A bit more done today. Added a gusset to the steering head and the bracket for the steering rod.
Also greased up the bearings for the handlebar assembly, Nobling had made a bracket for it when it was on the high roller and I liked it so much it's now on the fat delta.
Lastly, I decided to do a bit of painting so the mid drive Bafang motor can get mounted. There will be a bit of work yet for cables, etc but the paint job is rustoleum applied with a brush so any touch ups are super easy. At the moment the underside is not painted
Sigh - another rainy and now also snowy day. Oh well good thing I have a well insulated and heated garage. The jack shaft is installed now. The wire's are not hooked up yet but The mid drive Bafang is installed and between yesterday and today the 2 drive chains are also now installed. I was going to install a derailleur on the right side of the jack shaft but it would have seriously impacted the ground clearance. So for now the chain from the crank set (bafang) goes to the largest sprocket on the right side. I decided to use the largest sprocket on the left side as well and then the only derailleur used will be the stock 7 speed that the fat bike donor came with. It will be easy to change the gearing if needed by just loosening the set screws on the jack shaft and tapping either gear set over a slight bit. The bike will need to be test ridden first though. Next the plywood seat needs to be finished and then painted and also brake and shift cables hooked up. Just in the house for a spot of lunch now and will take the camera with me and grab a couple pictures for later.
Normally i work a bit more slowly but the combination of retirement and cool, wet and snowy days means either I couch surf or head to the garage and lately the garage hold's more interest. Anyway here are the next 3 pictures First one shows the front chain assembly, the second show's the rear drive chain which still need's the shifter cable hooked up and the third has a friend checking out the seating, also the twin headlights.
The mid drive is a 500 watt model so I,m pretty sure if needed and in a lower gear it will move the bike on it's own however I plan to use it more for the assist. I like to pedal, since starting this renewed bicycle journey over 8 years ago the health benefits have been enormous. I specifically bought an e bike when I was still working a post retirement job so I could ride to work and the more it was used the less electric assist power was needed. I still have that bike but took the rear hub motor from it to mount on the Warrior. After 8 years the lithium battery has lost some of it's range etc but still works great for wind and the small hills we have here in Winnipeg. One thing to mention is this lode runner variant is slated to receive some type of a body covering during this winter, that's the main reason this plan was selected. I've adapted 2 different coroplast bodies to the Warrior but neither were pleasing to my eye. The lode runner style offers more choices. Thank's for the inspiration Brad.
It's turkey day for us later today but managed to get a little done. I had to visit the local bike shop yesterday to get a couple brake inner/outer cables and 1 shift inner/outer as well. Got lucky with them because the length was barely enough. Then I forgot the ferules so went back. What I did get done yesterday was weld up some cable guides to aid in routing. For that I use short pieces of auto brake line. It's tricky to weld but manageable. This morning I got the derailleur hooked up and adjusted and the front disc and the left rear disc hooked up and adjusted as well. The right rear disc will be my park brake. The drive wheel was lifted up via a jack stand so I could try pedaling the bike to check the derailleur which at the moment has a 52 tooth sprocket on the mid drive motor. It was okay in the slowest gear once it was put back on the ground but I have ordered a 42 tooth for the motor. Not looking for speed out of this build, just the ability to pedal along at 10 to 12 mph without too much strain.
Well today was the first test ride, just up the back lane a couple times. I must say I,m satisfied with it so far. The tires are only set to 10 psi so it was a nice soft ride. The neighbor took it as well because I wanted to see what it looked like. At that point it dropped the front chain. That will be an easy fix, just loosen the set screws and tap the gear cluster over approx 3/32". The first few ride's will be just up the lane till it get's sorted out, once that is taken care of we will see what type of body looks good.
Well the chain problem was fixed and so it got a better 35 km test ride today. Average speed was approx 16 to 18 kph and one stretch of road on the way home was a steady 22 kph. Of course this was using the assist. Considering this thing was built from scratch it has met and even exceeded my expectations. It's comfortable, and handles better than i ever had hoped for. So now for the final pictures till it gets some type of bodywork. I should have been smiling and inside I was.
Congrats Hugh. There is nothing like that first ride where everything works, or that last ride where recent changes have worked. Makes you want to get out and replace no-longer-required build time with ride time - until you start interfering with it with modifications and add-ons and, oh darn, there's another project.