Finishing what John (Sandman) started.

Hi Folks,

I am trying to finish what John began with his second folding frame. His first one (NICOR) is alive and well and providing me with lots of fun.

This one, he had named "LOKI" and while I have now located the Bafang 8-Fun and batteries that John had intended to place on this one; for now I shall keep them in reserve (in the first instance) and I will be building it up as a non-e-assist folding trike.

I have added the rear wheel with a Nuvinci N380 in place of the 48-spoke 7 speed cassette equipped wheel that was on there as a rolling frame.

I suspect that this will be a Winter project as I have NICOR to ride this Summer/Autumn.

That is all.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Nice looking ride so far.
With the original rear triangle used like this, seems it would be easy to just swap that one our for a suspension version.
The jackshaft / crossover makes this super easy.

Brad

Twinkle

Super Moderator
The end of an era the 3 folding frames were a tribute to Johns ingenuity, My Project X was built on the 3rd and final frame designed by John with the fold in the opposite direction and is the only one that folds without the handlebars being moved.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Nice looking ride so far.
With the original rear triangle used like this, seems it would be easy to just swap that one our for a suspension version.
The jackshaft / crossover makes this super easy.

Brad
The design of the rear end would not allow the easy replacement to a swinging unit as the whole triangle is cut and welded to the main boom.

Indeed, she be a hard-tail and very much designed to remain that way.
I could mess with it (of course) but I am ok with it as it is because it folds quite well and is readily transportable in the back of the car.
There are other challenges but I will sort them out as I go along this Autumn/Winter.
I am hoping that my hard work in the Gym will mean that my use of e-assist will be at an absolute minimum and restricted to "get-you-home" only.

Dan

Have you made the left hand crank , or just put a right hand one on the wrong side ?

Interested as I may need one myself ?

Dan

Have you made the left hand crank , or just put a right hand one on the wrong side ?

Interested as I may need one myself ?
Hi Paul,
It is a standard cheap 46T crank with (important(?)) non-hooked teeth. It is just on the wrong side and to prevent precession unwinding any pedals I shall threadlock them in tight.

Dan

They are sold and usually called ' tandem cranks ' as some tandems have a chain going down the left connecting the 2 sets of cranks together.

The other way is to re-drill a normally set as though making them shorter then tapping them with the opposite pedal tap thus reversing them ?

This :- It is just on the wrong side and to prevent precession unwinding any pedals I shall threadlock them in tight.

is not what I expected from the Benfleet Skunk works ?

have the voices stopped again ?

The alternative way is to drill and tap into the side of the crank and use a pointed grub screw to lock the pedal thread ( quadem project )
Also valid Emma. Green Loctite is however "Tool-free" and no drills, taps or grub-screws are required. You sometimes have to "burn" it out it is so strong lol.
I'm not wedded to any particular method, but there is a tube of Green stuff on the shelf here.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Tube of green stuff ehh , roll it, sniff it or use it on the pedals ? I will leave quietly.

We starting to play with the Clarke Mobil today . Mesh seat frame sorted and bar tubing cut . Next step Threadless BB.

Tube of green stuff ehh , roll it, sniff it or use it on the pedals ? I will leave quietly.

We starting to play with the Clarke Mobil today . Mesh seat frame sorted and bar tubing cut . Next step Threadless BB.
Woo-Hoo, that was quick!