Does anybody know this bike?

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place on the forum.
I have found photos of a wooden recumbent on Pinterest, which were linked to this forum, but the link does not work anymore. Does anybody know the builder, or has extra photos? I am particularly interested in the dimensions of the main chassis beam.

Ok first off...

There was an older Forum only recently vacated and the picture is there , try this link :-

https://web.archive.org/web/20150414181055/https://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3784&catid=popimages&orderby=views

It does have a few dimensions ?

Description by Dancy

Frame constructed from 1/2" plywood, "chain stays" are 3/4" oak, and seat supports are 3/4" plywood. Almost 9' long and weighs a bit over 50 lbs.

At a guess the front wheel will be 20" and the rear either 24" or more likely 26"

this forum has this to say about Dancy

Dancy

From Norfolk, VA
Joined Jul 9, 2013

Last seen Jan 27, 2015

Stormbird, thanks for your help. Too bad I can not find more info about Dancy, maybe old posts in which the bike was mentioned. I would like to know the width and height of the frame. Any tips are appreciated!

Well there are plenty of clues ? i.e

the width can be worked out by using the width of the rear wheel axle and deducting chain stay width + a doubler at frame end + maybe a small spacer , as main frame is 1/2" plywood that will be either 2 or 3 or more likely 4 thicknesses ?

height of frame ? not sure what you mean by this.

Do you realise it will not be a very nice bike to ride ?

To long having the turning circle of a battleship

To much tiller making it difficult to start off and do any sharp turns

Probably to little trail...

There are better bikes out there.

Have you tried a simple Google search ? wooden recumbent plans

Also it is not a no-weld option , there are lots of custom brackets attaching metal bits to wooden bits..

Last edited:
Thanks stormbird. I am aware this bike is not a great one. I just wanted to know how the main chassis boom reacts under stress. Since I want to build a wooden recumbent as well and I dont know how big the chassis should be. The difference is that I will base my plans on Brad's.

Paul,

I want to replicate the plans of the Marauder as much as possible. I really like the low look of it, and I am looking for a high speed bike, which it should be. That is a very long bike, so the strength of the frame is important. I am sure a 2x4 would hold, but it is as heavy as a battleship, to use your words ;) My running plan for now is to have 2 sheets of high quality birch ply of 9 mm (3/8") thick, with a 4 cm (1,5") hardfoam core, finished with glasfiber and epoxy. I don't think I need a chassisbeam of 4" if I use the ply and hardfoam, but 1,5" as by the original plans is to narrow for sure. I am now thinking of 2,75" height, but I can not back it up with any calculations since I do not have that knowledge.
However, I am looking at a lot of different plans of wooden recumbents, aspecially for the fixings of the wheels, BB, steering etc. I have read some info about trail etc, but since I use the measurements of the Marauder, that should be ok. I will send you a PM for the plans.
Why wood? I like working with it. I like the sawdust. My hobby is making wooden toys. My workshop is filled with woodworking tools. I can not weld, although I am sure I can learn. And, I just want to try. Maybe I will fail, but I will learn from it.
Bob

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
DR. Bob: This whole forum is about "Maybe I will fail". The other side of the coin is "Maybe I won't". You will never know until you give it a go. Sure, it may be 3 steps forward, followed by 2 steps backward at times, but so is life.

Give it a go. You'll be better for having tried it - but be prepared to not stop at just one.