Going for my second build.

The rain slows the build, because I work outside.
But I made also some decisions and will leave some things away. This because I don't need them and only ad weight on my build.
There will be no side bag mounts. I will not use the trike to buy my food, so I don't need it.
I will ad a small bag for my keys and wallet.
Also will I leave the side bags away. I was testing it and I didn't like it that they hit my arms. I couldn't place them lower because then they would hit the ground.

Other than those 2 things, the rest will be still added. Mud guards front and rear wheels.
Shorten the front and ad lights.
Also the 2 mounts got the battery.

There will be a trailer mount, so I can pull my trailer or tge camper that I will build. Parts for that will be ordered this comming week. I can build a big part inside, so no problem with the rain.
Also it keeps me bissy.
The sooner I have finished the 2 builds, the faster I can traffel and especially now we finally get more freedom, I want to go out of my home and traffel.

Marked the battery size on a plate that I need to cut. Going yo do that this week and as the weather stays dry, weld the battery mounts on my bike.
Also shorten the front.
After that I start with the fenders and mount the final lights and horn.
Only need to get some mirrors and print a box for my electrical systems and battery switch.
But I want first all the welding be done, do I can take the bike apart and prepare it for a powder coat.

Changed from a 160mm 750lbs rear shock, to a 125mm 550lbs.
Now I am thinking what to do. This week I expect to receive the 150mm 550lbs shock, but the frame with how it sits now, is perfect. Only the chean is now close to the ground. Tested it and normal bumbs are no problem, but I think that the ones that are rounded, will be. I need to check that.
The 550lbs spring is way better.
I only noticed, that I need to change the opening where it is mounted in. It is already tight and that is without the powder coat.
An other thing I need to fix, is the bearing mounts. But I knew that already. Bearings are to tight mounted.

I now need to think what I do. I can move the chain up a bit, but not much. I think it will be enough to get enough clearance, but I think that as I go fast, it will be in some cases, not enough.
Need to test that first.
I can also mount the 150mm as it arrives. It will improve the front and solve the rear.
I think I test it more this week and see what I do.

The spring is a lot better. The ride was even smoother than it was before. I think that with all the tight fits solved and the 550lbs spring, the 150mm will be lower than i measured it now.

Made a change in the solar setup. Only get the mppt booster and get a DC to DC converter. I have one for my trike and I will get one for my camper/trailer. This way I can charge my bike batteries and use them also to power my camper. I will use my spare battery for that.
Found also an address where I can get a 12ah battery for the bike, for 200 euro in the Netherlands. Can always get that if needed.
But I think that how I do it now, it will be enough.

Still a lot of testing and fixing to do.

Emiel

Is it the spring that is longer or the shocker absorber body ? they both come in different lengths

Keep at it , the last 10% always takes 90% of the time...

Paul

It is the body length.
On the 125 also the spring.
But I didn't max it out even with the short traffel it has. For where I use it for, the shock traffel is more than enough.

I can even put the spring from the 150mm on the 160mm. But I think that the 150mm overal is the way to go.

Just ordered the materials for my camper build. That will bge for the wet days. Now the sun is here shining, so i am going to swap out the rear 125mm shock for the 150mm and make some km's. I want to test the trike a bit more. Have now a 44t in the front and shortened the chain.
It seams that that improves the riding and also a bit.
Need to try the rear a bit more to see if the 550lbs is the right one and if the rear is now better, now i tightened it a bit more.

It depends on when my materials arrive, else I will ad the battery mounts this Wednesday and shorten the front.
After that, I only need to ad some 3d printed mounts, smoothen the top of the steering arms and clean the welds and make some holes bigger.
After that the frame can be powder coated.

I did an 1 hour ride today and the trike rides great. What a difference with my first build and what make tires a big difference in cornering. The trike is very stable. It isn't faster, even not with the 350w motor, where I had a 250w on my other trike. But it rides a lot smoother.
Steers direct and the steering doesn't start to shake ad high speeds.
The shifter I use now is so much better than a bar end.
I can go 1 up and 1 to 3 down. The shift sensor stops the motor for a short time, so shifting goes a lot better than without it.
Rear shock is such a difference.
I love to ride my new build. I loved my other trike, but this one is so much better.
I can't wait till it is finished.
I will swap out the break handles for smaller ones and put the cables on the other dude of the grips. Also need a mirror and a small bag for keys and wallet.

I didn't expect such a difference and that all, after I switched to a 44t on the front and shortened the chain and adjusted the shifter.

Only thing I don't know what I would choose next time, is the motor. I don't know what I really prefer, a bafang or a tsdz2. Both have their good and bad things. I think for what I want to do, tgat the bafang is the best. But both motors are good and as they where combined, I think it would be even better.

I did an 1 hour ride today and the trike rides great. What a difference with my first build.
I will swap out the break handles for smaller ones and put the cables on the other dude of the grips.
Big grin time no doubt , great when a plan comes together.

I have done the opposite and fitted some bigger brake levers , they are easier to find in a panic situation and easier to use with gloves on YMMV.

Paul

For me, the ones gor a bike are good. I have now the ones for an off road quad and they are big.
It will mot be those small bmx brakes. Want yo have something to hold on.

Made a short video on my Instagram.
A walk around my trike.

http://instagr.am/p/CPjJ724j1gP/
I realigned the front wheels and tightened the steering. It was a bit loose, do I solved that.

Nice trike , the control arms the levers are fastened on look a bit ' vertical ' ?

Are they comfortable like that ?

Mine look to be less vertical ?

Paul

I have them on my other trike also like that. I like them that way.
On my other trike, I placed my hands on top. That us not possible with this one, so I am adding wrist pads.
But most of the time, I ride with one hand. Goes better with this trike, than with my previous one.

Did a nice ride tonight with a speed on the straights of 29+ km/h.
The motor ads about 6 to 7km speed. I don't ad max assist, only just enough to ride easier.

Tomorrow going to make the battery mounts, shorten the front and do some other small things.
After that, I will get the parts for the fender mounts.
That and sanding are the last things I need to do, before powder coat.

I don't do ANY social media. The odd forum like this is the closest I get.
Hahaha I have Facebook, but it is only because I needed it for my design work I did.
Now I don't use it, I only use Instagram. Easy way to show others what I made and did.

I have let someone else ride my trike to see what he thought of it.
He has an HP velotechnic 20. My trikes rolls better than his and he tried it without and with assist.
So that was good to hear. He tried it also before I switched the rear shock and he agreed that it is an improvement.
Not much tire fibbing in corners and stable in the corner.
So good to hear that someone that ride a good brand trike, is positive about my build.
Gives me confidence that the trike is riding good.

We didn't work on the trike because of the heat. Friday I get my corona vaccination and after that I ride to him and we start working on the trike.
Only need mounting for my fenders.
Rear I order stock ones. Front I make from round 6mm think rvs. 2 on each wheel in the front.
After that, the trije gets some sanding and a pair t job.
So I hope to have it powder coated and ready to ride, by the end of the month.
Same with my camper. Hope to get that also ready by the end of the month.
With my vaccination, I can traffel around in Belgium and Germany a lot easier.