Ed's 'StreetRunner' Quad Build

This morning got another semi-early start.

It's Saturday , don't like to start cutting, grinding to early out of respect for the neighbors.
I've switched to 1 x 1 for this piece. The kerfs are all cut, and it's in the floor jig.

I've welded in the cross pieces. Now to move on to the next bend cuts.
Set for cutting the lower bends.

The two frames didn't quite match.
So I broke loose the cross bars, and shaped the new frame in line with the first one.

All squared up..sorta..and locked in for tack welding.

FYI...The reason for the 1 x 1 1/2" tubing in the back, is the panel will fit inside.
I wanted to still have a fair amount of frame showing.

I've increased the width from front to back, to 14" OD.

Not much to show for today's work. Got the base of the new frame tack welded in.
Also had to weld up, all the new curved sections, and cut and straighten one leg, that didn't get bent exactly right.
It was on the bend/seam line, and was about a half inch off. So I cut it, straightened it, welded it, cut it again (in the right spot), bent it, and welded it back together.

For tomorrow I plan on cutting, and welding in braces, where you see the wood separators. (Six total)
Probably won't need to lay awake planning tonight. :)

Though I am having design issues with the roof line, style, and how to make it happen.

I'm getting low on welding gas, so I guess there's a trip to the gas guy soon.

I wonder how many, even know who Herman Munster is ?
Can never forget Officer Muldoon, Herman Munster or Judge Chamberlain Haller. Great actor, Fred Gwynne.
You just could not forget that face or that voice.

Ready for some final welds.

I also weighed this frame, and it was close to my previous guesstiment, of 30-40 pounds.
However it is a bit more than I thought, which doesn't surprise me.
As you see it, it weighs 42 pounds.

So roughly the build total, sits at around 152 pounds. I doubt I will be under my goal of 200 pounds,
so now I'm thinking, maybe .. 250 ish.

But,.... It is, what it is !

A FYI, final note regarding welding.

I have been having more difficulty seeing my weld beads, lately.
So I went looking for some answers, and the first place I like to go to, is Kevin Caron.

After watching his video, I checked my Vulcan helmet, and sure enough, the setting was way to high.
My helmet has the adjustments inside, with itty bitty letters and numbers.
I readjusted the setting from 11 1/2, back down to a 9. Voila!, I can see again.

The same story with my welding gas. Because I'm getting low, I thought maybe I'm using too much.

And here again, was a change, in my gas flow meter. Somehow, or a number of somehow's,
the flow was increased by +/- 10 cfh. I'm guessing that over time the hoses or something has come in contact (bumped)
up against the handle and has slowly moved it, to a higher setting.
And though I turn off my tanks on a regular basis, sometimes, when I've gone in for a cool off,
I found I had left the tanks on.....thus (leak off)
My bad. I usually check how much is left in the tank, but rarely check what the flow rate is, once I've set it.
THAT ! is going to change.

Thanks for the video.
I am looking for such a helmet. I have now just a thing that you hold in front of your face and still doesn't see anything. So I weld without it and just turn my head away. That improved the welds, but is still not great. So I need such a helmet.
This helps with setting it up, I never had such thing that you could adjust.

Thanks for the video.
I am looking for such a helmet. I have now just a thing that you hold in front of your face and still doesn't see anything. So I weld without it and just turn my head away. That improved the welds, but is still not great. So I need such a helmet.
This helps with setting it up, I never had such thing that you could adjust.
A good helmet, is worth the money, in eye safety, and convenience, not to mention quality welds.
Mine is a Vulcan Arc-Safe, brand. There are many choices, some which are prohibitive in cost.

https://www.harborfreight.com/arcsafe-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-63749.html

I'm sure you have some good ones where you live.
The auto darkening ones, are well worth the money...IMO.

I bought this particular one, because it has a switch that turns it from welding mode, to grinding/cutting mode.
A flick of the switch and continue working. No having to, have two different helmets. VERY useful.

Though I have 'flashed' myself, a couple of times, because I forgot to turn the switch back.o_O

" I have now just a thing that you hold in front of your face and still doesn't see anything."

As Kevin Caron shows in his video, the ambient light, whether it is sunlight or artificial, has an affect on how well one can see.
You need the inside of your helmet, to be dark, so you can concentrate on the weld pool.
Sometimes I have to throw a towel or something, over my helmet/head, because of the sun reflecting inside my helmet.

Good luck in finding a helmet.

