DIY Electric Tractor and Dump Trike!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Wow have I been busy out here on this farm!
Last day I had to work on the Yard Mule was the last day I posted.
It mainly rained today, so I started putting things together, lifting the tarp as I went along.

Started on the small parts such as head tube bearings, forks, and this cool giant firetruck light I hacked to fit.

Installed a new tire and cleaned up the old rim. It actually looks not too bad now.

Shined up the chrome, installed the rear wheels and all of the differential internals again.
I still have to seal the back cover and fill the gear oil, but that's for another day.

If I can find a fill sunny day sometime in the near future, I can be driving back up the hill in the Yard Mule!
This Beast of Burden actually looks almost too nice for what I intend to use it for.

Will update the blog next time I can, whenever that may be!

Cheers,
Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Just about done now.
Still need to fill up the rear gearbox and do a bit more wiring, but it rides and looks great.

The arm extends for tilting the dump box. The chain stops the box just before it hits the ground.

Shown fully tipped with tailgate installed. The dump box also removes easily. Just unlatch the chain and drive away.

Tailgate removed.

This is all there is to the motor and transmission! So much nicer than a loud, oily, belching gas beast.

I will update the Blog on the next rainy day.
DIY Plan to follow sometime this fall.

Now the Yard Mule goes into service, moving chords of firewood from the bush back to the house.
That trailer hitch will come in handy when I want to haul the log splitter way out in the back 40.

Brad

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I decided that practicality was goal number one, so I scrapped the human power idea.
It would certainly work, but to cross the yard would have been a 20 minute workout.
the only onlookers out here are bears, dear, moose and other smaller critters!

Brad

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Stunning work, Brad! WTG! Yet ANOTHER amazing AZ creation!
If I still lived in a rural area, I could see me wanting plans for something like this!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Let's go to work, Mule!

In the old days, I would have to fell a tree, buck it up, move the logs, split the logs, move the wood to the shed, then stack.
Now I only have to move wood once rather than three times.
I just take the splitter into the bush and come home with a half chord of split firewood!
Chainsaw in the back with enough gas for the entire day.

Brad

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Great job Brad. Does it have any tendency towards wanting to wind over the rear wheels when loaded? As a teenager, I drove a tractor once with a rear carry-all with a few bales of hay on it. While negotiating a dip through a gateway, the front suddenly reared up when more torque was required to keep the rear wheels turning. I was ready for it as I was half expecting it with the load I was carrying and it came back to earth with a quick clutch operation. I turned the tractor around and reversed through the gateway.

I have seen many videos of "clowns" on tractors being caught unawares when this happens. Going up a hill exacerbates the problem. Like all things, proper care.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
So far no problems, and that road you see just in front is a 60% grade!
I will be moving a lot more heavy loads once I get the final videos done, so I will attempt to pull a wheelie.
Will try blasting through the ditch with a full load of logs to see what happens.
The motor controller has a nice ramped acceleration, so I won't get caught off guard.

brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Nice photo op. in front of the wildflowers today!

I have added new 80 amp hour deep cycle AGM batteries, a horn, half power switch, charge port, and a bush whackin' chain guard.
The Yard Mule is now complete and has worked well. I will be doing heavy load tests and videos soon.
Perhaps a full 275 gallon IBC water tote? Now that would be 2.3 tons... enough to make a pickup truck cry.

Brad

Maybe I am wrong?? water weights 7 pounds per gallo x 275 = 1925 pounds.
maybe water weighs more in the north?

Maybe I am wrong?? water weights 7 pounds per gallo x 275 = 1925 pounds.
maybe water weighs more in the north?
One gallon I believe is 8.34 pounds = 2,293.5 pounds 🤔
Plus the weight of the Yard Mule AND Brad, right after a big meal maybe ? 😀

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Yes, 2293 pounds of water + the 120 pound container.
Since an IBC fits nicely in the dump box, I am going to load one up empty, then fill it up with the garden hose.
I will drive it out to the far trees and give them a good shower using an electric pump, running on the Mule auxiliary port.

Brad

Yes, 2293 pounds of water + the 120 pound container.
Since an IBC fits nicely in the dump box, I am going to load one up empty, then fill it up with the garden hose.
I will drive it out to the far trees and give them a good shower using an electric pump, running on the Mule auxiliary port.

Brad
Cool Brad

You going to film it?

One gallon I believe is 8.34 pounds = 2,293.5 pounds 🤔
Plus the weight of the Yard Mule AND Brad, right after a big meal maybe ? 😀
Maybe Brad meant real IMPERIAL Gallons like, you know, the "real" ones that we Brits have, not those cut-down American ones? 8 pints, where each pint is 20 fluid ounces and not 16 fluid ounces ;)
A UK Gallon of fresh water weighs 10.022 pounds, a TON is 2240 (UK LONG TON) pounds so 275 x 10 = 2750 pounds + the tare weight of the container, but that's nowhere near 2+ tons is it?
2 long tons would be 4480 pounds and 2 American "Short-Tons" would be 4408 pounds.

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Oh yeah... tons = 2240 pounds.
Forget all of these units, let me reword it correctly...

I am going to fill up an IBC with water, and dang that's gonna be heavy as hell.
You can't even do that on a pickup truck without a special license in most places.

I also have a massive load of wet wood chips to move tomorrow, 8 feet x 4 feet x 2 feet.
Anyone want to guess what that weights?
A massive loader brought it in 2 scoops to my trailer, which sank instantly to the frame.

Brad

Four Shillings and Sixpence three farthings? :ROFLMAO: