Hula Hoe vs Shov-a-hoe

When you have a weeding problem as big as ours, the tendency is to turn to the trusty Hula Hoe. It's been around for years.

It does a great job most of the time. But for me, it strains body parts, that don't need straining anymore.
The back and forth movement, limits how long I can use it.

Enter the 'Shov-a-Hoe'. I made this tool a few years ago. It worked much better, and there wasn't the strain, on my tender body parts.
Using a shovel to cut weeds is not new. But I was always having to deal with a lot of dirt on the shovel, which made it heavier than necessary.

So I cut out the center portion of an old shovel I had. Sharpened the remaining 'blade' to pointed teeth.
The blade works well to cut the weeds, while most of the dirt, goes through the shovel.
A plus with this 'prototype' is, it still works much like a shovel, and can be used to pick up most of the larger bulk weeds.
Something that can't be done with a Hula Hoe.
When picking up a pile of weeds, a lot, if not most of the dirt falls to the ground.

Voila, most of the problem of strain and dirt, seemed to be solved. It only had limited use, as the weed problem wasn't as severe as this year.
However as time working with the Shov-a-Hoe added up, the strained body parts returned, though much less.

I started using it this season, with the thought of improving it, where needed.
The first idea was to adapt a similar handle method, to the wheeled hoe's I found online.

I reasoned that, I was using the handle of a shovel, and not as a weed cutting tool. I decided that the wheeled hoes,
might be the answer, as they seemed to use bicycle handle bars or similar.
I was in luck. I just happen to have an excess number of bicycle parts.

While using the standard shovel handle, I needed to force the shovel into the weeds hard at times, to get it to cut the weeds.
Doing this meant, pushing on the very end of the handle, which by the end of the work day, left me with a very sore palm.
And it also caused a twisting of the body, and you guessed it, straining that very delicate body part again.

The end of the handle was to large to slide the goose neck over, so a bit of amputation, (about 5 inches), solved that problem

The handle still tappers, just a might, so a retaining screw was used to keep the goose neck in place.

Final analysis of this remarkable new tool, is that it works better, and faster than a Hula Hoe.
Using the handle bar set up, places virtually no strain on those lower body parts.
The handle also worked to lessen the amount of effort needed, to cut those hard stubborn weeds.
Doesn't work well in rocky terrain.

Its been quite some time since I was throwing 50-60 lb boxes around, or carting 400 lbs around on a handcart.
So I have been reintroduced to muscles, that haven't had to work much, since I retired.

I worked this new tool, all of what you see in the photos, ( about 3 hours) just today.
I used virtually all upper body muscles, arms, neck and upper back.
I expect to be a bit sore tomorrow. But I didn't strain or hurt those tender body parts.

I think this new tool is a keeper.

Anybody seen the 'horse liniment'?

Last edited:
Banglen, Thailand and a little bit Reading, UK
.....nice one Ed.

I'm on vacation here in Blighty for a few weeks, and doing battle with dandelions at my mum's house. Borrowed a gadget from my brother, which works a treat with yanking them out, but it seems like a never ending chore. I'm beginning to think the buggers dive down when they see me coming, then pop out later. Got a huge pile of them now in the corner of the garden, hope they don't wriggle free and get growing again.....:oops:

.....nice one Ed.

I'm on vacation here in Blighty for a few weeks, and doing battle with dandelions at my mum's house. Borrowed a gadget from my brother, which works a treat with yanking them out, but it seems like a never ending chore. I'm beginning to think the buggers dive down when they see me coming, then pop out later. Got a huge pile of them now in the corner of the garden, hope they don't wriggle free and get growing again.....:oops:
What sort of 'gadget' ?
My better half keeps wanting to pull them out by the roots. But in our dry hard soil, most of them just break off anyway. In the looser or sandy soil we can do that, but its back breaking work, and takes ...FOREVER ! I will be more diligent about weed killer from now on.

Also, I'm doing better than expected, this morning. No noticeable soreness.

Banglen, Thailand and a little bit Reading, UK
Here it is Ed:

The stainless jaws go in fairly deep, and most of the root comes up, but a lot do snap off. I'm not a dandelionologist by any means, but a squirt of weed killer after extraction ought to do the trick. I'm out there each day now nabbing a few dozen, and numbers are slowly dwindling I think........

Here it is Ed:

The stainless jaws go in fairly deep, and most of the root comes up, but a lot do snap off. I'm not a dandelionologist by any means, but a squirt of weed killer after extraction ought to do the trick. I'm out there each day now nabbing a few dozen, and numbers are slowly dwindling I think........
Thanks Frank

I am familiar with that product brand. I have some cutting tools from them.
I'll check it out locally.

I have a 'Quackgrass' problem in my backyard lawn area. This tool may very well be the ticket

Last edited:

graucho

Super Moderator
Sarona, Wisconsin / Apache Junction, Arizona
Cool... That is using your head Ed!
I'm a big fan of cancer causing "roundup" on a calm day. The wife hates it, but I don't see her out there pulling any weeds. Maybe I'll make her one of your inventions and see if that motivates her.

Cool... That is using your head Ed!
I'm a big fan of cancer causing "roundup" on a calm day. The wife hates it, but I don't see her out there pulling any weeds. Maybe I'll make her one of your inventions and see if that motivates her.
For what little to none, that I use RoundUp, I'm not worried. Same logic I use when welding galvanized tubing. I just clean the area to be welded, and what little I may miss, is no big concern...for me. I just don't inhale..:D

This year I got behind, and with the rains, it made the weeds much worse.
I was out front using the shovel, when the yard cleaning guys stopped. They saw what I was using and asked about it. A little demonstration, and hands on.

One of the guys, liked it so much, he asked if I would make him one. I said sure, just bring a shovel, and I will do the rest.

Not sure if he fully understood how it is best used. Used correctly, it is a labor saver. Used incorrectly, then there really isn't much benefit. He had tried mine previously. I watched as he tried his. But, he quickly went back to whacking away, with another shovel.

Anyway, he seemed pleased with his new tool. I'll look to see if it's on the trailer, the next time he comes. I'm having some over grown evergreen bushes that need taking out, next.