Going for my second build.

The more you plan ahead, the less you have to change along the way.
Yes and that is why I am now thinking of what to do and making a 3D model.
I will contact this or next week someone i know for bike parts. See what he all has ad the moment.
This time i will also put those things in 3d also.
As i have the model, i can gett all the files and let some parts be made. Than it's just a puzzle that you put togheter.

First decision is made. 20inch all around.

Rear suspension is something is an other story. I don't know if i need it out here. We have good roads that are in most cases very smooth.
Also from what I noticed, I had most problems with the front. The rear less because I slow down as I see a bumb. On more bumpy roads, I noticed that lowering the pressure in my tires works good.
But as someone has experience with rear suspension, than I would love to hear how it compares to no suspension.

Edit:First decision ia already not surten enymore.
I wanted 20inch for shorter wheelbase, lower weight, less friction and I only need 20inch inner tubes for spare.
But 20inch makes that you feel more of the bumbs in the road than a 26 or 700c wheel. They ride smoother.
I don't feel the need for a rear suspension with 26inch out here. With 20inch I think I can do without, but feel more bumbs and the ride will be less pleasant.

Luckily it will take a some time before I start building, so I have enough time to make up my mind. 😁

Last edited:
You could go for a 20" fat tyre at the back. The big fattie will absorb a lot of bumps. Downside will be the weight of it.

Yes but I wanted all 3 the same.
Probably rear suspension as I go for 20 and no suspension as I go for 26 or 700c.

I go and ride a bit more now. Very nice weather to ride today.

I was still designing a race Trike, while I have one and want one for touring.
So I changed how I looked ad it and now I am first going to see if I can get the parts that I need.
I go gor rear suspension as I can get the parts I want and need. If so, than it will be 20inch in the rear, if not than 26 or 700c.

So I am contacting someone this week or next week for parts. With the parts I can work on the design. That's easier than finding parts for a design.

I am now looking ad the front wheels. Is an axle of 12mm enough? I have found this right wheel and left wheel but it has a 12mm axle.
They say that it is for a trike, but i have now 20mm axle. Maybe a bit to much but as 12 is enough, than i will look ad those wheels or get the hub set with the axles and ad the rest from someone else.
It is more expensive than as i go for the same as I have now, but i like this more and I am willing to spend more money on my second build. Maiby i use parts from my current trike on my new build and get other cheaper parts for that one to save some money.

The Sturmey Archer single sided drum hubs use 12mm. Danny has just managed to bend one though not in regular use. At least I hope crashing is not his regular use.

The Sturmey Archer single sided drum hubs use 12mm. Danny has just managed to bend one though not in regular use. At least I hope crashing is not his regular use.
Hahaha no I hope not to crash.
I think that it is good for a touring Trike and if needed I can always get new parts.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I didn't want yo, but it is happening. I am going to build a second Trike.
This hobby is addicting. Riding and building.
Tell me about it! Back when it happened to me, I ended up building something like 2 DOZEN different ones, of all configurations,
regular recumbent bikes, lowracers, tadpoles, SWB delta, LWB delta, SWB quadcycle, LWB quadcycle, weird ones, & MORE!
Had I not lost my shop & most of my tools, I would, without a doubt, STILL be at it! I STILL long to build more!!! Yep, I had it BAD!!!

Tell me about it! Back when it happened to me, I ended up building something like 2 DOZEN different ones, of all configurations,
regular recumbent bikes, lowracers, tadpoles, SWB delta, LWB delta, SWB quadcycle, LWB quadcycle, weird ones, & MORE!
Had I not lost my shop & most of my tools, I would, without a doubt, STILL be at it! I STILL long to build more!!! Yep, I had it BAD!!!

O wow you where far away. 😉

I found an other diy bike addict yesterday on YouTube and the funny thing is, he lives very close to me. Same city.

It's even getting worse now.
I found out that there is an other bike builder living near me.
We are going to ride together, Wednesday evening.
It is so great to know that there is someone else that has a similar hobby.
It is also great that I now have someone to ride with. He also knows many routes in the area, because he is riding for several years now.

Getting slowly more parts.
I got today my rear of the trike.
Better than I can make myself and way lighter.
Comes with mounting for v brakes and disk brakes.

Now I have my seat and rear part.
Ordering soon the wheels.
But first I put the rear in cad, so I can design the front part.
I will post later some images.

My rear part of the trike.

I can use disk brake and v-brake on this.
It is light and my current design is ad the moment about 2kilo lighter than my current frame.

I looked ad the parts I want to use, and the new frame, will be lighter. The seat is lighter and so will the mounting of the front wheels and all 3 the wheels will also be lighter.

It will get underseet steering. Adjustable seat angle and position.
This frame will be faster than my current frame because of weight and tires I will use.
Only thing where I am still thinking of, is if I will ad a luggage carrier ad the back. If do, than I will probably make it removable.
I am thinking of adding side bags.

Going to make my own batteries and therefore I can make them in any shape I want and have therefore more options to place them on the frame.

Also upgrading the front brakes. Better ones than I have now. They work good, but I want a bit more breaking power. This because I remove the speed limiter on my e-assist and the extra weight of the batteries.

I will post soon my frame design of everything in front of the rear part. Not going yo make a model of that. I made a sketch with the mounting places to know where it would sit.

This is an image of what color combo I want to use.
Celeste plus black.

It looks different.
It will be powder coated this time. Maby rear in black and only the front part of the frame in Celeste.

That looks very good Emiel.
When designing your underseat steering, I would strongly recommend the use of Peter Eland's excellent steering geometry spreadsheet.
On the braking front, hydraulic disc brakes are very good but sometimes a bit "fiddly" to set up as all the alignments need to be pretty perfect in the first instance.
I have cheap Clark hydraulic Brakes on both of my tadpoles and they are very sharp indeed.
Best wishes for your new build.

That looks very good Emiel.
When designing your underseat steering, I would strongly recommend the use of Peter Eland's excellent steering geometry spreadsheet.
On the braking front, hydraulic disc brakes are very good but sometimes a bit "fiddly" to set up as all the alignments need to be pretty perfect in the first instance.
I have cheap Clark hydraulic Brakes on both of my tadpoles and they are very sharp indeed.
Best wishes for your new build.
I work with someone else on it. I use his front mounting system and ad the warrior steering to it. He has a lot of experience with it, so he is helping me.
With the breaks, I go from the bb5 to the bb7. Only the rear one is still a bb5.

I am now collecting parts for it and putting everything in a 3D CAD program. Than can I also check the steering.

I am thinking of making it foldable. This do I can take my trike easier with me and because many public transport companies let you than take it with you for free.