It is with the greatest sadness.....

Dear friends,

It is with the greatest sadness and a very heavy heart that I must tell you today of the passing of our own friend, mentor and builder-Extraordinaire - John Price aka "Sandman" .
I spoke with John only last Thursday evening and I was concerned not to hear from him again for 3 days. Today I contacted the Marina where his boat is moored and got them to investigate.

The Sussex police have just called me to confirm that they have attended and he was found to have passed away some time since that Thursday night.

To say that I am personally upset & distressed is a bit of an understatement, we had become very firm friends and he has been here to stay at my place and we have sunk many VAT's together.
Only 2 weekends ago I visited him and we had a marvelous lunch and a great chat, I will miss him terribly.

John & I had booked to go touring again this June, and he was hopeful that his new trike would be completed by then.

Here are the three of us John (The Bad), Paul (The Hungry) and me Danny (The Good ) pictured in happier times on our tour together in Holland.

Trike on John old boy; rest in peace my dear friend.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
So very sad on hearing the bad news , John was a great engineer , His design of the folding trike was a masterpiece .he will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Dan

Those were good times we shared with John and it is very sad that they cannot now be repeated.

John at speed leading the charge to Delft ....

and about to tuck into something revolting [ to a vegetarian that is !!!]

.. and on his element ?

Do we need to go to the William of Orange and raise a glass to his memory ?

Last edited:
Life can at times, seem like nothing but heartache. Just last week we lost one of our camping friends as well.
And yet another is now on 'hospice', with limited time .
To hear of 'another' loss, of one of our AZ friends, keeps pulling at the heart strings.
We will miss Johns contribution to the AZ community.

Not to be, insensitive about the aforementioned losses, but we are feeling a loss of another kind.
The mrs., had a crunch up last week, (all OK), but we just came from the repair shop, and it appears her pride and joy, may be a total loss.

Its been with her since 2002, and it still looks like it came off the showroom floor.
Inside and out.......Well, it did until last week...😢

Don't want to go back into debt, but maybe a new 'pride and joy', will help with her loss.

Last edited:
Dan

Those were good times we shared with John and it is very sad that they cannot now be repeated.

Do we need to go to the William of Orange and raise a glass to his memory ?
Paul,
I should think it would be rude not to. He had a real liking for the place and the square there.

I am toasting his departure as I type. He always wanted to do something a little different. Behind me on my cupboard are this years T-Shirts that John bought in preparation for a visit to "Basil's" on day 1 of this year's planned trip. They are "The Parrot Sketch" and he was looking forward to delivering the Cafe owner his own personal T-Shirt. Generous to a fault John was.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Very sad to hear this news, and sincere condolences to those who knew John as more than just the amazing long-time member known as Sandman.
I will be sure to move all of his threads and images here from the old forum when the day comes for it to close.
That will be my part to preserve the amazing contributions he made, and truly inspirational ideas and designs he shared.

Brad

They called today and said “You’d Gone”,
So our nightly chats can’t carry on.
They gently told me you were dead.
But mate I know, you’ve just “toured ahead”.

....... sorry, feeling mawkish I guess.

KoolKat

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.ATOMICZOMBIE.com
Oh no! 😢

My deepest condolences to everyone who know and love John. This is so upsetting. He was and still is such a big part of this community. We will miss him dearly.

A huge hug to all of you. xoxoxox

graucho

Super Moderator
Sarona, Wisconsin / Apache Junction, Arizona
I only knew John online as the sandman. I am heavy in my heart. Its amazing how folks who converse online can become a friend and comrade. He was very talented and played a big part in the world building movement. Thank you John Price aka "Sandman" God bless on your journey home brother.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
....seems only 5 minutes since DTD departed, and now this - very sad - rest in peace Mr. Sandman.....
DTD departed on his final tour 7 months ago .
John will always be remember by the 4 bath tub ducks with springs stick to their underneaths .

4 sprung duck techniques

his adaption of

'Vorsprung Durch Technik'?

The German phrase 'vorsprung durch technik' is usually translated into English as 'progress through technology'.

A literal translation would be 'advancement through technology'. There's no single English word which is an exact equivalent of 'vorsprung' - 'to leap ahead' comes close.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Vorsprung Durch Technik'?

Vorsprung Durch Technik
This phrase has been used as a strapline in adverts for Audi cars since the 1980s, capitalizing on the German reputation for technical expertise.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I too, only knew him here on the forum, but from way back!
He was friendly, & a great contributor to the hobby!

Very sorry to hear of his passing. His is remembered & missed! 😢

Yes, I too only knew him here on the forum, and yes there are tears in my eyes as I read about him and the work he passed to us.