Hi, newbie, a little about me and why I gotta get one made!

Yeah that’s close to the Mrs trike, but I can’t ride that, the seat is way too high, I mean heck I can ride a bike, JR
Did you read what I put ?

I suggested there maybe a way of converting one of those into a delta recumbent ?

regards Paul

Twinkle

Super Moderator
I looked at converting one into a lwb delta by removing the frame between the rear end and the head tube and replacing with a 40mm 16swg tube . Still about 2ft of welding and there lies a problem.
Berlin recumbent iirc built a complete wooden trike from scratch , standard wood with g/f covered hemp.
We are not trying to pit the downers on your build , but if you cannot built it yourself, can't find anyone to help or can't afford a s/h one , l feel you are rather stuffed.
I have built about 3 frames for people who needed help but l am only 3600 miles away from you .
The last one after virtually doing it for free the guy sold it for a good profit without even sitting on it.

If I had to take one of hers apart and still weld it would be cheaper to just get one of those Mobo trikes,
That’s just wrong, someone gives you something to help you out then just sells it, that’s b/s! I’ve given a lot of things away helping people and keep getting screwed, thus why the wife and I really don’t have any friends cause We keep getting screwed! And any time someone gives us something we feel so bad because normally we’d be the ones giving, just after my accident we fell on the other side of the fence,
JR

But to get a trike around here forget it, your not touching one for under $800 used!
If you have to pay a welder I doubt you'd build one cheaper than that. Welding with a mig is fairly easy to learn and fun to do. Your chances of cutting all the bits perfectly to be able to weld it all in one go are slim to be polite about it. Aligning the various parts easily takes as long as welding them. It's much easier to cut and weld as you make the individual parts or sub assemblies which also makes employing a welder much more expensive.

so brazing is not strong enough but bamboo and two part epoxy is
Brazing is plenty strong enough in a lugged style joint. The plans use butted joints which require welding. You could modify the designs to utilise lug joints but to make them you'd need a welder anyway making the whole process pointless. Bamboo is immensely strong and more to the point has a certain give to it like steel does. It's kind of like natures carbon fibre but with the benefit of being usable in beam positions too unlike carbon fibre as it has that give. Modern glues are good enough to hold various car chassis together such as the Lotus Elise and are proven stronger than welding. Again though not suitable for a butt joint.

Last edited:
I must say those two designs I like! The one you can say I’m not too thrilled on the seat, it’s a recumbent, so it would have to be a Adirondack chair which I have three of.. the other is really nice pretty much a perfect build, and when it said about the scooters it had me thinking, but I just couldn’t see the steering on that setup, not to much info, I’ll have to see if I can find any more,
JR

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Like I said earlier, there HAS to be a way!
Maybe not perfect, maybe not quite what you were hoping for, but still... :)

sometimes an area vocational / technical school with a welding program will take on outside projects for little money

Maybe if I ask the kid he’ll know if any of the schools do welding, I know the one does carpentry, cause well he took it, the next year he was going to do auto, so maybe, school doesn’t start for another 3weeks either, so maybe..
JR

By the way in 83 I was only 4 and my mother made me always have that freaking ugly Beatles haircut, that was until one day I wanted a Mohawk and the mother couldn’t stand it, so I had to have everything buzzed off, which made the grandfather happy being a ww2 vet, but next came the mullet, lol but I can’t stand hair, it’s gotta stay buzzed sometimes shaved..
JR