In need of 26 x 4 wheels (fat tire)

Pretty sure I have the wheel hubs figured out but sourcing rims n tires is another issue. Though about cutting a standard bike rim in half then welding back together with 12g sheet metal. Might work but need some narrow sheet metal 12g or 10g??

wonder what the cost for shipment to the U.S.A would cost? from Germany??

Last edited:
wonder what the cost for shipment to the U.S.A would cost? from Germany??
I put zip code 98030 in to Robs'son webpage and the transport cost was $50 , so 2 x 4" rims, 2 x 4" tires incl. inner tube + transport = $200
There may be some custom duties and vat at your end. Contact Robs'son, it's a small family run company, they replied to my email in english and are very helpful.

My rims on the picture are 65mm wide and the tyre is Schwalbe fat frank 26 x 2.35 from SJS cycles and fitted they are around 3" wide

Just need to get hold of some spokes and try to avoid to scratch the alloy when I fit them.

I found on Ebay a place called childhood dreams for spokes. I'm thinking $32? for 72 spokes.

i found

thanks Ed only issue is the price plus I only want bare rims w/o spokes.
Still thinking of fabing my own using sheet metal and cutting a rim in half.

I have eighteen (alloy) 26" wheels. You can have 4 of them.
If interested, I will pick out 4 good ones, and send you a photo of them.
Let me know.

Also, if you are using a standard size hub, why are you buying more spokes?

alloy rims so I would need to use screws to join them together to produce a wide 4 inch rim.
I considered going with the double wheels but not sure if the steering would be affected with two different turning radius on same axle. The center of the two wheels may affect this too much. For sure two wheels "duealy style" on front of a trike would look really "mean " and demand respect as it rambles through the jungle of the city streets.
As for joining two rims to make one wide wheel with two inner tubes per wheel would be a plus for durability.
As for spokes, I need to fabricate the two hubs for 3/4" axles so new spokes are needed, besides looking at going 48 spoke wheels. IMO they look "knarly n mean" and make a statement " look out road, here I am"

alloy rims so I would need to use screws to join them together to produce a wide 4 inch rim.
I considered going with the double wheels but not sure if the steering would be affected with two different turning radius on same axle. The center of the two wheels may affect this too much. For sure two wheels "duealy style" on front of a trike would look really "mean " and demand respect as it rambles through the jungle of the city streets.
As for joining two rims to make one wide wheel with two inner tubes per wheel would be a plus for durability.
As for spokes, I need to fabricate the two hubs for 3/4" axles so new spokes are needed, besides looking at going 48 spoke wheels. IMO they look "knarly n mean" and make a statement " look out road, here I am"
OK, got me wondering. Exactly what will this/these rims/wheels, be used on? Delta style? Tadpole style?

OK to buy new spokes, but! If you use a mock up, adjustable hub, you are able to determine what width the new hub has, or can be.
All my hubs are made for 3/4 axles. I chose the spokes that I thought were the length that looked appropriate for what look I was after.
With that in mind, I made adjustable hubs with mock up flanges, made out of 1/8 hardboard. Again to verify what I wanted the end result to be.

Except for buying replacement spokes for a size I didn't have, (remember your offer ?), I have used only donor spokes.

Anyway. Maybe I missed it, but what do you plan on using these 26 x 4 on?
My offer will include spokes and hubs as well...if you want.

I am hoping to build a tadpole trike that has 26 x 4 fat tires all around. Thus I need to fab my own hubs for 3/4" axles and be wide enough for the 26 x 4 rims.
Not about to shell out $75 per hub from Utah trikes.

Well I got the fat tire rims (26 x 4) now to cobbling together the hubs. May need to purchase new spokes as the spoke flanges on existing wheels are to small for a 3/4 inch ID bearing to fit.