Hydroponic farming?

I was born while we lived on my grandfathers 300 acre dairy farm, in Vermont.
We lived there and in a separate house about a 1/4 mile away.

When my grandfather sold the farm, they moved 'down the hill' same 1/4 mile away, but on the other side of the road.

Anyway, while staying there for awhile, I had the opportunity to visit a hydroponic farm, that was across the road.
Very interesting way of growing vegetables.

Just curious, Brad
Are you, or have you thought of, or are doing this method of living off the land?
Is it even feasible for your situation?

Last edited:
I was born while we lived on my grandfathers 300 acre dairy farm, in Vermont.
We lived there and in a separate house about a 1/4 mile away.

When my grandfather sold the farm, they moved 'down the hill' same 1/4 mile away, but on the other side of the road.

Anyway, while staying there for awhile, I had the opportunity to visit a hydroponic farm, that was across the road.
Very interesting way of growing vegetables.

Just curious
Are you, or have you thought of, or are doing this method of living off the land?
Is it even feasible for your situation?
Hydroponics is a very productive method of growing a certain herb-plant with alleged medicinal properties; I am told. ;)
I have no time for the stuff myself but Hydroponic cultivation is a key method of many of the producers.

KoolKat

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.ATOMICZOMBIE.com
I've been taking courses on hydroponics and aquaponics and it's a real possibility. However, in our harsh winters we need to have at least two back ups for power outages to keep pumps and heaters going. I'm designing a greenhouse right now and aquaponics is part of the design so we can raise fish and grow veggies, herbs and fruit using the natural fish waste.

KoolKat

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.ATOMICZOMBIE.com
Hydroponics is a very productive method of growing a certain herb-plant with alleged medicinal properties; I am told. ;)
I have no time for the stuff myself but Hydroponic cultivation is a key method of many of the producers.
Yes, and we can grow some of that herb here legally now!

Yes, and we can grow some of that herb here legally now!
For people with the space and the ingenuity, I can imagine that being a good "cash-crop" TBH.

KoolKat

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.ATOMICZOMBIE.com
For personal use, only 4 plants per household and only consumed on that property. The federal government has strict regulations on licensing. I'd rather grow veggies and fish for our own use. Keep it simple.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
You should see the impossible plants Kat has growing in the kitchen window!
Perhaps she will post them soon. I call them Zombie plants since they defy logic, you will see why.

Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Ok, I went and took a photo.
What I find strange is that she adds nothing but water, and these have been producing since mid winter! They have been grown and cut and they just keep coming back, like Zombie plants! Defies everything I know about plants and their requirement for actual nutrients!

These all started off as cuttings from store veggies!
The onions on the left were maybe half an inch tall 4 months ago!
On the other window are Zombie potatoes in a glass, now growing new eyes.

Brad

That's amazing !

Must be 'something' in that water.

Looking out at what I guess is your garden, reminds me of the garden my grandfather maintained, back on the farm.
It appears to be about the same size.

My grandmother ran a small 'bed and breakfast', during the summer months. The guests were fed their veggies from that garden as well.
As a child I loved going through that garden, looking for that just right tomato, and my favorite, the peas right out of the pod.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Out in the back are 40 raised beds, each 16 foot by 4 foot, made of 2x12 lumber.
There is also a 300 foot by 100 foot field (still turning it over) and a few other sections for growing.
It's a LOT of dirt to move, that's why I am heading back outside to continue work on The Yard Mule!

Brad

I know diddly about hydroponics except that a local hydroponics shop run by a couple of old hippies also do co2 refills. God only knows what you use co2 for in growing plants but it's useful for my welder. They must think I'm some sort of mega grower when I bring in two pub sized cylinders for a refill.