e-warrior

I've resurected my warrior trike. It's had many changes and I'm using it as an ideas platform. The latest change is an electric drive which I need some advice on.

The trike has a middle bottom bracket (see photo).
The motor is on the left hand side of the trike it drives a 16t cog on that bottom bracket that turns a 40t cog on the righthandside of the trike which with a chain attaches to the rear wheels cassette, so basically the motor can take advantage of the bikes gears.

I'm thinking of changing the 16t motor cog for a bigger one in the hope that by doing this it will increase the acceleration/torque of the trike? - thats the advice I need

The trike does have pedals by the way (see second photo). The trike goes pretty good, the mid drive position gives great handling and with the motors help gets me to 20mph. The motor works well on hills if I hit them at speed but if I have to slow down then I grind to a halt. The motor came from an izip bike (motor on back wheel) and although it did not have the trikes top speed it did tackle hills better so something is wrong with my gearing.

changing a 16t to a larger sprocket on the motor to a larger sprocket will not increase the toque but increase the top speed IF the motor has enough power, which I dout. For better acceleration etc look at going to a 750-1000w bafang mid drive motor. This is what I am running and it has LOTS of acceleration and toque. Will peel rubber at full throttle on blacktop for about 3 feet in ultra low gear. In low gear will top out at 18 - 20 mph regardless of hills etc.

But that trike has rear suspension. The "Warrior" doesn't. The Street-Fox is the one with suspension isn't it?

a mid drive is needed IF you want performance. A hub drive is for just cruising around town. No off road stuff. IMO

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
My thoughts are leaning to that 40t driving the rear chain. It is the same as riding a conventional bike using a large front chainring. Work out the gearing with 40t driving whatever you have on the back wheels. It is going to be a fair load, even with the lowest gear on the back.

I experimented with something similar, can't remember if it had the front eAssist or not at the time, but the drive to the rear chain was much, much smaller than 40t if I remember correctly. What I have now is a 46t single chainring on a Bafang 250W at the pedals, driving a 48t at the mid BB, with selectable 48t, 38t and 28t drive from there to a conventional 8-speed rear wheel. The only regret I have is that I may have been better off with a 48t at the pedals. There is more than enough grunt to get up any rises that I encounter with a nagging fear of stripping something in the motor. I will only know if it happens and I don't want to do that.

I am building a new trike that will have something different again. See my eLecTricks thread elsewhere.

a mid drive is needed IF you want performance. A hub drive is for just cruising around town. No off road stuff. IMO
OK I didn't know that.

I wanted first something like that instead of a hub motor, but I only want it for touring and just some suport.

But that trike has rear suspension. The "Warrior" doesn't. The Street-Fox is the one with suspension isn't it?
That's true but I followed the warrior plans rather loosely. I did not see the point in building a rear end when I had an old suspension bike to use