DIY hubs?

still fermenting the idea of a 26 x 4 tadpole trike but wheels and hubs for the front are an issue.
Utah trikes, fat tire hubs for 20mm axles are $75 each
Conjuring up idea to go the DIY route. Did this before but slightly different and a never finished.
PLAN purchase sealed ball bearings
https://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/100850--prf-122214-2rs-3-4-bulk-bearings.html

then purchase some DOM tubing
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=9552&step=4&showunits=inches&id=283&top_cat=197

procure large steel washers, weld to tubing for spoke flanges. Both hubs for less than $35 - $40.
really contemplating this. My issue may be welding the washers. Need clean perfect weld. MAYBE?
Any thoughts on this process??

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
procure large steel washers, weld to tubing for spoke flanges. Both hubs for less than $35 - $40.
really contemplating this. My issue may be welding the washers. Need clean perfect weld. MAYBE?
Any thoughts on this process??
Do you have, or have access to, a simple CAD program for accurately placing x spoke holes at a specific radius? If so, design, print off a few copies, mark outer circumference, centre, and spoke hole location with a centre punch, etc., in a sheet of the required steel size, drill, cut, grind, etc., and there you have it (them) at whatever size you want. Accuracy, within reason, is not all that important, to a point, as the spoke adjustment will take care of that.

I rough-cut all flanges, marked/punched one unit completely, clamped all units together and drilled a centre hole through the stack. Then I disassembled the stack, re-stacked it with the punched disc on top, placed a bolt through the stack, did it up real tight and drilled all spoke holes through the stack. I then placed the stack in a drill press and attacked it with an angle grinder while it was rotating.

Feel free to copy/modify to your heart's content. It works.

Why chase 20mm hubs

BMX hubs with 14mm axles should be plenty strong enough.

Get two 20" BMX wheels unlace the hubs and lace to 26" rims job done ?

REASON for larger axle = will be installing 26 x 3 fat tires and don't trust a 14mm axle. I run 14mm on my tadpole but 20 inch wheels. Large wheel = more leverage.
Maybe Cat trike has a reason they are using 20mm axles.

If it is absolutely essential then use DMR front hubs and single-side them.
But then the cost is the same as your Utah Trikes hubs I guess.
I used this approach on my current tourer. I have 20mm tube axles with 12.9 hardness bolts through that.
NOTHING is going to make that axle bend.
It isn't all plain sailing to do but perseverance pays off.

Last edited:
I used Brads flat bar idea on my two Delta style trikes and it works very well. I am rethinking the large washer idea but need the thickness of the DOM tube to hold the flanged bearings or have the bearings mounted to the kingpin and axle/wheel are secured together and the axle rotates instead of the wheel rotating on the axle. Somewhere some one posted a drawing of this configuration.
NOTE the DOM tubing must be long enough to capture the bearing and the bearings are I think? .498 thick??

Well thanks to Brad in #6 (it rekindled some ideas) I am now planing on three wheels (two front 1 rear) 26 x 4 48h wheels.
48 spokes are stronger than 36 and look more stealthy for the RECON LIZARD.
Just need to get bearings ordered, locate some DOM tubing and wide bar stock (1/8")