Manitoba Warrior

It,s been a while since I,ve dropped in. My Warrior build is now entering it,s 4th year. It started out a pedal only then a BionX 500 watt system was added. The xtra power on tap was a bit much for the frame so some gussets were added which solved all issues. Then I decided to add fenders, a rear rack and panniers. A definite good addition. Then in it,s 2nd winter a space type interior frame covered with yellow coroplast was built. It incorporated a rear tailbox and the entire front section from the seat back forward tilted up so I could get in and out.The weather protection was great. in minus 10C weather as long as I was pedalling a light jacket and gloves were sufficient to stay warm. But it was a heavy body and put too much weight on the front of the boom. Plus at the time I felt it attracted way to much attention so off it came. Then another body was built, this time using small alum angles pop riveted together and fastening white coroplast panels to the alum with small bolts. Much better and the streamlining effect offered a noticeably easier pedalling, ie less effort to ride, especially against the wind. This body was fixed in place and had a door on the right side and a the top part over the rider was a large hatch that pivoted up. I felt it was a little tight in the arm and shoulder area so the front part of the body has now been removed leaving a streamlined tailbox that has 2 built in panniers and LED turn signals powered by a small 12V battery from Can Tire. By small I mean roughly 6" long and 3" high and wide. Since I wanted to retain the LED headlight and front LED turn signals an alum frame was built and added to a 12" front boom extension. To this was added a curved piece of coroplast which offers wind protection for my feet and a place to mount the signals. I feel it is now good enough and will proceed to use it. On a 40 km ride the other day around Winnipeg it was easy to maintain a 16 to 24kph speed without using the e boost except for the occasional overpass type hills. This trike now has around 4000 kms coming up on it and it,s been and still is a great ride. I will put up a couple pics of it in a few days, I assume that is still possible in this newer version of the forum.

Here is the latest version of the Warrior and for me the best. The small front plate protects my feet from wind and rain (when moving) plus is a turn signal mount. The tailbox has a flip up lid that covers 2 built in panniers large enough for rain gear, spare tubes, tools, gloves, etc and in my opinion helps the airflow in other words makes the trike a bit more aerodynamic. The shelf visible just to the side of the seat holds an air zound horn and a small 12 V battery for the LED head and turn lights. The mirror array was I guess an art object at the forks in Winnipeg about 3 years ago, they like to do that stuff there.

I took it for a 75 km ride the other day around Winnipeg. There were 3 factory built trikes on the ride, 2 of which were expensive ICE models with suspension. One comment about mine was it looks heavy. And it is a few pounds heavier than the others but somehow I was able to ride along no problem. Mine has electric assist but the battery is now over 4 years old and has lost some of it,s range so it doesn't get turned on until there is a hill or an intersection where speed feels like the safer plan.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
One comment about mine was it looks heavy.
Yeah, that seems to be their main criticism, but we can always point
out that although theirs may be a little lighter, so is their wallet! :LOL:

Not to mention the fact that anyone can own one by throwing huge sums of money
at it (as I myself have done several times), but not everyone can build their own! ;)

I am also a Manitoban with a warrior build. Right now I've taken parts off of it to build another bike but I still have the warrior frame.

That's funny you should mention that Valentine, I am considering retiring my Warrior this coming winter but salvaging some of the parts as well.

It's mostly the front wheels and brakes that I salvage because they were a huge pain to buy and build. If not for those I could probably build a trike over a weekend. I think it took me a year of bringing the wheel parts to various bike shops before one of them actually made what I was asking for.

Last year I used the parts on a "wolf bike" which was a sort of tandem bike with a steel wolf in front which someone could ride. But the steering was done at the back and with someone on the wolf you couldn't see where you were going...

So I dismantled that and this year made another tandem but you sit side-by-side. I posted some pictures in the gallery. It is of course too wide to be of any use in Winnipeg unless you want to take up a whole lane, but I intend to bring it to some very cool places where there is lots of space for such a contraption.

For my front wheels I spoke to Phil at Bikes and Beyond on Henderson Hwy. I told him 36 spoke 20" rims on disc brake hubs were needed. He spent about 15 mins looking up the parts. I had one of his mechanics lace the wheels up, cost all in approx $400. Funny thing was I had spoken to his mechanic beforehand looking for information since this was all new to me. The mechanic told me later he gets lot's of questions from people re building trikes, etc and since there is rarely a follow up he doesn't care to spend much time answering question's. However once he saw I had actually built my own trike he became a lot more forthcoming.

I have a BMX shop and someone that makes bikes for people with not much money, that help me.
The BMX shop is cheap and made my front wheels.
The other man gave me parts for my bike and held me putting some parts togheter. He gives me parts for free.
I got also parts from www.deliggendehollander.nl

The trike may be a bit heavier, but you can make it to fit you. It's also special, because every bike that is made, is made a bit different, what makes them unique.

I like that last image.