How many Homesteaders / Farmers / Self Sustainers here??

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Just curious since this year the most popular plans is this one...

An in the other top 5 along with Warrior is this one...

I knew the Farm DIY would be experimental here, but I had no idea it would become the most popular of the plans.
The PortaPen beats out the Warrior by 2:1 since I put it online, and for video views, it kills it 1000:1 everywhere.
One of the early vids hit 1 million+ views in a month, while the Warrior hit only 200k after 10 years!

Brad

Perhaps you should start a new site called homesteadingzombie or similar alongside this one to promote them further. A site with a more indicative name may help generate more interest again. Also how about a smaller, simpler cheaper dumper for those not needing such size, complexity or expense, perhaps a front tipper? No expensive electrics and just VERY low gearing to move it. People interested in one design may buy both before deciding which to build. Or what about one based on a petrol scooter or Honda C90. An old moped may be cheaper than electrics. Or what bout a dumping trailer pullable by whatever you have already. Is it feasible to mount a power take off on the dumper? Just like the old Land Rovers that could power many things.

Last edited:
We're out in the tall timber ... one acre 15km from town.

I bought the Yard Mule plans as a future investment but haven't started parts-collecting or building yet. We won't get the use from it that you obviously do, but it will still be handy especially if petrol becomes more of an issue in future.

Neville's handy hint for agrarian types: look out for cheap second hand glass shower doors. Ideal size for making a glasshouse etc and much cheaper than buying the glass new - also it's safety glass.