How can I achieve this steering ?

Hi all

Anyone come up with an easy way to achieve this ?

Almost 180' steering , very impressive.

Paul

Last edited:
I too would think a bevel gear set-up best. An alternative would be a uj on the top of the head tube and another on the end of the steering column with a short shaft between, splitting the angle of both of them. Just using one uj at such an angle would likely equal heavy steering.

Maddox/Popshot

Yes I prefer either bevel gears or U/J's , yes it will I U/j for bevel gears or at least 2 U/J's if no bevels.

Also I want a 1:1 ratio as I want brakes and a gear change on my steering wheel !

So I could by 2 of those and just use the bigger gears , are they a robotic's item Maddox ?

Do either of you have a source of good small U/J's ? I understand some of them have unacceptable flop in the implementation ?

Paul

Stormbird, Jan is the owner of Atelier Vilvoorde. A makerspace. Enough space and the right tools.

The bevel gears I linked are just affordable steel gears with a gear ratio of 2-1. These are used in several applications, the seller tought I was going to use then for a CNC mill, to mount the steppers on a 90° on the ballspindles.

What reminds me, I do have 2 sets mod 2 without purpose.

On universal joints, the easiest are the ones in ratched sets. the 1/2" is more than strong enough. But yes, they will have some slack.

On universal joints, the easiest are the ones in ratched sets. the 1/2" is more than strong enough. But yes, they will have some slack.
I was thinking of a ready made double ? like this :-Double U/J

Paul

The UJ type of jointed socket that is used with a 3/8th " rattle-gun are the most likely to work well as they are built to be incredibly robust.
Yes, they have some slop (measurable) but remember your wheel should always be self centring on its caster angle and the steering input is usually firmly in one direction at any given moment.
I have one here, and I will see how much slop it has at a 16" diameter steering wheel (Side to side).

I have one here, and I will see how much slop it has at a 16" diameter steering wheel (Side to side).
Measuring done and the slop is 15mm (0.59") at a distance of 20cm (8") :)
So as that is the total slop it is 1/4" in either direction so the wheel could shimmy left & right a little. But you could counter that with a steering centring spring.

Dan

Thanks for measuring that.

The one I posted was of interest as the socket ends come in M10 , I assumed then the steering could be with a Mao tube held with a grub screw ?

Paul

ps I don't do gun's ? so won't have a ' rattle gun' ?

I wouldn't use the socket set type because of that slop. I'd look for something from a car steering system and shorten to suit. The ujs themselves will be of far higher quality

Or how about one with a crumple zone?

Dan

Thanks for measuring that.

The one I posted was of interest as the socket ends come in M10 , I assumed then the steering could be with a Mao tube held with a grub screw ?

Paul

ps I don't do gun's ? so won't have a ' rattle gun' ?
Rattle-gun = Cordless impact driver. ;)

Do you definitely need UJs? If the trike is just for you, the steering column doesn't need adjustment, and then you can go straight to the bevel gears right.. if they come in various angles..?
Or, a worm gear on the steering column can work at any angle to a vertical gear and then have that connect to the horizontal gear.
Cool trike though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use the socket set type because of that slop. I'd look for something from a car steering system and shorten to suit. The ujs themselves will be of far higher quality
Yes definitely better quality with roller bearings etc , however that comes at a price ? they are very big and heavy and attach to large diameter tubing ?

Maybe over kill for a pedaled trike ?

Paul

Do you definitely need UJs? If the trike is just for you, the steering column doesn't need adjustment, and then you can go straight to the bevel gears right.. if they come in various angles..?
There is a possibility I may need to hinge steering upwards for access to the seat.

Or, a worm gear on the steering column can work at any angle to a vertical gear and then have that connect to the horizontal gear.
s

I see gears as needing maybe a level of precision I will struggle to meet ? and have backlash anyway ?

Cool trike though.
I think it has some questionable ' features ' ?

See steering and braking

I would not like to ride it with back pedal brakes and no levers on the bars ?

Swinging seat ?

Paul

We are all used to 1:1 steering with no "play" in it, so I guess that's what would be preferable.
Within reason the steering column could be rigidly fixed but telescopic to allow entry/exit?
After all F1 drivers hit a button and pull the whole steering wheel off the vehicle, and if its good enough for them....... ;)

Also, not a big deal to adopt the idea to underseat steering.

Of course, to get the wheel at 90° we"ll need some kind of gearing. But that can be done with a small chain setup. (of a long one replacing the connecting rod)