Dalerider of this parish giving it his all @ Hillingdon today

Hi all

Not his own/design build [ yet ] but getting much further than I ever did racing !
Race 1

Race 2

Well done Martin

Paul

Wow! Well done that man. :)

Thanks guys, didn't expect to be able to do 2 races..., but I did.
Had problems, no middle gears. The gear cable stretched and made my indexer shifter unable to find middle gears.
Didn't have time, or forgot to fit an adjuster, lesson learnt!
Hillingdon is pretty up and down with heavy climbs in places.. for me anyway (that where my gears slipped awfully).
Others seemed to shoot passed me, 'arm powered' ruled the day in the slow race, absolutely awesome.
Forgot to mention, I'm a out of condition, an old has been, lard bucket.
We will see if there is any improvements at the end of the season, for a rerun at Hillingdon.
Great fun, highly recommended.
Martin.
Forgot to mention, can't wait for the next event at Bath 23rd April.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, didn't expect to be able to do 2 races..., but I did.
Had problems, no middle gears. The gear cable stretched and made my indexer shifter unable to find middle gears.
Didn't have time, or forgot to fit an adjuster, lesson learnt
TBH friction is best can tolerate loads of cable slack and still work , can your levers be switched between the 2 ? a lot of them can ?

Paul

Friction would have been an option. The trouble didn't show up on practise runs.
The front derailleur is friction, the rear, because you can't see the gears need indexing really.
During the race when you apply full throttle the hard pedal pressure exacerbated the problem.
Next time I will do harder practise runs, not just save energy so much, which I thought I needed to do.
Martin.

Friction would have been an option. The trouble didn't show up on practise runs.
Yes you can never have enough practice.

The front derailleur is friction, the rear, because you can't see the gears need indexing really
I believe that's just a myth ?
We came from a time when there was no indexing and had no problems ?
In a way now I think it is easier as the throw is less between gears , and one good ear is enough to tell you whether you need to feather it or not ?

I rode this for weeks before I removed the slack !

Paul

Well a revisit is getting close. I hope to do better than 14.07mph now. It's a medium tough track as it has climbs. Enough to take you from top to bottom gearing. If you have the legs then you shoot up the hills. If not like my damaged muscles it's hard work. The machine is doing the best it can but I need to have battle hardened muscles, if possible. Can't wait.... I may have a new machine to hand too. But, do I use a well trusted steed or go with a new bucking bronco???

Well a revisit is getting close. I hope to do better than 14.07mph now. It's a medium tough track as it has climbs. Enough to take you from top to bottom gearing. If you have the legs then you shoot up the hills. If not like my damaged muscles it's hard work. The machine is doing the best it can but I need to have battle hardened muscles, if possible. Can't wait.... I may have a new machine to hand too. But, do I use a well trusted steed or go with a new bucking bronco???
Only you can really judge that Martin.
You do know how the Windie rides, have you had any real "saddle-time" in the 2-wheeler upon which to make a comparative judgement?

Good luck either way. :)