High Roller: Is this donor fork suitable?

It's been years since I purchased my High Roller plans, but I think I'm ready to build. I have two donor bikes, but they both have a front fork that is a little different from the one shown in the plans. The forks don't curve in at the top to be welded to the steering tube. Instead, they look like the photo.

Will I be able to use this donor fork for the back wheel? If so, are there any changes or other concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks.

David in Michigan

That type is called "lugged". The smaller tube is brazed into the larger lug. Usually the fork itself may be quite thin on such a set-up. I'd suggest it's likely to be weaker than a fully welded one off a mountain bike and would look for such a one for the job, particularly if you're less than svelte.

Thanks for your reply. I'll see what I can find. So, the term for the other kind is "fully welded"? Does it go by any other name?

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
You will want the type of forks that have the round welded to the stem as shown here...

Since the vintage set you have are brazed, welding may weaken or separate them. The fork legs are just pressed into the crown and brazed. The other parts on that frame are the same such as the headtube and bottom bracket. That 1970's oldie may be better of as a retro restore!

Brad

Brad, thanks for the explanation and the link to the tutorial. It's a little frustrating, finally getting this close and then discovering my donor bike is not suitable, but I'm sure I'll find what I need. I wanted to use 26" wheels from a road bike, but maybe I'll rethink that depending on what's available.

Thanks again.

Just to complete the thread, I found suitable donor bikes on Craigslist. Now, time to reread the plans carefully before I start cutting.

Thanks again for the advice.