Danny's Daily Delta

And this is the same rim after a 15 minute "quiet discussion" it had with my feet and some timber.
I might be able to save it after all. 🤪

Phase 1 .... "I'm very disappointed with your attitude".

Phase 2 .... "I see you are coming around to my way of thinking; there is hope for you yet".

But can we ever trust you again?

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
It is only a little bit more buckled than a rim with a broken spoke. Enough pressure in the right direction should fix it if it is not cracked anywhere. It makes the wheels that I have re-purposed look pretty scary and I haven't had any trouble. But then, I don't try to find performance limitations.

My last buckle ended up much the same as yours when I hit a sudden level transition in the dead of night. A few clamps, vise grips, terse words, etc., and it was soon better than it started out. I couldn't tell the difference between it and a new one and I'm sure that judging by its donor, was a very cheap rim.

Could you trust it again? It depends on how much you stress it. A bulldozer is probably a better choice for trying to move bollards though.

No pressure but...
Where's your sense of challenge. Your can-do attitude.
Remember you will get further with gentle persuasion and fineness, then stomping on it.

If car shops can straighten car frames, you should be able to tweek an itty bitty rim....right?
My thoughts go immediately to the process of truing, a wheel. Not saying that will work here, just a path to look down.

Looks like you have a good start. If you should accept this mission, remember that the metal has a memory,
and will require adjusting back past the 'sweet spot' thus allowing for 'spring back'.

If it is destined for the trash bin, then nothing is lost, but knowledge will be gained.
Oh, and then there is the entertainment value for the rest of us......:ROFLMAO:
Please record your efforts, jigs, persuasion tools, etc. so we can all learn from this experience.

If it is destined for the trash bin, then nothing is lost, but knowledge will be gained.
Oh, and then there is the entertainment value for the rest of us......:ROFLMAO:
Please record your efforts, jigs, persuasion tools, etc. so we can all learn from this experience.
.. and accidents :sneaky:😁

Looking good Dan (y)

We had a few more "words" today and I think this is the best I can get.
The rest might come out in the truing of the wheel.

Dan

Looks good from here , how many mm do you think it is out ?

It would make a good wheel for a test mule like trike where you might ride it locally but not go on longer trips with it...

Trouble with that approach is the cost of the hub you might put into it ?

Dan

Looks good from here , how many mm do you think it is out ?

It would make a good wheel for a test mule like trike where you might ride it locally but not go on longer trips with it...

Trouble with that approach is the cost of the hub you might put into it ?
It is still about 3-4mm out I think. There is a pronounced distortion in one chord area. I might be able to take that out if I can clamp the chord in a vice and yank on the part of the rim just above the chord.
As you say, still good for "second-best". Actually, I have another set of entirely good rims & tyres of exactly this type in the shed that are attached to the DRM hubs of the late WD-2. Those will need a new purpose in life at some point. Saying that, I wonder if I can re-use them and my cable-operated disc brakes on some swing-arms? :unsure:

And in the race to supply parts to get this would-be "Python-Pilot" back in the saddle the winner is........ Paul (Stormbird); whose replacement QR tubes arrived at 12:00 mid-day today via the lovely Hermes Lady.
The new rim and associated QR pin etc. that arrived 12:42 via "Parcel-Farce" who come in a poor second 'a day late and a dollar-short' despite being paid extra for 2-day service.

Last edited:
So you see this piece ?

You know if you made a square piece to replace the round tube holding the bearings ? that had tabs on it that slide over the square frame behind it and took the 12mm bolt ?

You could use it as a non pivoting attachment for a different front end ? then with your higher seat and braked rear end you could try either a MMB or twisting chain FWD or maybe even a F'lowroller style MBB ?

... :whistle: just thinking out aloud .....

Update 16th May 2020:
It lives Igor, It lives!

And to prove it, I went for a ride.

Last edited:
Well done that man.

Hip pain ? is that a Python phenomenon or usual in most of your riding ?

Well done that man.

Hip pain ? is that a Python phenomenon or usual in most of your riding ?
Not "Normal" no. It started after an aggressive bout on the treadmill yesterday (clues are there then). ;)
Whether the Python "leg-steering" is accentuating it I cannot say. If it wasn't there in the first place, maybe it wouldn't be noticeable.

So we can go left & right and round in circles/8's but we have no idea or "sense" of where the edges of the trike are yet.

That will come, I am sure.

I watched your video's. Looks good.
How is it riding compared with your other Trike?
When you drove without your hands, I noticed that your steering when from left to right. Wasn't it hard to keep it in a straight line?

I watched your video's. Looks good.
How is it riding compared with your other Trike?
When you drove without your hands, I noticed that your steering when from left to right. Wasn't it hard to keep it in a straight line?
Hi Emiel, the riding is fine, the L-R nodding of the front end is almost unavoidable when pushing the pedals one side and the other for each revolution. But it does not really affect the general direction of the trike I think. It is a tiny zig-zag along a generally straight line overall. The movement of your hips and legs is what does the steering in hands-free mode. very tight turns may require you to pull on the bars. It is surprisingly "easy" (famous last words) to get comfortable with. I am pleased with it (so far) but don't tell Paul, because he will assume I am a born-again Pythoneer :ROFLMAO:

Hi Emiel, the riding is fine, the L-R nodding of the front end is almost unavoidable when pushing the pedals one side and the other for each revolution. But it does not really affect the general direction of the trike I think. It is a tiny zig-zag along a generally straight line overall.
The nodding becomes more pronounced when hill climbing , however as Dan reports whilst it is visible the trike does not deviate from the desired path , certainly not enough to use the bars to correct it.
There is someone on Bent RiderOnline who is convinced Pythons cannot climb hills hands free !
How he thinks the bikes cope when 90% of them have the handle bars on the rear non-steering portion I do not know :LOL:

The movement of your hips and legs is what does the steering in hands-free mode. very tight turns may require you to pull on the bars.
Initially I though you were pushing with your ankle however as Dan says it's actually your hips that cause the steering , if you rock your hips to the left it steers I can only assume rocking your hips lengthens that leg and so push's directly on the pedals for a turn.

It is surprisingly "easy" (famous last words) to get comfortable with. I am pleased with it (so far) but don't tell Paul, because he will assume I am a born-again Pythoneer :ROFLMAO:
I think the trike looks deceptively simple probably because the front end looks less cluttered then a tadpole , this seems to invoke all sorts of weird questions how do you steer , where are the brakes etc.
You tend to ride it for a bit concentrating and gripping the bars then suddenly you remove your hands and the world seems to just carry on in the same manner , it can them become irritating when you need the brakes or a gear change. Of course long distance ridding is a doodle I can add/remove a sweat shirt , use my phone , camera or eat or drink all without stopping [ I draw the line at toilet functions thought [ I am no Tour De France rider :ROFLMAO:]]

Keep on riding and the zig-zag soon will disappear. You will also find that the roads unevenness will efect you less and less.
But stay away from mountain bike tracks with velodrome curves, just a warning from experience.