P.S. I subscribe to Kevin Caron's youtube video's. He has many, many, from how to's,
to reviews of various types of metal working equipment, tips and tricks of the trade.

Last edited:
Ed, just a thought for you, something passed to me by the late Sandman (John) when I remarked that my gas ran out way too quickly and was a costly consumable.
"What flow rate are you using?" said John.
"Well, 10-12CFH like they tell you to." said I.
"Why are you doing what someone else says and not just doing what works". Said John.
Now, I may have my CFH/L-Min mixed up here but the basics of it was that his contention was to always run the gas as low as you could for the conditions prevailing and only up the flow rate any higher if there was evidence that it was required.

I took this on board and I run at 5-7 most of the time and my bottles are lasting a heck of a lot longer and my pocket-book thanks me.

Ed, just a thought for you, something passed to me by the late Sandman (John) when I remarked that my gas ran out way too quickly and was a costly consumable.
"What flow rate are you using?" said John.
"Well, 10-12CFH like they tell you to." said I.
"Why are you doing what someone else says and not just doing what works". Said John.
Now, I may have my CFH/L-Min mixed up here but the basics of it was that his contention was to always run the gas as low as you could for the conditions prevailing and only up the flow rate any higher if there was evidence that it was required.

I took this on board and I run at 5-7 most of the time and my bottles are lasting a heck of a lot longer and my pocket-book thanks me.
Good point.

I have been running at +/- 12-15 cfh. So with the recent discovery, I was around 25 cfh.

It's breezy where I live. I will play around with the setting a bit, and see if I can dial it down some.
I only tack weld inside and leave the major spark producing welds for outside.

But in doing that I have to been very mindful of the winds.
Early morning is best, but as the sun rises, the thermals start, ( usually by 9-10 am)
and I usually have to stop by then.

Thanks for your, and 'Johns' insight. It's back to basics.

Welding Gas Update..and Top Bows

I took the complete body frame outside early. Got all the remaining welds done.
Some mostly good, some bad, and a couple ugly.

I dialed the CFH back down to 12. Still works quite well. Having some trouble positioning the gun,
and keeping it steady, and on line, even though I can see the line much better. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Ground down all the outside welds where the outer skin will attach.

Now I'm working on making the top bows.

My tube bending equipment.
Starting with a 10' length of 3/4" EMT, measured off in 3" increments.
Each bend is measured in fractions of an inch. (Done purely by feel).

I made one, which surprisingly, took less time than I thought it would.
I guess all the practice I had making the Inferno frame, stayed with me.
I used the first one as my template. I have two done here.

First look to see how the bends compare to each other, and if I have caught the 'look' from the drawing.

Cool off break time.

OK. Had a cool off, and some cool refreshing Gatorade.

Moved the car outside to get a better perspective of the top bow curvature.

I think we're on the right track. I just need to make two more bows, just alike.

Last edited:
It's been too hot for this old brain...@ 7:45 pm it was still 102 F in my shop.
Tried to tough it out, but said to heck with it. Stayed long enough, to take a couple of photos.
There's always the cool morning.

Anyway, I think the heat has affected my senses.

I know I measured twice and cut once. BUT! something just doesn't look right.... 🙃
OH ! I know what it is. It's all in how you look at it.
Whew, thought I had screwed up.

This is more like it. Finished this morning, bending the last two top bows.
Did a straight edge, 'roll test', and they all line up virtually the same.
This layout is not how it will be when installed.

This pattern is closer to what I envision. ( I have plans for that center section ).
Next is to cut and weld in the cross pieces., and make the curved front corners.
I have 12 points that need coping.

As ever, I always show my Oop's, and screw ups, as well as the good.

Here's a BIG Oops

A big Oops, was discovered after I had already welded up the rounded corners.
The two rounded corners, (drivers side) don't match, the two on the passengers side.

Why I didn't see it before I welded them, I don't know. That ...."Can't see the trees, for the forest" .... thing.

Well, I can't leave it like that. I thought about, having to re-cut the one side that was not right.
But I am too far along to do that. So I'm just going to add a piece, shaped from the good side.
I'll weld that in place and then fill in the space with a fancy corner, to cover the difference. But, please, don't tell anyone. 🤫

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Considering how far (and fast) this build has progressed, one small booboo like this is nothing!
I bet you thought about it all last night and decided to make a new corner... just guessing knowing your level of excellence to the craft!!

Brad

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I think you guys missed the point. I don't think there was any mistake at all.
Pretty sure Ed was intentionally being silly & making a joke with that pipe upside down.