Hi, newbie, a little about me and why I gotta get one made!

Twinkle

Super Moderator
This was one of the more ambitious projects a folding e-trike with USS , discs and retaining a Streetfox style firm seat . By curving the cross boom and cut and shutting the main boom a much lower trike can be built , the next problems arise when the trike becomes too low to manoevre over side walk ramps etc.
Regards Emma

I just want something simple, we’re on a limited income and people around here won’t sell their bikes unless they get a pretty penny! Even if there junk!
JR

I just found an add for a welder so I called him and I ran the idea over him, explaining it’s just a few joints, and he’s like can you bring it to me, no we’re disabled, then he jumps in and say well that’s going to be your first problem, if I gotta bring equipment to you it’s going to be expensive! Oh ok, and he hung up the phone!

Twinkle

Super Moderator
These trikes were designed for DIY enthusiasts to build themselves . Most of us on the forum learned how to weld as part of the building experience , together with wheel building and other skills . Once you employ a third party to build one of these trikes you will find it very expensive. Unless you have a friend or neighbour with an interest ( and may be interested in building his own) you will find the cost more than buying a second hand ready built.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I just found an add for a welder so I called him and I ran the idea over him, explaining it’s just a few joints, and he’s like can you bring it to me, no we’re disabled, then he jumps in and say well that’s going to be your first problem, if I gotta bring equipment to you it’s going to be expensive! Oh ok, and he hung up the phone!
Maybe, if you canvassed the neighbours, you might find someone who is prepared to help you along or, better still, join with you and make their own as well? They could then join you on rides.

Sorry the plans were never designed for brazing most of the joints are butt joints and these cannot be brazed with sufficient strength for a safe trike

Buy a 2nd-hand welder and get stuck in. I weld sitting down mostly. If I take my finger off the button, welding stops. Very little risk involved.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
What about brazing?
I took a college class in it when I first got into this hobby. Bought the torch, tanks & all! Although as
Stormbird said,
you can't braze your frames together, it does come in handy for little things like cable stops.
I brazed quite of few of them on, & it makes for a very nice, professional-looking, finishing touch, IMO. :)

I’m never going anywhere with this project, every time I come up with something to help me out I just get shut down, so brazing is not strong enough but bamboo and two part epoxy is.
JR

Of course it is not as simple as needing a welder or welder , you also need a couple of angle grinders a drill press is nice or at least a sturdy electric drill then there are the drills themselves and files etc the welder has consumables like wire and gas ?

How are you going to get these without a car ?

What is your skill set ?

There are examples on the net of wooden trikes and bolt together trikes.

I do think you should consider a delta trike , it is far easier to figure out how to drive 1 rear wheel than it is set up tadpole steering to work correctly especially without welding stuff ?

Think the best thing to do is buy a secondhand trike , if you only want one it is probably better value in the long run , a cobbled together first attempt at welding etc probably has little re-sale value ?

regards Paul

I have tools, I used to be a plumber / handyman, just not a welder, well I did as a hobby way back in the day before my father-in-law passed cause we worked on old cars, just things get taken from you after you have an accident and can’t do anything, we’re on a very low income, she finally got a break with a friend and I’m stuck here in a chair and I can’t do a thing till she gets home, but I’m nice she needs a break! But to get a trike around here forget it, your not touching one for under $800 used!

I have tools, I used to be a plumber / handyman, just not a welder, well I did as a hobby way back in the day before my father-in-law passed cause we worked on old cars, But to get a trike around here forget it, your not touching one for under $800 used!
We are as frustrated as you are , whilst try to guide you most of the people on here would also offer to do the welding for you if you lived closer.

Does your wife's trike looks like this ?

There is a style of recumbent called MBB [ moving bottom bracket ] basically you widen the front fork for a rear wheel and attach some pedals to the front , a lot of these are DIY bolt on projects.

I wondered if the pedals were removed and the seat post and stays were removed you could sit in the gap ?

This is purely speculation as I don't have one of these trikes to see ?

Something like this ?

thinking out of the box

or this ?

continue searching the web , most of that time is not wasted !

http://tribolttrike.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_21.html

Paul

Last edited:
Yeah that’s close to the Mrs trike, but I can’t ride that, the seat is way too high, I mean heck I can ride a bike, I’ve been riding them since I’ve been like 4, but the seats on those simple trikes are the same height of a bike, and if I have a seizure I’m going for a good over the side crash, unlike a recumbent, I’m low and plan on putting some seatbelt on it so I won’t go over the side, let along with some type of simple hand break, every time I have a seizure I’m out of it and the one arm pulls, so if I put a spring loaded break that’s held from breaking with like a hairpin that was attached to my hand by a string, just something simple, that would give the wife enough time for the wife to get over to me and keep me out of harms way,
JR

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Wow, TMP, sounds like you're up against some obstacles alright. Don't give up hope though.
There has to be a way. Where do you live, if you don't mind. Just wondering if by chance anyone
here is close enough to help out in any way. Believe it or not, I've actually gotten to meet a couple
of folks on here IN PERSON! Thrilling, it was! :D(y)