MIA ? Emeil , Popshot , Maddox & Pegasus

Hi all

So guys are you all well ?

Being doing any bike building ? you all had projects on the go IIRC

take care out there

Paul

I´m alive. Reasons of silence.
Work. Got a new responsibility. A 1500kw CHP plant ( the other part is the waste water treatment plant.)
Evening class French.
Hobbies
Robotwars started again on the live circuit.
Cosplay/reenactment costumes and gear maintenance.

Bikes. Adding lights and things to my wifes HP Scorpion 26 FS.
Repairing my brothers bike.

Glad to hear it.

yes that looks plenty busy.

Scorpion is nice FS standing for full suspension ? is that the model with flat blade wishbones ? or am I thinking of a different trike ?

Take car Paul

Clemantine is an orange (hence the name) Full Suspension HP Scorpion we could buy second hand. And yes, it uses the flat wishbone suspension with torsion bar support.

Did change a load of things tough.
Originaly it used a SA dual drive with a Deore 8 cassette. My wife tried it, and she couldn't get the hang of using the cassette. Shifting when comfortably standing still in the reclining chair isn't a strong point of cassettes.
So we are testing the Nexus 8 in this setup. This agrees more with Babeth.

Added a Bafang 36V 500W mid motor with a 40 tooth chainring.

And of course, lights. Added LED strips that do normal lights (to be seen, not to see) and blinkers.
A seperate 120 lumen bike light to illuminate the bikepath.

A change of job hours has left me with less than half the useful spare time I had and my elderly frail mother is also taking a fair portion of that. What time I have spent in the garage has largely been on keeping my day to day bike going or acquiring the odd spares bike.
I have picked up a small fleet (3) of Mobike lites for a princely £25 as donors. If anyone wants a whole one or any parts let me know. The mudguards (for 26" wheels) are much more solid affairs than is usual which could certainly find a use in many of the types of machine built here and these are chain drive with conventional two sided wheel mounts so have uses different to the regular Mobike. There's a dynamo in the front wheel, drums at both ends and nice led lights with a solar panel. Once I can find some time the next project will be a Mosquito with the 24" Mobike std single sided wheels at the blunt end and the 26" Lite version at the front. That'll give 3x90mm drums. I'll put some pictures up when I get one stripped sufficiently but I'm awaiting some anti-tamper bits to do it.

yes that equates to hands full busy.

Especially if you are using your bike daily.

Are you saying the Mobikes have SA 90mm drums ?

All the rental bikes I have seen have Roller brakes and other Shimano bit's , I did buy a ' NOS ' front wheel just to get the roller brake/dynamo hub for £20

all the best Paul

The regular Mobikes have single side mount 90mm drums and 24" alloy wheels. The Mobike lite has regular both side mounted 90mm drums and 26" alloy wheels.

And my brothers bike bites my posteriour again.

He uses a not so cheap Merida (he didn't pay for it), with a Sram Eagle 1x12 . But after using a 500W Bafang BBS02b for a while , he asked me to install a Bafang 1000W BBSHD.

After a few 100km, the back wheel started desintegrating. The cassette was eating gears and getting wonkier by the week. And not long after that, he was having spokes ( light laced wheel with 24 spokes) popping like popcorn. So, he's not willing (not unable, he's not that stupid) to learn to do anything mechanical himself (the antithesis of the Atomic Zombies), and not willing to spend a load of cash, it was up to me to find a budget and maintenance friendly solution.

My answer. You going all out, with the Bafang doing its level best in torque, the only drivetrain, realy cheap, reliable and maintenance friendly, is a single speed.
But alas, he wants gears, the more the better.
So, I ended up installing a Nexus 8 with a 36 spoke double wall rim.

Today , that poor hub will have the first taste of abuse...

And my brothers bike bites my posteriour again.

He uses a not so cheap Merida (he didn't pay for it), with a Sram Eagle 1x12 . But after using a 500W Bafang BBS02b for a while , he asked me to install a Bafang 1000W BBSHD.

After a few 100km, the back wheel started desintegrating. The cassette was eating gears and getting wonkier by the week. And not long after that, he was having spokes ( light laced wheel with 24 spokes) popping like popcorn. So, he's not willing (not unable, he's not that stupid) to learn to do anything mechanical himself (the antithesis of the Atomic Zombies), and not willing to spend a load of cash, it was up to me to find a budget and maintenance friendly solution.

My answer. You going all out, with the Bafang doing its level best in torque, the only drivetrain, realy cheap, reliable and maintenance friendly, is a single speed.

Good Luck! Keep the workbench clear for its return methinks. ;)

Regarding the use of a BBSHD, a Canadian company has a good solution to a freehub destroying itself from all that power. They designed a hub where the splined piece holding the derailleur gears has been modified to be for want of a better word, solid. No little ratchet pawls inside. The rationale is the Bafang motor already has a freewheel device built into it and that freewheel is designed to handle the power of the motor. An extra benefit is since the chain keeps moving when you are not pedaling there is no slack and you get smoother shifts.

Hope that Nexus 8 was cheap , I would start looking for another one NOW!
I have several Nexus 7's of unknown provenance , however as some only cost £1 and non more that £10 I can afford a failure , need to use one first though :whistle:.

Paul

Where does one buy Sturmey Archer equiped wheels?
Are you talking about IGH or drum brakes ?

In the UK you can't.

We have to buy the parts separately and build are own.

We use sjscycles , even then you have to buy hub shell/back plate and the cable adjuster all separate.

Watch out the brakes also come in 70mm and 90mm versions and wheel chair fitting's [ Q/R but need special axles @ over £14 each last time I looked !]

Paul

I was asked to repair and E-motor an ancient tandem.
Several issues came up. Mainly the wheels.
The wheels have 36 spokes, with SA hubs. Forward is just a 70mm drum brake hub, in the back it's a 3 speed with 70mm drumbrake. With liners of the brakepads crumbling and every steel part rusted shut into the aluminium parts.
The old degraded white tires are marked 26", but no 26" tire I have does come close to fitting. Also, the rims are very shallow but heavy at the same time.

Easy solution would be buying new wheels.
But finding a set of SA wheels is like panning for gold in a sewage treatment plant.

From Sheldon Brown's web site :-

You can see these are ALL labeled 26" wheels however they also ALL have different metric diameter's.

Try German Ebay , there is lot's of Sturmey Archer stuff on there new , and a company that use to have ready made wheels however the fix is not going to be cheap.
If the rest of the tandem is as bad as the wheels ? beyond economic repair
or
Think out of the box and find some wheels with roller brakes and a Nexus hub , however don't ride it anywhere hilly !

Paul

The rest of the tandem is solid steel construction, all brazed with big fat reinforcements. Replace wheels and brakes with modern stuff, and it becomes a heavy E-assist tandem.

I did look at a Shinamo setup, but also there, a lot out of stock.