drum brake hubs

I consider getting some drum brake hubs for a tadpole project.

Sturmey archer do 2 sizes 70 or 90mm.

Is there a big different in the braking capacity of the different sizes?

Do you need the 90mm brake hubs for a tadpole?

Pegasus

I think if you are buying them new I would spend the extra and get the 90mm , it has been possible in the past to get the 70mm s/hand or NOS as they are more numerous than the 90mm version.

They were developed for velomobile which have greater mass and speed and the 70mm under certain conditions were found wanting.

My fully loaded trike with me [ 75 kg ] has an adequate reserve of braking with 70mm , however at sub 25 kpm and no e-assist.

Paul

ps a tadpole ? are you mad ?

I'm using mechanical disks. Now looking at bigger disks and more calipers.
Grey Ghost is a heavy bitch with all the mods, and I'm a 250lbs guy. Rear shock ain't happy with it either.

Looked into the rebuild of 90mm Sturmey's, to combine them with disks. Noth worth the effort for the results.
Probably will do it if I get acces to second hand 90mm's, just for the learning experience.

I really like the stopping power of Hydraulic discs on my current tadpole, but the SA 90mm drum hubs have (to my mind) a lot going for them.

• Less fiddly to set-up, align etc.
  • Virtually maintenance free.
  • The shoes on them seem to last a lifetime.
  • Unaffected by rain, snow.
  • Dead easy to pop a wheel off for maintenance and no resetting of caliper alignment etc. etc.
Just my 2-penneth.

I really like the stopping power of Hydraulic discs on my current tadpole, but the SA 90mm drum hubs have (to my mind) a lot going for them.

• Less fiddly to set-up, align etc.
  • Virtually maintenance free.
  • The shoes on them seem to last a lifetime.
  • Unaffected by rain, snow.
  • Dead easy to pop a wheel off for maintenance and no resetting of caliper alignment etc. etc.
Just my 2-penneth.
I looked ad it and I agree with you on all those points.
The only reason why I went for disk brakes again, is the price. Else I would have bought them in black. They look great and have all those advantages.
Maybe next time.