
Nothing left to moan about now ;)

Nothing left to moan about now ;)
Me ?

I think I have had enough problems getting here 😭 it is a miracle I am not suicidal ?

142 miles now.

Did what I wanted and stayed up with the big boys and little braking drama to report so far.

Friday - Selby solo , most of route very badly rutted rail route and a bit of road work.[ trike got a really punishing shaking , high lighted a loose light and computer.]
Saturday - solo Wetherspoons for breakfast the group ride to Beningbrough Hall for lunch and free tea/coffee if turn up on bike ! - evening pub run mixed road/rail route nice and fast 13mph+ most of way
Sunday - 2 of us to Wetherspoons for breakfast mooch round rally site buying cheap junk and left about 2:00 for home about 4:30.

Met Pegasus and his Python trike , some nice features I may have to copy , difficulty for me to ride it as it was to short for me really. Considerably lighter than the Mk1.5 and very lively could see in it's current configuration being tiring to ride on a long journey.

Well it sounds like you have all the bugs shaken out now at least!
Glad the braking was all drama-free. Looks like the trike will make it to Holland then?

Looks like the trike will make it to Holland then?
Started by washing stuff I used at weekend ready for packing 😁

Dining room table contents must fit in 3 panniers , next challenge.

Probably break out new tent as well , old faithful is now showing age and had a bit of incontinence oddly coming through floor where footprint ended [ never had that before ]

Ok pilot and trike home safely.

Lots of adventures in 484 miles all but the 10 miles each way to the ferry ridden in Holland

Will sort a few pictures out and an appraisal of trike soon.

ps on the plus side I lost 2.6kg by drinking 0% beer and dropping the puddings after the main meals , very happy with that.

Last edited:
Great news! I hope all the emergency stops were few & far-between and uneventful ;-)