Hi folks

Hi. Thanks for approval to join. I'm daz from Derbyshire,England. Great site with a lot of knowledge. I'm hoping to build myself a recumbent trike as my disability means balance and a standard bicycle are not possible. Take care and ride safe.

Hi Bub2006,
If you can weld then a set of plans and some steel and some junked bikes and a recumbent can be yours at a really affordable price.
Its what we do around here.
Welcome to the insanity of repetitive bike-building fun.

Sounds a fun place. I can wave a sparkly stick about and make the magic pixies hold metal together to a small degree. Last used a welder in anger around 10 years ago though so I can practice!

Ok questions ?

where in Derbyshire ?

have you ridden a recumbent trike ?

which do you fancy building ?

where do you plan to ride

regards Paul

Good evening Paul. I'm in somercotes just outside of alfreton. Haven't ridden a recumbent properly yet but I plan to soon!
Unsure on the plans of building yet,kind of making things up as I go along. Odd way of doing it but it's how my mind works! My places to cycle will mainly be flat around Derby city cycle paths down the river at first to get my courage up and used to the cycle. I will in time like to look into e assist for hills as that will allow me to go further without struggling. Thanks.

Ok where to start ?

There are several bicycle mobility centres around the UK that sell recumbent's IIRC nearest are Swadlincote and York

To a man they will recommend a Hase Kettwiesel:-

For you and your riding environment it has 3 major advantages.

1. Seat height is approximately 14" - so easier to get on and off
  2. as there is no cross boom or 2 wheels to get in the way - it is easier to get on and off [ Tadpole ]
  3. incredible turning circle - needed if you cycle around UK paths/pavements
these are tricky to get through on a tadpole trike due to lack of turning circle and huge amount of clutter they put inside them !

I owned a Kett for many years and then built the Python in front of it here , seriously low seat @ 8" !

If you have an inside leg about 30" + you can come and try the Python ?

Your best first move is to buy Brads second book :-

Evil Genius bikes & scooters

This has abridge versions of both the Streefox & Deltawolf plans plus stuff on electric bikes.

all the best Paul

Your home made bike is something I like the look of and have ideas of making something similar but I've had concerns about how the steering and pedalling will work? Is it still easy enough to pedal while turning? Due to my disability I would be aiming to make something a bit higher for ease of entry and egress but it's just a lot of plans firing in my head at the moment! Are you relatively local to me then? I'm originally from Sutton in ashfield so I've not moved far! Thanks

There are handlebars , however it has a opposite effect ?

It is very easy to steer with your feet , so you can have both hands free to eat , take pictures , look at maps etc etc

Mansfield ?