Ed's 'StreetRunner' Quad Build

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
A flashing blue and red light would probably have legal implications. There are alternatives if you are suggesting that there is a need for others to be warned that he is coming.

Not wishing to rain on your parade but, what is the likelihood that it could be cancelled? Almost everything else is in this relatively isolated neck of the woods.

A flashing blue and red light would probably have legal implications. There are alternatives if you are suggesting that there is a need for others to be warned that he is coming.

Not wishing to rain on your parade but, what is the likelihood that it could be canceled? Almost everything else is in this relatively isolated neck of the woods.
I didn't take it that it was meant for driving on the street. But the thought was aimed more like a funny detail for show only, such as driving in a parade.
Like I could mount a GoPro on top and use it like a periscope/camera.

If you mean canceled because of COVID-19, I think it will be gone by the time I get this finished. At least I hope so.

Stay safe everyone.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
There may be parade restrictions on such flashing lights with all the mass public gathering protection that may be in place. Called critical mass in this country and it requires certain safety measures/approvals that have confined some of our events to history due to being too expensive to run them.

It was Covid-19 to which I was alluding regarding the cancellation. Can't remember when the parade was supposed to be on but I thought it may have been in May or thereabouts.

There may be parade restrictions on such flashing lights with all the mass public gathering protection that may be in place. Called critical mass in this country and it requires certain safety measures/approvals that have confined some of our events to history due to being too expensive to run them.

It was Covid-19 to which I was alluding regarding the cancellation. Can't remember when the parade was supposed to be on but I thought it may have been in May or thereabouts.
Actually I was trying for this coming Christmas parade, sometime in early Dec.

Steering Update

Cut out the hub and got it welded in place including the center cap post, twice!

The hub is solid mount at the moment but is ready for modifying to full tilt, later.

The center cap is salvaged from an old lighting fixture.

Using my C.A.M (Cardboard Aided Mockup), I've narrowed down the lengths for the steering levers.
Steering post link @ 4"
Connecting link @ 8"
'Pitman' arm length @5"

It seems to work just fine, but will have to see what the 'hardcopy' does.

Steering Trial Run

As this is the first time checking it for ease of operation, there are some adjustments to be made.
But if it works on the road, it will be great.
I'm still looking to install a steering column/box with gearing later on.

Last edited:

graucho

Super Moderator
Sarona, Wisconsin / Apache Junction, Arizona
This is flipping amazing as always Ed! There are many people here that I wish were my neighbors. You are one of them. My wife would have to send out a search party of me. Keep on entertaining us brother. Blessings to you and yours.

This is flipping amazing as always Ed! There are many people here that I wish were my neighbors. You are one of them. My wife would have to send out a search party of me. Keep on entertaining us brother. Blessings to you and yours.
DITTO! The house next door may be coming on the market soon...:D
I would soak up everything you were willing to teach me.

does it have ANY camber / caster?
Yes to both.
I know it doesn't look like it in the video, but it's there.
The caster is adjustable. The exact degrees escapes me at the moment. They are posted in the first half of this thread which is locked forever in...'Never-View-Land'. But just for you and as a reminder to me, I will take some measurements and we'll both know, and it will be duly recorded in this new part.

The steering column linkage works, but I'm not going to leave it as is. This is just temporary so I have the ability to move it around easier. I intend to replace this set up with a geared steering box as soon as I find the right one. Which hasn't been easy. Either to big, wrong mounting design, or way too much money. I've been looking at the various golf cart and ATV steering as well as the steering that the Kabota and Cub Cadet tractors use. I also looked at the old school hot rod 'Vega' steering. But it may be too big as well. So, I haven't found what I want yet.

MrIdaho

OK, here's what they measured at, and it has refreshed this old brain.

These measurements were decided on, based on settings normally used in hot rod building and not recumbent bikes. So you may see differences.

Caster
My caster angle is 6 degrees, (positive) But it is adjustable.
Caster angles for my purpose are generally between 2-8 degrees.
Camber
My (kingpin) angle is 4 degrees. Not adjustable.
I'm working with a near-neutral camber.

These are close to what I used on the PVC car.
It handled easily the couple or so times it was moved/driven around.

Last edited:
Steering Update

Although I have the steering in working order, I am not satisfied with the outcome.
I've been searching and searching for more appropriate options. They are either too large physically or too large money wise.

Been looking at the various types as well, such as boat steering mechanisms.
Still not satisfied. I may go back and visit with my golf cartman and re-look at what he has.

In the meantime, I have drawn up another DIY option.
The drawing shows the sprockets directly next to each other but would, in fact, be staggered.
Thus using the current position of the column and pitman arm levers....get it?

Using sprockets from some old cassettes I have, I can make up the mechanism you see in the drawing.
Playing around with the different sizes will get me a comfortable gear ratio as well.
At least that is the theory. I'm thinking somewhere around 5:1.

Last edited:
A Costly Decision

As I said previously, I am not satisfied with my attempt to make a DIY steering.
Although the system works, it really is not befitting the necessary quality this project requires or I wish to display to anyone.
As much as I want to make it myself, the end product/method just doesn't justify the means.

There are two systems on most vehicles, that stand out as being the most important.
The first is --- brakes. Gotta get it to stop no matter how it gets going.
The second --- is steering. You gotta control it while you're trying to stop it.

With that in mind, I have resolved to install an appropriate device to do the job.
A decision that I knew would be costly. But after making the undesirable decision to spend that much money,
I am happy that the steering system will have the right part for the task.

So after much searching for components and methods of steering, I have settled on this.
It's completely refurbished...it says.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264510850709

I offered $180 with free shipping, and he accepted my offer. It was the last one..the posting ended after I made my purchase.
I could have spent far less on buying an unrefurbished one but after some cost checking,
of the parts to rebuild a used one were still going to put the price up there.
This way its all done and I can concentrate on installing it.

It should be here by Friday...maybe.

Well, it's here and I'm super pleased. I was just a little concerned about the size of the gearbox.
But it will be just fine and depending on how I install it (vertical/angled) I may not have to shorten it.

If the refurbishing inside is anything like the really nice paint job, it's a winner.
When I get it out to the shop, I'll have a look inside to see what's what.

It turns super easy, with no discernable play.

Last edited:
It's been raining off and on for a few days and the last 4-5 have been steady around the clock.
Not so much to cause flooding but plenty of water.

Today it was super to get out, in the fresh air, get some weeding done, and work on installing the steering column.

I ripped out the old steering to make room for this. It's only lightly tacked, so I can see what's what.
I'm really glad I opted to go this route. It's so much better, not only for steering ease but for esthetics as well.

Need to put in another brace about where the foot throttle will be.

I'll make a new drag link. One that's bigger. But that means a trip to the supplier for tubing.
That's not in the cards at the moment.

Another good day weather-wise.

The steering column wants to move just a smidge.
The cross member is only .065 +/- and I didn't put any crush blocks in. (forgot)
So to crank down on the nuts too much will probably draw in the tube.
Anyway, I made up plates for the outside, (front/back. for added strength.

Using my DIY bolts

I'm still going to need some sort of bracing for the upper part of the column.
There will be constant tugging on it and it has a bit of lateral movement, that I want to get rid of.
Below is just the first thought I have.
There will be a battery cover and floorboard.
The brace will more than likely bolt to the floor (or through the floor) in some fashion, so it needs to be esthetically correct.
Also envisioning using a solid rod, (maybe 1/4") that would form a triangle between the column and the floor.
It would be the strongest.