Jon's Warrior Build

I found one vendor on ebay in the US who sells them, will cost $72 CAD to buy a pair and have them shipped here. I could re-order the brakes with the right adapters from the original place I ordered from for less than that, and get a whole new set of calipers/rotors/levers.

Maybe I should buy some 1/4" aluminum plate, and just machine them myself. I do have a Sherline CNC mill, but the setup for stuff like this is crazy if you don't do it all the time.

I think what I'll do to start with is 3D print a mount, and see how complex the machining/welding would have to be.

Here's a couple close-up pics showing the position of the calipers.

Right wheel:

Left wheel:

I've found some generic adapters at aliexpress that seem like they would work, at least in terms of getting an IS mount:

Adapters

Not sure I want to wait a month to get them though. There are other adapters on the site that I can get quicker, with substantially larger shipping charges.

Here's a couple close-up pics showing the position of the calipers.

Right wheel:

Left wheel:

On the left it looks like a pair of simple plates welded horizontally to the existing arm and picking up the existing bolt holes could work ? , maybe there is no room for an adaptor on the left anyway ?

regards Paul

So I made up a cardboard template, and decided to model it and 3D print it to make sure it would work before committing to metal. I need to get better fasteners, but these will do until then (m6 x 30mm).

It appears to work perfectly, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I'm currently printing the right-side mount as I type here.

I ordered and received some 9-speed chains, as well as a couple tools, so I'll be working on the drivetrain next.

Here's the other side, which also worked out really well:

I machined a set of aluminum spacers on my lathe, and printed simpler versions of the flat parts so I can trace them out on 3/16" steel.

Here's the first side done in steel, with the aluminum spacers.

The 30mm bolts are just a few mm too long, so I either have to grind them down, or put two or three washers behind the head to get the ends of the bolts even with the caliper body. Note that I haven't welded the plate in place yet.

Yeah, I've got them installed now and working. Took the trike out for a little spin (had my son pushing me) - was kind of neat. First time I've been on a recumbent, or a tadpole trike for that matter.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
My first bent was factory-built. I bought it 35 years ago, back in 1985, when bents
were still rare & kind of a novelty.
Over the years since then, I've purchased several
others, & built about 2 dozen! Yeah, I guess you could say I'm "bent for life". :giggle:

...and now, YOU will be TOO!

Tried building a Streetfox in 2011 but stopped due external factors. Bought a trike earlier this year, and returned to the fold. 3 months, 1800 miles. I like it.

I hope Emiel can spur me on building a second trike, so my wife can join me pedaling over Flanders roads.